Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Question regarding legality of CDs

Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:38 am

Bill Tanner wrote:
elvisjock wrote:Commercial photography of Elvis's shows was also prohibited. So, if I took a photo of Elvis, stamped it with my copyright, and sold copies, do I have the right to defend my right? I don't think so.

I don't understand what you're saying here. Are you saying you have no right to sell your photos? I'd say you have every right, and good luck.

I can not speak as to Great Britain, but in the United States you would not be allowed to take pictures at a concert and sell copies of the picture. The photographer owns the copyright to the photo, but EPE owns the rights to Elvis Presley and could bring legal action if the photo was sold. (but EPE could not sell the photo without the consent of the copyright holder).

Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:43 am

robg wrote:And there are a couple interesting talking only tapes out there well worth releasing just awaiting to come out the “Wood” work if you know what I mean.

From what period?

Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:02 am

My understanding has always been that RCA/ BMG/ Sony etc..whoever holds his recording contract has all rights to his singing voice.
EPE/CKX or whatever the entity that is in partnership with EPE is owns the rights to his image and name.
Elvis spoken word (not counting film dialogue I would believe) is an uncontrolled item.

Also, it was clearly stated at Elvis' concerts that recording & filming were prohibited, but you could take as many still pictures as you like. I don't think they expected as many high quality photos as were ultimately taken. I believe they thought everyone used amateur type cameras- at least at first they thought that.

Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:09 am

Lawyers must have a perverted thrill in fighting in court for their greedy client. What a pretty world!

Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:33 am

Hello,

I don't know if this answers your question or not. In 1972, Buddha Records was about to put out some of the audio from Elvis' Madison Square Garden Press Conference on a release titled "Current Audio." RCA filed an injunction against Buddha. Ultimately, Buddha won.

Here's a link. The article in question is on page 3, titled "Record / Print Magazine Wins OK On Presley In Countersuit."

http://books.google.com/books?id=eygEAA ... &q&f=false

Daryl

Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:40 am

If using someone's picture that you took whether at a concert hotel lobby whatever were legal, then anyone with an image of a celeberty could stick an image in any advertisement and not have to pay a cent in royalty to said person. Just try sticking an image of Elvis, or even use his name in a advert, without permission and see how quickly your ass ends up in court.