Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Jonas Mekas incredible MSG footage.

Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:01 am

Sorry if this is a repost, but this is the first time I saw these 'high speed' clips.
16mm, razor sharp footage, totally exciting.

Should be possible to slow down this footage and back up with the new SA release sound.. or June 10th multi track sound..
A multi angle approach is also possible with the NBC footage around.

Why hasn't this footage been released?
Is it a financial matter?

phpBB [video]

Re: Jonas Mekas incredible MSG footage.

Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:27 am

I said much the same thing in reply to a post of yours Robert, here > viewtopic.php?f=1&t=73721&p=1108146&hilit=jonas+mekas#p1108146 :wink:

It would be nice to think something will get done soon, as Jonas Mekas turns 90 years old this Christmas eve...

Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:39 am

Robert -Footge is brilliant - ty for sharing this -

Ernst /Sony -Please take note - may be one day we will get sharper footage of this show - Lovn This -

Ty so much 4 Sharing it
::rocks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:48 am

elvisalisellers wrote:I said much the same thing in reply to a post of yours Robert, here > viewtopic.php?f=1&t=73721&p=1108146&hilit=jonas+mekas#p1108146 :wink:

It would be nice to think something will get done soon, as Jonas Mekas turns 90 years old this Christmas eve...

I wonder if the Sony PFAP producers tried to obtain this footage.
If they didn't contact him, it's a lost opportunity.
Ernst should have known about these tapes?

Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:54 am

Robert wrote:
elvisalisellers wrote:I said much the same thing in reply to a post of yours Robert, here > viewtopic.php?f=1&t=73721&p=1108146&hilit=jonas+mekas#p1108146 :wink:

I wonder if the Sony PFAP producers tried to obtain this footage.
If they didn't contact him, it's a lost opportunity.
Ernst should have known about these tapes?

Ty Robert for ya quic reply ta this - Yes Ernst must or could have known of these tapes and perhaps hes just waitn for nex tyme to distribute it to Sony etc ta make another package /or he coulkkd be awaitn for new version of EOT ta be released and release this footage a s build up on film to make EOT a deluxe edition - we need to await and see out come - lets all keep fingers crossed - ::rocks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:03 pm

I've seen this footage before, but this quality is absolutely stunning.
There must be a way to use this for a future release. It's the most sharp footage I' have ever seen!! (apart from EOT, TTWII, ALOHA)
Indeed fingers crossed..

Sun Dec 16, 2012 1:50 pm

I've never seen this before and i'm truly impressed.
Thanks for the shareRobert, i dearly hope this will find it's way to us..
Boy, even after all those years, there is still so MUCH great qualitystuff out there!!

Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:43 pm

How about this 8)
phpBB [video]

Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:51 pm

Christ, that footage is brilliant. Thanks for posting here!

Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:05 pm

The problem here is that this extra footage might have been all there was filmed. With the purchase Sony made they got 20 minutes of footage. Considering the set didn't sell that well (and was a first time experiment with regards to Elvis), once could hardly expect them to go around spending money here there and everywhere gathering together footage from various sources. Perhaps if sales were high, that approach could have been made in the future, but it seems unlikely. Somewhere along the line decisions have to be made that equate quality of product with price - both for them and for us.

Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:07 pm

poormadpeter wrote:The problem here is that this extra footage might have been all there was filmed. With the purchase Sony made they got 20 minutes of footage. Considering the set didn't sell that well (and was a first time experiment with regards to Elvis), once could hardly expect them to go around spending money here there and everywhere gathering together footage from various sources. Perhaps if sales were high, that approach could have been made in the future, but it seems unlikely. Somewhere along the line decisions have to be made that equate quality of product with price - both for them and for us.

The thing is Jat charges $45 for incomplete SILENT footage, I would surely have paid that for SOUND footage if they can get
into the habit of putting out dubbed footage like this.

Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:15 pm

ekenee wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:The problem here is that this extra footage might have been all there was filmed. With the purchase Sony made they got 20 minutes of footage. Considering the set didn't sell that well (and was a first time experiment with regards to Elvis), once could hardly expect them to go around spending money here there and everywhere gathering together footage from various sources. Perhaps if sales were high, that approach could have been made in the future, but it seems unlikely. Somewhere along the line decisions have to be made that equate quality of product with price - both for them and for us.

The thing is Jat charges $45 for incomplete SILENT footage, I would surely have paid that for SOUND footage if they can get
into the habit of putting out dubbed footage like this.

Yes, but JAT doesn't have to pay royalties for songs etc. They have little to no overheads. JAT also cater solely for hardcore fans, whereas Sony have to take into account that they are also aiming for mainstream sales as well. Bearing that in mind a £14 pricetag allowed them to please both parties. Most of us would have paid that for a double disc remastering of the concerts even without any form of DVD. However, the general public would not.

Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:27 pm

This is my personal opinion, not that it carries, or shall carry any weight.

The footage is incredibly sharp, indeed, the camera is a 16mm, yes indeed, the shots from the audience are great, yes, but the main subject of our interest, and attention, looks like an imitation of himself, the same Elvis who was imitated then, as it is the case now, and who is seen, by a great number of people in this world, as the one who at that precise moment was on his way down.

Hours earlier, mind you, during the afternoon show, the sight of Presley at the Garden, moving here, waving there, opening his cape, (all of it which he does again, in the evening show) gives the viewer the idea that one is experiencing the performance of a one in a million type of guy, certainly not one who is on his way down, but quite the opposite, on his way to even higher status, let alone an imitation of himself in 1971, in 1970, or in 1969. There's absolutely nothing in the clips shot during the afternoon show that resembles the idea one had of Presley in 1969, 70, or 71, even for those familiar with Elvis on Tour, the shots of which were taken two months earlier.

This is not an opinion I've arrived at merely because he is wearing a white jumpsuit, yes, the jumpsuit which causes millions to think of him as passe. It is his attitude, you can see it on his face, an attitude the didn't have in the afternoon show.

While in the afternoon show his gestures seemed even modest, the grandiose effect he manages to deliver during the evening show borders on the not so modest, which diminishes my admiration for him. In fact, what I've always loved the most about Elvis, is the way he could be seen as being really grandiose yet earnestly modest at the same time. In my humble view, he manages to deliver on that combination in the afternoon show only. I prefer his vocal performance in the afternoon, anyways, my only regret being he didn't sing "The Impossible dream", or "Bridge".

Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:52 pm

Jaime1234 wrote:This is my personal opinion, not that it carries, or shall carry any weight.

The footage is incredibly sharp, indeed, the camera is a 16mm, yes indeed, the shots from the audience are great, yes, but the main subject of our interest, and attention, looks like an imitation of himself, the same Elvis who was imitated then, as it is the case now, and who is seen, by a great number of people in this world, as the one who at that precise moment was on his way down.

Hours earlier, mind you, during the afternoon show, the sight of Presley at the Garden, moving here, waving there, opening his cape, (all of it which he does again, in the evening show) gives the viewer the idea that one is experiencing the performance of a one in a million type of guy, certainly not one who is on his way down, but quite the opposite, on his way to even higher status, let alone an imitation of himself in 1971, in 1970, or in 1969. There's absolutely nothing in the clips shot during the afternoon show that resembles the idea one had of Presley in 1969, 70, or 71, even for those familiar with Elvis on Tour, the shots of which were taken two months earlier.

This is not an opinion I've arrived at merely because he is wearing a white jumpsuit, yes, the jumpsuit which causes millions to think of him as passe. It is his attitude, you can see it on his face, an attitude the didn't have in the afternoon show.

While in the afternoon show his gestures seemed even modest, the grandiose effect he manages to deliver during the evening show borders on the not so modest, which diminishes my admiration for him. In fact, what I've always loved the most about Elvis, is the way he could be seen as being really grandiose yet earnestly modest at the same time. In my humble view, he manages to deliver on that combination in the afternoon show only. I prefer his vocal performance in the afternoon, anyways, my only regret being he didn't sing "The Impossible dream", or "Bridge".

You're way off course here.

The 16mm Jonas Mekas footage [above] is from opening night - June 9, 1972.

The PFAP afternoon footage was shot the following day.

Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:53 pm

poormadpeter wrote: Considering the set didn't sell that well

Interesting quote and probably not true.
Sony had low expectations in the first place.

That's the reason why the set is hardly distributed in store, with a few exceptions.
Unlike Viva Elvis, which was all over the place, promoted, and bombed.

Somebody over here mentioned a Sony connection and the set is mainly available on the internet.
5000 copies available in the UK, that's nothing.

If you sell 100% of those 5K copies, there's no chart visibility, yet there's a great sell through result.

Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:06 pm

This footage from Jonas Mekas is incredible. I wonder how much of the concert he caught on tape.

Sun Dec 16, 2012 9:43 pm

Renan wrote:This footage from Jonas Mekas is incredible. I wonder how much of the concert he caught on tape.

We may never know, unless contact is made with him soon.

Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:18 pm

Perhaps Mr. Mekas is waiting till his 100th birthday to release this well kept (almost pro quality) footage to the public.

Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:31 pm

Robert wrote:

That's the reason why the set is hardly distributed in store, with a few exceptions.

Somebody over here mentioned a Sony connection and the set is mainly available on the internet.

If you sell 100% of those 5K copies, there's no chart visibility, yet there's a great sell through result.

There seems to be some suggestion on these threads that Sony didn't want this set to sell. Of course they did. And if the set didn't get sold in stores in America, that is because the stores chose not to order any copies. Why would they do that? Because there are other artists to fit on their limited shelf-space who sell considerably better. There may have only been 5000 copies available in the UK - I don't know if that's true or not - but, either way, it's still sitting on the shelf in HMV. Fourteen copies of it between the two Norwich HMVs. It;s not like there aren't enough copies to go around.

There is almost manic desire on here to try and persuade all of us that Elvis would sell if only it was promoted in this way, or packaged in that way, or sold at this price. I think it's nonsense. You know what I think? I think Presley's popularity is at an all-time low, and most on here are unwilling to admit it. If Sony did only print 5000 copies for the UK then that is a sign of how badly Elvis product is selling. And again, it hasn't sold out.

I went into Poundland the other day. They were selling brand new copies of the latest edition of the films Frankie and Johnny, Kid Galahad, Clambake and Follow That Dream. Even at a pound they were hardly flying off the shelves, and two of those films are actually quite reasonable. It's not that people don't like Elvis, it is that he has almost completely fallen off the radar, and no-one cares about him at the moment. No doubt that will change at some point and interest will once again pick up. But at the moment, it just ain't there.

Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:40 pm

poormadpeter wrote:You know what I think? I think Presley's popularity is at an all-time low.

Blame it on the Mayans. They predicted this many eons ago. The world is truly ending.

Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:57 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
Robert wrote:

There seems to be some suggestion on these threads that Sony didn't want this set to sell. Of course they did. And if the set didn't get sold in stores in America, that is because the stores chose not to order any copies. Why would they do that? Because there are other artists to fit on their limited shelf-space who sell considerably better. There may have only been 5000 copies available in the UK - I don't know if that's true or not - but, either way, it's still sitting on the shelf in HMV. Fourteen copies of it between the two Norwich HMVs. It;s not like there aren't enough copies to go around.

There is almost manic desire on here to try and persuade all of us that Elvis would sell if only it was promoted in this way, or packaged in that way, or sold at this price. I think it's nonsense. You know what I think? I think Presley's popularity is at an all-time low, and most on here are unwilling to admit it. If Sony did only print 5000 copies for the UK then that is a sign of how badly Elvis product is selling. And again, it hasn't sold out.

I went into Poundland the other day. They were selling brand new copies of the latest edition of the films Frankie and Johnny, Kid Galahad, Clambake and Follow That Dream. Even at a pound they were hardly flying off the shelves, and two of those films are actually quite reasonable. It's not that people don't like Elvis, it is that he has almost completely fallen off the radar, and no-one cares about him at the moment. No doubt that will change at some point and interest will once again pick up. But at the moment, it just ain't there.

If no-one cares, it's still interesting to him in the top 10 of Billboard catalogue sales..
"Elvis is a steady mainstream seller" quoted here by someone in contact with a Sony employee..
Regarding PFAP, I would be very interested to see global production numbers vs actual store (& on line) sales.
You'll probably be surprised on the limited quantities produced. Hardly anyone found a copy at US retail for example.

I guess future Elvis releases answer that question.
If we continue to see new mainstream releases, it's a proof profit is being made, simple as that..
If no-one is interested as mentioned, 2013 will be a poor year and we are left with the great FTD label only.

Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:35 am

It's almost impossible for Legacy editions not to make a profit. Sony owns the material outright and it was remastered 5 years ago - its a case of compiling it on a disc and printing it. Hardly an expensive thing to do. As has been stated in other threads, no doubt the catalogue sales are boosted highly because of the eternally selling christmas album and the reduced priced Afternoon at the Garden in America. Take those away, and I'm sure he would be well down the list.

Mon Dec 17, 2012 8:39 am

Robert wrote:If no-one is interested as mentioned, 2013 will be a poor year and we are left with the great FTD label only.

I'm quite impressed with your outlook and enthusiasm. Very inspirational indeed.

Mon Dec 17, 2012 10:15 am

TCB-FAN wrote:
Robert wrote:If no-one is interested as mentioned, 2013 will be a poor year and we are left with the great FTD label only.

I'm quite impressed with your outlook and enthusiasm. Very inspirational indeed.

:smt003 :smt003 :smt003

Mon Dec 17, 2012 7:52 pm

poormadpeter wrote:...It's not that people don't like Elvis, it is that he has almost completely fallen off the radar, and no-one cares about him at the moment.
No doubt that will change at some point and interest will once again pick up.
But at the moment, it just ain't there.

One thing that makes a song a hit, these days, is being featured in a popular film or advert.

If only that happened to our boy, things could be very different.....................