Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: the song that symbolizes TTWII ?

Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:55 am

I Just Can't Help Believin' - but of course they left this out of the Special Edition, appearing only on the menu screen of the original DVD, and despite the rehearsal and pre-show dialogue about this track.

Re: the song that symbolizes TTWII ?

Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:14 am

Matthew wrote:I Just Can't Help Believin' - but of course they left this out of the Special Edition, appearing only on the menu screen of the original DVD, and despite the rehearsal and pre-show dialogue about this track.

There's no rehearsal of I Just Can't Help Believin' in the Special Edition.

Re: the song that symbolizes TTWII ?

Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:52 am

Definitely suspicious minds and Polk salad Annie. I messed up my VHS tape I played it so much!! Lol

Re: the song that symbolizes TTWII ?

Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:18 am

I Just Can't Help Believin', cause that's the most popular song from the soundtrack being played on radio stations here when that film was released.

Re: the song that symbolizes TTWII ?

Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:56 am

Polk Salad Annie

Re: the song that symbolizes TTWII ?

Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:02 am

For me it has to be "I Just Can't Help Believin"" with "Bridge Over Troubled Water" and "Suspicious Minds" a very close second.

rlj

Re: the song that symbolizes TTWII ?

Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:03 am

elvisalisellers wrote:
Matthew wrote:I Just Can't Help Believin' - but of course they left this out of the Special Edition, appearing only on the menu screen of the original DVD, and despite the rehearsal and pre-show dialogue about this track.

There's no rehearsal of I Just Can't Help Believin' in the Special Edition.

Is there not? It's been a while!

Re: the song that symbolizes TTWII ?

Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:22 am

"I just can't help believing" for me..in fact I was dissapointed it wasn't on TWII-SE. second would be "Patch it up"

Re: the song that symbolizes TTWII ?

Thu Dec 13, 2012 5:40 am

Matthew wrote:
elvisalisellers wrote:
Matthew wrote:I Just Can't Help Believin' - but of course they left this out of the Special Edition, appearing only on the menu screen of the original DVD, and despite the rehearsal and pre-show dialogue about this track.

There's no rehearsal of I Just Can't Help Believin' in the Special Edition.

Is there not? It's been a while!

IIRC, you see Elvis nervously going over the first verse to himself backstage, before he dresses for the August 10 OS.

Re: the song that symbolizes TTWII ?

Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:59 am

Wasn't that on the original version only?

Re: the song that symbolizes TTWII ?

Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:17 am

The thread highlights that there is a better movie still waiting to be made, as neither the original nor the special edition got it entirely right. The original had too much chat from fans, some of which was a a little embarrassing, and the special edition missed out some essential performances, including perhaps his best ever rendition of Bridge. Every time I see the ending of Suspicious Minds in the original I'm also bemused that anyone could substitute that version for another.

Re: the song that symbolizes TTWII ?

Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:24 am

Rob wrote:Wasn't that on the original version only?

Maybe!

Re: the song that symbolizes TTWII ?

Thu Dec 13, 2012 10:25 am

For me, I Just Can't Help Believin'.

1971 was a fantastic time to be an Elvis fan, bearing in mind we were always 6-to-12 months behind the real happenings. I must have seen ETTWII about 30 times in the cinema, including its premiere at the Royal Festival Hall by the Thames, in London ; and at large cinemas in Birmingham and Manchester.

To hear spontaneous cinema applause from a public, many of whom still thought that Elvis was a 50s/60s has-been, was quite something.

The original cinema version still rules, for me, despite some flaws. Those were magical times.

Steve Morse

Re: the song that symbolizes TTWII ?

Thu Dec 13, 2012 12:54 pm

IMO I Just Can't Help Believin' is one of those songs you can only listen to a certain number of times before becoming tired of it. Much like Sweet Caroline. I enjoyed both of them at first but over time I find myself skipping them more often than not in favor of the many others when I watch TTWII. It's nothing against the songs - my preferences have simply changed.

For me, the song that exemplifies TTWII is Bridge Over Troubled Water.

Other songs that supplement that category well:

Polk Salad Annie
Patch It Up
Just Pretend
You've Lost That Lovin' Feeling
The Wonder of You

Thu Dec 13, 2012 7:28 pm

"I Just Can't Help Believin'."

Re: the song that symbolizes TTWII ?

Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:04 pm

I just can't help believin'.. closely followed by Polk sallad Annie