Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Elvis For Everyone FTD release yes or not.

Poll ended at Wed Dec 26, 2012 4:33 am

Yes.
74%
No.
26%

Total votes : 27

Elvis For Everyone FTD release

Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:33 am

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

Today I was thinking how many years FTD will go on and after reading several topics on this subject I reached the conclusion that it will be probably between 3 to 5 years :(. I can´t recall any mention on a FTD release of Elvis For Everyone. It would be great to have this released under the FTD collectors label 8). Looking at the tracking list it could be filled with many of the outtakes that were left out of Classic FTD releases like Pot Luck and Something For Everybody and some soundtracks like Wild in the Country, Flaming Star, Follow That Dream and Viva Las Vegas. What do you think?. Thanks. Bye for now :smt006.

Re: Elvis For Everyone FTD release

Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:56 am

I don't think this one is a good idea...especially since there was a "Wild in the Country" FTD already. The UK version is basically a "Wild in the Country" soundtrack with bonus songs added.

Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:04 am

My guess is that the outtakes left off the discs mentioned were left off for a reason, with possibly only VLV being a space issue as that was a single disc. While there are undoubtedly takes in the vaults, do we really need and want every take of every song? I certainly don't. My buying of late has really been quite selective anyway - too many Elvis discs were being bought, played once and then put on a shelf with the likelihood they were never going to be played again. I'd rather explore other artists work than buy stuff I don't really need or want beyond one hearing.

Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:30 am

I remember getting this under the Elvis In the 90's umbrella and was glad to hear it then because some of the tracks were new to me as a fairly new Elvis fan but since then we've had it all again on various CD's so no,it's not one I would particularly welcome.It was a leftover album when it was originally released in 1965 and even more so now even though I digged it back when I first heard it
norrie

Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:32 am

id rather have more outtakes than more 1977 era soundboards anyday.

Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:55 am

ritchie valens wrote:id rather have more outtakes than more 1977 era soundboards anyday.

I agree with you on that point but if you look at the FTD catalogue there aren't very many '77 soundboards.Not saying thats a bad thing,just saying.

norrie

Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:26 am

Mike Windgren wrote:It would be great to have this released under the FTD collectors label 8).

But with the UK cover please. Always loved it... Very "Star Trek"(ish)

Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:55 am

With the U.K. cover? NOT!

Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:18 pm

This would be a great FTD lp with bonus

Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:47 pm

i would love it for completeness love the american cover why shouldnt they release it tickle me came out on ftd with nothing new on it

Sun Dec 16, 2012 3:59 pm

Julian Grant wrote:
Mike Windgren wrote:It would be great to have this released under the FTD collectors label 8).

Very "Star Trek"(ish)

lol I agree. Gotta love those pants...

Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:45 pm

Julian Grant wrote:

But with the UK cover please. Always loved it... Very "Star Trek"(ish)

I prefer the the starkness and simplicity of the original UK cover too [a "Tickle Me" publicity shot].

elvis-for-everyone-rear-uk-1965-.jpg

Although, the artwork of the 1972 UK reissue [below] is superior again [you can just hear the sound of the NBC video tape rolling...].

elvis-for-everyone-uk-1972-.jpeg

uk-1972-rear-.jpeg

I have no doubt Elvis For Everyone! will eventually see release on FTD.

Hopefully - unlike the "Hits of the 70's" debacle - FTD will be more creative in their tracklist and sequence.

Certainly, the unreleased maracas anomaly of Wild in the Country should be an absolute must for such an upgrade [even if only ripped from the vinyl].

It would also be nice to hear the overdubbed version of Tomorrow Night in true stereo - if indeed the original March '65 session tape exists in a multi-track form.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:30 pm

Now I'm getting confused - there was a UK issued of Elvis for Everyone? So, what was the Summer Kisses Winter Tears album then? I thought we had that instead of EFE?

Sun Dec 16, 2012 6:31 pm

elvisalisellers wrote:I have no doubt Elvis For Everyone! will eventually see release on FTD.

I would'nt bet on it. Ernst already got his share of negative criticism by fans over the whole "Hits Of The 70's" debacle.

Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:05 pm

When I bought the LP back in 1965, I was only recently a fan of Elvis, so for me, it was all new songs. Of course, the back cover only advertized (thanks to the Colonel) other albums, there were no credits either for the song's sources, nor for the musicians etc... The compilation was made of mostly left overs but I played a thousand times Memphis Tennessee, on my turn-table. Couldn't get enough of it: the beat drum à la "Sing Sing Sing" was just too much. Now do we need it on the FTD label. For Completion only I would say, but it's not a priority to me. That said, it could be an opportunity for FTD to add some outtakes that couldn't be squizzed in ealier FTD release: maybe Pot Luck for example, or movie soundtracks, or some home recordings from Monovale Drive in 1960...
Last edited by Tornado on Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:51 pm

This release came out in 1965 as a supposed 10th anniversary LP. At the time the buzz was a new studio album was coming from Elvis and it would have been welcome after so many soundtracks. We were even hoping of a possible TV shot on Sullivan or another show. What we got was an album of leftover tracks spanning the 10 years and while some were good, they did not make this a good album at all, especially with what was happening in 1965 musically. Elvis should have put his foot down and stopped this release as it only made him seem more out of it musically. What do I think of an FTD release? Sure why not. Fans absolutely love to spend their money on the same material over & over again.

Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:26 pm

poormadpeter wrote:Now I'm getting confused - there was a UK issued of Elvis for Everyone?

Yes, see the original "Tickle Me" UK cover shot above.

poormadpeter wrote:So, what was the Summer Kisses Winter Tears album then? I thought we had that instead of EFE?

A different album entirely. One that re-issued some long deleted tracks from the 'Loving You' 10" plus 2 unreleased [in the UK] 'Flaming Star' recordings.

Because of it's appearance on FS&SK, Summer Kisses, Winter Tears was replaced by the exclusive maracas mix of Wild in the Country on the UK/European release of EFE.
Last edited by elvisalisellers on Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:38 pm

TCB-FAN wrote:
elvisalisellers wrote:I have no doubt Elvis For Everyone! will eventually see release on FTD.

I would'nt bet on it. Ernst already got his share of negative criticism by fans over the whole "Hits Of The 70's" debacle.

I think it's already been noted that Ernst Jorgensen had nothing to do with "Hits of the 70's".

And although I don't have it to confirm :D ; I recall someone mentioning that his name is not on the FTD album credits either.

"Hits of the 70's" in it's FTD incarnation, appears to be a purely Roger Semon escapade.

Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:14 pm

elvisalisellers wrote:
TCB-FAN wrote:

I think it's already been noted that Ernst Jorgensen had nothing to do with "Hits of the 70's".

And although I don't have it to confirm :D ; I recall someone mentioning that his name is not on the FTD album credits either.

"Hits of the 70's" in it's FTD incarnation, appears to be a purely Roger Semon escapade.

You're right, I checked, only Roger's name is credited.

Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:32 am

elvisalisellers wrote:
TCB-FAN wrote:

Someone has the call on what FTD products get released, and the assumption is that person is Ernst. While he might not have had a hands on approach with the actual product, there is little doubt that he agreed to the idea. Everyone states here that FTD is Ernst's baby - it's not possible to only say that when it suits.

Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:17 am

I would welcome "Elvis For Everyone" in the FTD Classic albums series. After all - it belongs there, it can't be compared to "Hits Of The 70's". EFE was marketed as a "new" Elvis album, even though it wasn't... but that's hardly the point - "Fool" and "Elvis Now" also featured tracks pulled together from different sources, although the results were (somewhat) more coherent.

Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:54 am

Ofcourse this will see FTD release eventually but I dislike this album for many reasons. First is that the song selection is very incoherent: à hodgy podge album that showed clearly Elvis and The Colonel had no artistic aspiration at all. The album illustrates this perfectly and the lay out shows it was only to celebrate Elvis being à millionaire for 10 years. The perfect alternate title would have been ELVIS - FOR DOLLARS ONLY.

Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:16 pm

How about an "Elvis for Nobody in Particular" Album.

Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:37 pm

REBL wrote:How about an "Elvis for Nobody in Particular" Album.

Exactly!

Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:15 am

Hav-A-Tampa wrote:I would welcome "Elvis For Everyone" in the FTD Classic albums series. After all - it belongs there, it can't be compared to "Hits Of The 70's". EFE was marketed as a "new" Elvis album, even though it wasn't... but that's hardly the point - "Fool" and "Elvis Now" also featured tracks pulled together from different sources, although the results were (somewhat) more coherent.

Exactly 8) :D