Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Best and worst soundtrack albums

Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:30 am

I think the last decent soundtrack ALBUM (I'm not counting VLV since that was only an EP here in the States) was It Happened at the World's Fair. It's very short, and there's definately some fluff, but Elvis is in fine voice, and the sound of the recordings is still of a high standard, something which soon change. Things like Girl Happy and Harum Scarum had that horrible muffled sound, with Elvis' voice way out in front of the band. The material had gotten so weak that Elvis couldn't even fake enthusiasm for most of it.

Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:27 pm

Movie soundtracks of the 50s and 60s could hardly have each been expected to be a collection of potentially hit singles.

King Creole is superb and matches the mood of the film. Blue Hawaii is probably the most beautifully recorded of all and oozes high quality on all counts. There are a few fun songs in there but Elvis was in top form so anything sounded good.

World's Fair is not only ridiculously short ; it has the blandest collection of songs possible and the sound quality is abysmal. Clambake, excluding the bonus songs, is horrific saved only by perhaps a couple of nice ballads. Easy Come, Easy Go sounds like it was recorded in a huge dustbin - the songs, perhaps, deserved no better treatment.

I have never felt that the Viva Las Vegas songs gelled as an album and the film itself tends to be over-praised in my book. The Harem Holiday (Harum Scarum) soundtrack is a great favourite of mine. It has a theme of Eastern music and Elvis sings as well as he ever did, in terms of straight singing. However, So Close Yet So Far would not have made a good single as it was 10 years out of date in terms of the pop charts.

Steve Morse

Sat Dec 15, 2012 10:53 pm

I think World's Fair has a number of things going for it. To call it the "blandest collection of songs possible" and then praise Harum Scarum seems rather bizarre. It may not be the greatest group of songs in the world, but it benefits greatly from two Don Robertson ballads, with They Remind Me Too Much Of You one of Presley's greatest recordings in that style. World of Our Own isn't so good, but still passes muster. Of the kids songs, How Would You Like To Be goes on far too long, but Cotton Candy Land benefits from a beautiful performance and a surprisingly menacing atmosphere for a lullaby. Relax is, of course, just a pastiche of Fever and the rest of the album may ooze blandness and forgetability (I know that's not a word!), but as a soundtrack it has more than its fair share of good moments, and one exceptional ballad.

Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:37 am

Hi there!! :D :D :D.

My all time favourite movie soundtracks are:

King Creole, G.I.Blues, Fun In Acapulco 8), Viva Las Vegas and I have a special spot for Girl Happy, for which recently was released a very nice booklet about the movie with a lot of facts around the filming.

Worst movie soundtracks are:

Paradise Hawaiian Style, Harum Scarum and Easy Come, Easy Go :cry:. Bye for now :smt006.

Sun Dec 16, 2012 7:09 am

poormadpeter wrote:I think World's Fair has a number of things going for it. To call it the "blandest collection of songs possible" and then praise Harum Scarum seems rather bizarre. It may not be the greatest group of songs in the world, but it benefits greatly from two Don Robertson ballads, with They Remind Me Too Much Of You one of Presley's greatest recordings in that style. World of Our Own isn't so good, but still passes muster. Of the kids songs, How Would You Like To Be goes on far too long, but Cotton Candy Land benefits from a beautiful performance and a surprisingly menacing atmosphere for a lullaby. Relax is, of course, just a pastiche of Fever and the rest of the album may ooze blandness and forgetability (I know that's not a word!), but as a soundtrack it has more than its fair share of good moments, and one exceptional ballad.

I agree with that. At least Elvis sounds truly engaged with most of the material here; I do here that on Harum Scarum. The budgets seemed to go down for the movies after World's Fair and Acapulco; along with that, the soundtracks seemed to be tossed off as well.

Sun Dec 16, 2012 8:43 pm

sundial77 wrote:As a child my favourite movie and soundtrack was "Roustabout", for some reason I loved every song,more so than some of the better quality soundtracks. Perhaps because of the carnival setting. To me every song was colourful,full of fun and life,and I gotta be honest...it's still a guilty pleasure of mine to this day. But as for EP's best movie soundtracks,I'd have to go along with King Creole, GI Blues,Blue Hawaii and VIva Las Vegas. As for the worst,I would say Clambake simply because of the abomination that is "Confidence".... :o

Man,I could've wrote that post myself! I really liked Roustabout,but I thought Elvis' voice sounded a little funny,kinda like on Girl happy. As for GH,I really like this one.too,but again,ugh,the speeded up Elvis voice is bad.

Sun Dec 16, 2012 10:26 pm

Lonely Summer wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:I think World's Fair has a number of things going for it. To call it the "blandest collection of songs possible" and then praise Harum Scarum seems rather bizarre. It may not be the greatest group of songs in the world, but it benefits greatly from two Don Robertson ballads, with They Remind Me Too Much Of You one of Presley's greatest recordings in that style. World of Our Own isn't so good, but still passes muster. Of the kids songs, How Would You Like To Be goes on far too long, but Cotton Candy Land benefits from a beautiful performance and a surprisingly menacing atmosphere for a lullaby. Relax is, of course, just a pastiche of Fever and the rest of the album may ooze blandness and forgetability (I know that's not a word!), but as a soundtrack it has more than its fair share of good moments, and one exceptional ballad.

I agree with that. At least Elvis sounds truly engaged with most of the material here; I do here that on Harum Scarum. The budgets seemed to go down for the movies after World's Fair and Acapulco; along with that, the soundtracks seemed to be tossed off as well.

Frankly, none of these soundtracks is worth the spit in a bucket. So what if Elvis was "engaged" during the ten selections on the It Happened At The World's Fair soundtrack? How low may a bar be set when our hero receives praise for "one exceptional ballad"? Not one song adds a thing to his legacy. The 1963 LP barely ran TEN minutes a side, what a complete rip-off to every good fan. Side 1 was over before you finished a bathroom break.

The slide was on.

Sun Dec 16, 2012 11:29 pm

King Creole, G.I. Blues, Blue Hawaii and from the later years, Spinout. The worst one to my ears was Paradise Hawaian Style.

Mon Dec 17, 2012 12:54 am

"King Creole" the film and soundtrack is probably the best achievement of his career in my eyes. It's certainly my favourite, and if there's one moment in time I like to remember him by, it's this.

He'd slowly been gaining experience and confidence in both his acting skills, his live performing and his singing in general throughout the 1950s. It's fair to say he reached his peak just before he went into the army. He was by far and away the leading music star in the world, with nobody even close in contention.

It's just a glorious moment in time I like to remember, the last time we'd see Elvis still raw, innocent and leading the way in popular culture.

And if I had to pick one song as the standout, it's "Trouble". It's no surprise this was the number that was chosen as the blistering intro to his '68 comerback special.

THAT is how I want to remember Elvis Presley.

"If you're lookin' for trouble..."

Mon Dec 17, 2012 4:29 am

KC was one of only two films when Elvis could be said to have a top-notch director. (yes, Richard Thorpe certainly had credentials stretching back to the 1920s, but it's almost a surprise that he handled Jailhouse Rock as well as he did, considering neither the style of film or actor was his forte. Despite being at the helm of some fine musicals such as The Student Prince and Three Little Words, there was a big difference between operetta and rock n roll. )

Michael Curtiz, on the other hand, is one of those directors with a magnificent career in every genre imaginable but somehow has always just missed out on being hailed alongside some of his contemporaries. I think his work really is up there with them,though, but because he never ticked the "auteur" box, he seems to go unnoticed - despite some really wonderful silent epics during the 1920s (including the infamous Noah's Ark), some fine historical dramas such as The Charge of the Light Brigade and The Private Lives of Elizabeth and Essex, the wonderfully dark horror films The Walking Dead and The Mystery of the Wax Museum, musicals including Yankee Doodle Dandy, and of course Casablanca. What this experience and command of such a wide range of material meant was that when he was handed a script that was a mix of gangster film, teen drama and musical he could approach it without fear and produced some fine work in the film (although purists are likely to scoff that anyone's best work is in an Elvis musical).

Mon Dec 17, 2012 1:47 pm

In order all 33 not going by LP, EP, 45, or even session, but what is in movie.
Jailhouse Rock
That's The Way It Is
Loving You
King Creole
Elvis On Tour
Viva Las Vegas
Kid Galahad
Tickle Me
G.I. Blues
Wild In The Country
Blue Hawaii
Trouble With Girls