Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Aloha to get 'prince from another planet' style makeover

Sat Dec 15, 2012 4:08 am

Maybe they found a soundboard to one of the November shows in Honolulu.

Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:46 am

Hello,

Yes, but I'm not exactly at liberty to disclose what they are. I can say that one of the songs was popularized by a fellow RCA recording artist and the other song was popularized by someone who had written several songs that Elvis recorded. I've come across the same document in question from two different varying sources. Some documentation also exists that indicates that Elvis may have also rehearsed "My Boy" and "The Twelfth Of Never" as well as early as January, 1973.

Daryl

Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:15 am

Really interesting. You have me most curious.
Thank you for your responses to my question, Daryl. I appreciate it. :)

rlj

Sat Dec 15, 2012 2:50 pm

The rehearsal show is higly wanted in a new mix, the main event has always sounded pretty good to me.

And it's not because ElvisMatters MAY think it COULD be, that's it's gonna be released.
I think it's a case of wisfull thinking.

Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:32 pm

take a look here http://elvismomentsintime.freeforums.or ... t2127.html

Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:59 pm

If they do rerelease the Aloha dvd..Maybe they could put whatever 1957 Hawaii footage that is going to be at the new upcoming exhibit on it..

Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:13 pm

robbie wrote:take a look here http://elvismomentsintime.freeforums.or ... t2127.html

Did I read that right? A new high-definition version of ALOHA!!

Sounds great hope it's confirmed soon...

Sat Dec 15, 2012 7:24 pm

TJ wrote:
RonBaker2003 wrote:Why would they bother when the PFAP and MSG Legacy sets bombed commercially? Besides, when I want to 'relive' Aloha, I watch the dvds.

PFAP was produced in small numbers and those numbers will probably sell out or come close to it. If Sony's expectations had been greater, presumably they would have produced more.

Well said. With the retail market radically reduced, these companies know how to make 'em in small batches.

That this set "bombed commerically" is news to me. Where's the evidence of this? I'll be they turned a nice penny on re-issuing 40 year old recordings
with all the trimmings....

Likewise, I like the ALOHA idea and any number of ways of upgrading the set (as others have suggested) would surely be a winner.

Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:41 pm

Gregory Nolan Jr. wrote:
TJ wrote:
RonBaker2003 wrote:Why would they bother when the PFAP and MSG Legacy sets bombed commercially? Besides, when I want to 'relive' Aloha, I watch the dvds.

PFAP was produced in small numbers and those numbers will probably sell out or come close to it. If Sony's expectations had been greater, presumably they would have produced more.

Well said. With the retail market radically reduced, these companies know how to make 'em in small batches.

That this set "bombed commerically" is news to me. Where's the evidence of this? I'll be they turned a nice penny on re-issuing 40 year old recordings
with all the trimmings....

Likewise, I like the ALOHA idea and any number of ways of upgrading the set (as others have suggested) would surely be a winner.

Yes - Just watched selected tracks from the rehearsal- and some from the main broadcast from the DELUXE Edition DVD set –– it's a fantastic DVD and if they can improve on this with high-def and unreleased elements also then it's a no-brainer purchase...

Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:06 pm

People seem to forget that the Aloha special was going out LIVE around the world and no entertainer had ever experienced that. Neither have any of us. So to criticize his performance or style of singing is totally unfair. If you were put on a stage at that particular moment you would have froze up like a stiff board. I think he did phenomenal for the circumstances he was under at that time. Don't forget that he had just filed for divorce just a week earlier. That had to be weighing heavily on him on top of the world satellite event.

As for the press conference in Las Vegas. Elvis wasn't "stoned". He was tired and drained because he had JUST FINISHED A LIVE PERFORMANCE ON STAGE!! He never even showered before doing the conference.

Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:08 pm

The deluxe DVD set is good enough for me.Looks great,sounds great.I would like an FTD 7" classic album version of the audio from both shows plus the additional songs with the alt takes.

norrie

Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:12 pm

SuspiciousMind wrote:People seem to forget that the Aloha special was going out LIVE around the world and no entertainer had ever experienced that. Neither have any of us. So to criticize his performance or style of singing is totally unfair. If you were put on a stage at that particular moment you would have froze up like a stiff board. I think he did phenomenal for the circumstances he was under at that time. Don't forget that he had just filed for divorce just a week earlier. That had to be weighing heavily on him on top of the world satellite event.

As for the press conference in Las Vegas. Elvis wasn't "stoned". He was tired and drained because he had JUST FINISHED A LIVE PERFORMANCE ON STAGE!! He never even showered before doing the conference.

Well said SuspiciousMind -
I agree with ya buddy - Keep Rockn - ::rocks :smt006
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:53 pm

elvisalisellers wrote:
Matthew wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:
Matthew wrote:
KingElvis wrote:
r&b wrote:Not interested personally and I think it would be a bomb commercially.

Same here......Aloha contains some really bad/poor tracks IMO.......like "Suspicious Minds" and "My Way".

Better than Rapid City, that's for sure.

altough my way is alot better in rapid city then in aloha..

Nah, Elvis' vocal performance is much better in Honolulu.

Aloha probably has the better arrangement, but his vocal - ironically - sounds more rounded and assured on the EIC version.
Plus his voice doesn't crack on the last note as per Aloha either. :smt002

I'm not sure that EIc had a more rounded and assured vocal. The sound is fuller, but we should also remember that when someone is having issues with tonality and tuning (as Elvis was in these shows) then that can be covered up by singing louder - someone singing quieter is more likely to go off key, because there is a tendancy to sing flat. As for a cracked not - many of the best vocal performances aren't about perfection. I'd rather have a cracked not in Aloha (one of the few worthy performances from that show), than an out of breath, maudlin performance from EIC.

Sun Dec 16, 2012 12:52 am

Moonchild wrote:If they do rerelease the Aloha dvd..Maybe they could put whatever 1957 Hawaii footage that is going to be at the new upcoming exhibit on it..

That might be one of the only ways I would purchase Aloha, AGAIN. Perhaps a re-worked CD of the 1961 Pearl Harbor concert along with some "gems" from 1957, or even some unreleased Aloha rehearsals (not the rehearsal concert) would add flavor to the two '73 shows. Even soundboards of any or all of the 1972 Hawaii shows would be welcomed. Don't know if they would release all of that in a package, but it would be quite a box set.

rlj