Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Best and worst soundtrack albums

Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:12 am

A. C. van Kuijk wrote:Best soundtrack album: King Creole
Worst soundtrack album: Girl Happy

These are my choices too! I don't know if Girl Happy is really the worst one of them all, but that is one Elvis record that I never listen to.

Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:31 am

I couldn't tell you the last time I've listened to a '50's soundtrack. Yes it's been that long. They just don't turn my crank.

My faves:
Blue Hawaii
Fun In Acapulco
Girl Happy

The Worst:
PHS

Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:47 am

JerryNodak wrote:I couldn't tell you the last time I've listened to a '50's soundtrack. Yes it's been that long. They just don't turn my crank.

My faves:
Blue Hawaii
Fun In Acapulco
Girl Happy

The Worst:
PHS

I'm surprised to see that Girl Happy can truly be a favourite, but happy to see that someone really likes Blue Hawaii. Sometimes I feel it is a bit underrated around here.

Thu Dec 13, 2012 2:57 am

Albert Goldman wrote:
JerryNodak wrote:I couldn't tell you the last time I've listened to a '50's soundtrack. Yes it's been that long. They just don't turn my crank.

My faves:
Blue Hawaii
Fun In Acapulco
Girl Happy

The Worst:
PHS

I'm surprised to see that Girl Happy can truly be a favourite, but happy to see that someone really likes Blue Hawaii. Sometimes I feel it is a bit underrated around here.

It's hard to think of an album where Elvis sounded more beautiful than on Blue Hawaii (His Hand In Mine perhaps?). While many bemoan the quality of the material, it's worth remembering that one was a huge hit, two are standards and two more use traditional tunes that have been around for decades (and probably longer). Yes, I can live without Ito Eats and Moonlight Swim but a film soundtrack of this kind is always going to have plot songs of a nondescript nature, and I certainly find them inoffensive.

Thu Dec 13, 2012 3:36 am

poormadpeter wrote:
Albert Goldman wrote:

My faves:
Blue Hawaii
Fun In Acapulco
Girl Happy

The Worst:
PHS

It's hard to think of an album where Elvis sounded more beautiful than on Blue Hawaii (His Hand In Mine perhaps?). While many bemoan the quality of the material, it's worth remembering that one was a huge hit, two are standards and two more use traditional tunes that have been around for decades (and probably longer). Yes, I can live without Ito Eats and Moonlight Swim but a film soundtrack of this kind is always going to have plot songs of a nondescript nature, and I certainly find them inoffensive.

Indeed, Elvis' voice is pure honey on both albums. I also enjoy the movie Blue Hawaii. Elvis is still full of life and energy. Only a few years later his appearence reminds me of zombies.

Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:55 am

As I said before it's a legitimately good album. "Can't Help Falling in Love" is one of Elvis' best all time singles. "Hawaiian Wedding Song" is absolutely gorgeous. "Blue Hawaii" might be even better than Crosby's original. Given Elvis' fondness for all three of his tunes they might have made even studio LPs. "Aloha Oe" is kind of beautifully done too. I think "Hawaiian Sunset" is one of Elvis' most underrated songs. If it had been recorded two decades earlier by Crosby or Sinatra etc. it might have been a standard. Some of the LP is repetitive and some of the material is silly. I think, though, that the main reason the LP sometimes gets short shrift is because all the really good stuff is not rock n' roll. The rock n' roll tracks are some of the weakest on the album with "Rock-a Hula- Baby" being the best and that's not exactly filled with burn the walls down '50s rocking spirit. I would point out in its favor though, if you watch the movie and look at the context and Elvis' face during the performance you get this is a little bit of satire. Overall, there are a lot worst listens out there than Blue Hawaii.

Albert does your antipathy towards GH come from the speeded up vocals on some songs which kind of robs one of appreciating Elvis' voice? I know "Do the Clam" was about the worst thing Elvis recorded to that point. The rest of the material seems just kind of journeyman to me, although "Wolf Call" is too close to TV rock n' roll.

Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:28 am

Best soundtrack: Jailhouse Rock (RCA EPA 4114, October 1957)
Worst soundtrack: Easy Come, Easy Go (RCA EPA 4387, March 1967)

What a difference ten years makes.

Thu Dec 13, 2012 8:34 am

I'm surprised since there's such a 70s bent on this forum that we haven't seen "That's The Way It Is" topping some lists.

Thu Dec 13, 2012 9:45 am

To me "That's The Way It Is" is no real soundtrack.

Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:06 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:Best soundtrack: Jailhouse Rock (RCA EPA 4114, October 1957)
Worst soundtrack: Easy Come, Easy Go (RCA EPA 4387, March 1967)

What a difference ten years makes.

Indeed, and just look what happenned in another 10 years :cry:

With regard to previous posts regarding Girl Happy. I don't consider the songs to be the worst soundtrack, by a long way, but the recording standards are. This is the one album I cannot enjoy through headphones as it all sounds just so amaturist. Does anyone have any ideas why this is so?

Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:12 pm

A. C. van Kuijk wrote:To me "That's The Way It Is" is no real soundtrack.

It was released as a soundtrack album.
Image from elvisrecords.us.

Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:24 pm

likethebike wrote:
Albert does your antipathy towards GH come from the speeded up vocals on some songs which kind of robs one of appreciating Elvis' voice? I know "Do the Clam" was about the worst thing Elvis recorded to that point. The rest of the material seems just kind of journeyman to me, although "Wolf Call" is too close to TV rock n' roll.

Yes, the speeded up vocals certainly spoil the mood. The sound of the original sountrack is terrible! Of course, Girl Happy is not the only Elvis soundtrack that sounds poorly recorded. In addition, the cover of the record is simply dreadful. Even the bonus song is weak.

For me Do the Clam is not the worst song of the soundtrack - I think that it is one of the best. I know it sounds perverse, but the band really tries to make it work: the Jordanaires and Boots Randolph lift up the mood for few minutes. Plus, my girlfriend always starts to dance and shake when she hears that tune... it is the magic of the King....

I guess the real problem with Girl Happy is that I don't find any of the songs interesting. It is boring to listen to Elvis who is obviously bored too. And I know that these things could be said about other soundtracks, but Girl Happy just isn't my cup of whiskey. I rather listen to Easy Come, Easy Go.

Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:39 pm

The problem I have with Girl Happy both as a film and as a soundtrack is that it leaves me with no feeling whatsoever. How can you dislike a film that is so horribly and utterly bland? At least Harum Scarum, Double Trouble and Easy Come Easy Go (both films and soundtracks) have moments of such hideousness that they are ultimately memorable. And Harum Scarum and Double Trouble do at least have one song each which is worth the while of putting the CD on (So Near Yet So Far and City By Night). The only ones that raise a remote amount of interest in me from Girl Happy is Cross My Heart and Fort Lauderdale - and I'm not even sure why that is, although the latter is beautifully sung.

Girl Happy, I guess, is just there. It's not good enough to like, it's not distasteful, and it doesnt even fall into the so-bad-it's-good category. It is the worst thing that a film or record could possibly be: instantly forgettable.

Thu Dec 13, 2012 11:52 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
Girl Happy, I guess, is just there. It's not good enough to like, it's not distasteful, and it doesnt even fall into the so-bad-it's-good category. It is the worst thing that a film or record could possibly be: instantly forgettable.

That is the right way to put it.

Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:50 am

I disagree on the film. Girl Happy has pep, great set design and some wit in the dialog. Plus a more engaged Elvis than we would get in most of his mid-60s films. He has a great rapport with Fabares which would wane over the course of three films. On the soundtrack, I find "Puppet on a String" pleasant enough with some nice work on the bridge by Elvis. "Fort Lauderdale Chamber of Commerce" is one of my guilty pleasures. I definitely understand Peter's feelings on songs like "Startin' Tonight" or "Gotta Find My Baby" they are just there.

Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:12 am

GIRL HAPPY was immensely popular when first released for Easter in 1965. Throughout the summer, trade ads stated that it had over 7,000 play-dates.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Dec 14, 2012 1:57 am

likethebike wrote:I disagree on the film. Girl Happy has pep, great set design and some wit in the dialog. Plus a more engaged Elvis than we would get in most of his mid-60s films. He has a great rapport with Fabares which would wane over the course of three films. On the soundtrack, I find "Puppet on a String" pleasant enough with some nice work on the bridge by Elvis. "Fort Lauderdale Chamber of Commerce" is one of my guilty pleasures. I definitely understand Peter's feelings on songs like "Startin' Tonight" or "Gotta Find My Baby" they are just there.

The film is certainly better than the soundtrack! Not the worst effort in any way - Elvis has not turned into a zombie yet. My guilty pleasure is Do Not Disturb. Startin' Tonight is one of the least favourites.

Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:12 am

For me, Doc has the best and worst nailed: Best: Jailhouse Rock....absolute worst: Easy Come Easy Go.

Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:31 am

I have to disagree. Easy Come Easy Go is miles better than Girl Happy for the simple reason it is considerably shorter.

Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:50 am

Albert Goldman wrote:
likethebike wrote:Albert does your antipathy towards GH come from the speeded up vocals on some songs which kind of robs one of appreciating Elvis' voice? I know "Do the Clam" was about the worst thing Elvis recorded to that point. The rest of the material seems just kind of journeyman to me, although "Wolf Call" is too close to TV rock n' roll.

Yes, the speeded up vocals certainly spoil the mood.

"Wolf Call" is not "speeded up." Nor are any of the other tunes, save the title track, which was tampered with before release.

Girl Happy (composite)
June 11 (Thu.): 00:40 - 03:00
Spliced (M) - 2:19 - Splice of insert 2, 2003-13, insert 1 & ending notes
Sped up M - 2:09 - Spliced master speeded up ~7.8%

Sessions: June 10-12, 1964
http://www.elvisrecordings.com/s640610.htm

Fri Dec 14, 2012 3:54 am

RonBaker2003 wrote:For me, Doc has the best and worst nailed: Best: Jailhouse Rock....absolute worst: Easy Come Easy Go.

Thanks!

Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:13 am

I got to say Easy come, Easy go is the worst because the soundtrack doesn't have one gem among the clunkers.

At least with Girl Happy, Paradise Hawaiian stlye, Speedway and Frankie & Johnny there was one good song among the terrible ones.

King Creole was the best.

Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:15 am

likethebike wrote:As I said before it's a legitimately good album. "Can't Help Falling in Love" is one of Elvis' best all time singles. "Hawaiian Wedding Song" is absolutely gorgeous. "Blue Hawaii" might be even better than Crosby's original. Given Elvis' fondness for all three of his tunes they might have made even studio LPs. "Aloha Oe" is kind of beautifully done too. I think "Hawaiian Sunset" is one of Elvis' most underrated songs. If it had been recorded two decades earlier by Crosby or Sinatra etc. it might have been a standard. Some of the LP is repetitive and some of the material is silly. I think, though, that the main reason the LP sometimes gets short shrift is because all the really good stuff is not rock n' roll. The rock n' roll tracks are some of the weakest on the album with "Rock-a Hula- Baby" being the best and that's not exactly filled with burn the walls down '50s rocking spirit. I would point out in its favor though, if you watch the movie and look at the context and Elvis' face during the performance you get this is a little bit of satire. Overall, there are a lot worst listens out there than Blue Hawaii.

Agreed.

If they had replaced ''Rock-a Hula- Baby'' and ''Ito eats'' with better songs it would've been a great album in my opinion.

Fri Dec 14, 2012 11:29 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Albert Goldman wrote:
likethebike wrote:Albert does your antipathy towards GH come from the speeded up vocals on some songs which kind of robs one of appreciating Elvis' voice? I know "Do the Clam" was about the worst thing Elvis recorded to that point. The rest of the material seems just kind of journeyman to me, although "Wolf Call" is too close to TV rock n' roll.

Yes, the speeded up vocals certainly spoil the mood.

"Wolf Call" is not "speeded up." Nor are any of the other tunes, save the title track, which was tampered with before release.

Girl Happy (composite)
June 11 (Thu.): 00:40 - 03:00
Spliced (M) - 2:19 - Splice of insert 2, 2003-13, insert 1 & ending notes
Sped up M - 2:09 - Spliced master speeded up ~7.8%

Sessions: June 10-12, 1964
http://www.elvisrecordings.com/s640610.htm

I have never claimed that Wolf Call was speeded up. Thank you for your contribution.

Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:14 pm

I guess I would say that Jailhouse Rock is the best.

If I liked Dixieland Music I might have to go with
King Creole.

As for FTD versions, I really like Wild In The Country.

Worst would probably be Harum Scarum. To this day,
I still don't think I've made it all the way through the
movie itself.