Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Future tours after august 1977

Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:13 pm

Sorry if this subject was discussed before: after the august 1977 tour (canceled because of Elvis's death) the Colonel made plans for others in autumn and winter?. Some speculated he booked Elvis in September 1977 on other tour, Jerry Hopkins wrote that Elvis would perform in a new Hilton Pavilion in a December 1977 engagement (in a 7200 seated room!) and I read in an old article that was possible for New Year's Eve 77/78 for Elvis to sing in New Orleans at the Superdome in front of 75.000 people!

Re: Future tours after august 1977

Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:41 pm

jurasic1968 wrote:Sorry if this subject was discussed before: after the august 1977 tour (canceled because of Elvis's death) the Colonel made plans for others in autumn and winter?. Some speculated he booked Elvis in September 1977 on other tour, Jerry Hopkins wrote that Elvis would perform in a new Hilton Pavilion in a December 1977 engagement (in a 7200 seated room!) and I read in an old article that was possible for New Year's Eve 77/78 for Elvis to sing in New Orleans at the Superdome in front of 75.000 people!


Probaby i will mot make myself very popular, but it is my belief that it is for the best that Elvis was not subjected to those shows. He was in very poor shape, phisically, mentally and vocally. I am not sure Elvis could have pulled off these concerts without major damage being done to his street cred. I am not talking image even.

I so wish for Elvis to have had a different 1977, on a number of levels.

To me, he still reigns.

Re: Future tours after august 1977

Fri Dec 07, 2012 4:07 pm

epf wrote:
jurasic1968 wrote:Sorry if this subject was discussed before: after the august 1977 tour (canceled because of Elvis's death) the Colonel made plans for others in autumn and winter?. Some speculated he booked Elvis in September 1977 on other tour, Jerry Hopkins wrote that Elvis would perform in a new Hilton Pavilion in a December 1977 engagement (in a 7200 seated room!) and I read in an old article that was possible for New Year's Eve 77/78 for Elvis to sing in New Orleans at the Superdome in front of 75.000 people!


Probaby i will mot make myself very popular, but it is my belief that it is for the best that Elvis was not subjected to those shows. He was in very poor shape, phisically, mentally and vocally. I am not sure Elvis could have pulled off these concerts without major damage being done to his street cred. I am not talking image even.

I so wish for Elvis to have had a different 1977, on a number of levels.

To me, he still reigns.

You answer none of his questions. What you think about Elvis in '77 is not the question here.

Re: Future tours after august 1977

Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:09 pm

I actually heard from a local DJ out of Philly that Elvis was scheduled to play the Seattle Kingdom on New Year's Eve, 1977
This is the information that I have about post 8/16/77 tours:

August 17 &18 Portland, Maine
August 19 Utica, New York
August 20 Syracuse, New York
August 21 Hartford, Connecticut
August 22 Uniondale, New York
August 23 Lexington, Kentucky
August 24 Roanoke, Virginia
August 25 Fayetteville, North Carolina
August 26 Asheville, North Carolina
August 27 & 28 Memphis, Tennessee

For September of 1977, I have read that Elvis was going to play the following, this is obviosuly not a complete tour but some dates I have read. Perhaps there are others here who might be able to fill in the the missing dates::

Sept 16 Terre Haute, Indiana
Sept 20 Huntington, West Virginai
Sept 22 Huntington, West Virginia
Sept 26 Terre Haute, Indiana
Sept 28 Savanah, Georgia

Hope this helps

rlj

Re: Future tours after august 1977

Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:23 pm

I believe that i've read somewhere that Elvis was going to play the Hilton Pavillion in October not December.

No tours were planned beyond that August tour as far as i know.

The Louisiana Superdome and The Kingdome are just rumors but i wouldn't have been surprised if Colonel Parker booked Elvis in one of those venues for New years Eve.

I would have to liked to have seen Elvis play both the Superdome and The Kingdome to see what kind of attendance he could get.

I wonder if he could have drew 70,000 for both concerts and broken his previous best at the Silverdome.

Seeing if Elvis would have set a new attendance record in a bigger Las Vegas venue would have been interesting to me also.

Re: Future tours after august 1977

Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:25 pm

brian wrote:I believe that i've read somewhere that Elvis was going to play the Hilton Pavillion in October not December.

No tours were planned beyond that August tour as far as i know.

The Louisiana Superdome and The Kingdome are just rumors but i wouldn't have been surprised if Colonel Parker booked Elvis in one of those venues for New years Eve.

I would have to liked to have seen Elvis play both the Superdome and The Kingdome to see what kind of attendance he could get.

I wonder if he could have drew 70,000 for both concerts and broken his previous best at the Silverdome.

Seeing if Elvis would have set a new attendance record in a bigger Las Vegas venue would have been interesting to me also.


60000 in Pontiac was possible, with major city Detroit & Canadian border nearby however.
Elvis popularity in the south indicates a 70000 draw must have been possible.. why not.
Also because Elvis never played New Orleans in the 70's.
Elvis still sold out almost all of his concerts in 1977.

Concert success would have depended on which Elvis would have shown up:
The Chicago May 2nd Elvis or the Omaha one.
Last edited by Robert on Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Future tours after august 1977

Fri Dec 07, 2012 10:31 pm

Try going to http://www.elvis.net/tickets/tickets77p ... frame.html
for info about some September 1977 concert dates

Re: Future tours after august 1977

Fri Dec 07, 2012 11:52 pm

About the Superdome New Orleans: "On December 5, 1981, a concert by The Rolling Stones attracted more than 87,500 spectators, with attendees filling in the floor area, as well as the regular seating sections"
So, I think Elvis could atract the same audience too.

Re: Future tours after august 1977

Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:13 am

There were ideas to do a gospel tour in 1978; if these plans ever should be realised with the Colonel's permission that's the question?.

colonel snow

Re: Future tours after august 1977

Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:08 am

Xaykev wrote:
epf wrote:
jurasic1968 wrote:Sorry if this subject was discussed before: after the august 1977 tour (canceled because of Elvis's death) the Colonel made plans for others in autumn and winter?. Some speculated he booked Elvis in September 1977 on other tour, Jerry Hopkins wrote that Elvis would perform in a new Hilton Pavilion in a December 1977 engagement (in a 7200 seated room!) and I read in an old article that was possible for New Year's Eve 77/78 for Elvis to sing in New Orleans at the Superdome in front of 75.000 people!


Probaby i will mot make myself very popular, but it is my belief that it is for the best that Elvis was not subjected to those shows. He was in very poor shape, phisically, mentally and vocally. I am not sure Elvis could have pulled off these concerts without major damage being done to his street cred. I am not talking image even.

I so wish for Elvis to have had a different 1977, on a number of levels.

To me, he still reigns.

You answer none of his questions. What you think about Elvis in '77 is not the question here.


I beg to differ. Those shows talked about are '77 shows and imho he was in no shape to pull them off in a good way. Show me where the discrepancy is.

Re: Future tours after august 1977

Sat Dec 08, 2012 6:43 am

epf wrote:
Xaykev wrote:
epf wrote:
jurasic1968 wrote:Sorry if this subject was discussed before: after the august 1977 tour (canceled because of Elvis's death) the Colonel made plans for others in autumn and winter?. Some speculated he booked Elvis in September 1977 on other tour, Jerry Hopkins wrote that Elvis would perform in a new Hilton Pavilion in a December 1977 engagement (in a 7200 seated room!) and I read in an old article that was possible for New Year's Eve 77/78 for Elvis to sing in New Orleans at the Superdome in front of 75.000 people!


Probaby i will mot make myself very popular, but it is my belief that it is for the best that Elvis was not subjected to those shows. He was in very poor shape, phisically, mentally and vocally. I am not sure Elvis could have pulled off these concerts without major damage being done to his street cred. I am not talking image even.

I so wish for Elvis to have had a different 1977, on a number of levels.

To me, he still reigns.

You answer none of his questions. What you think about Elvis in '77 is not the question here.


I beg to differ. Those shows talked about are '77 shows and imho he was in no shape to pull them off in a good way. Show me where the discrepancy is.


It's simple.

Jurasic1968 asked if there was any plans after the planned August 1977 tour that's it.

He didn't ask what you think Elvis should have done or if he was in shape to perform shows.

That's irrelevant and not what was being asked.

Xaykev correctly pointed that out.

Re: Future tours after august 1977

Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:37 pm

thank you very much for your information. I read that in July 1977 Led Zepellin atracted 62.000 people at the Seattle Kingdom. At the Silverdome, Pontiac Michigan (December 31 1975) Elvis had a 60.000 spectators audience,comparing with the Who (75.000). So I think Elvis could have comparable figures at the New Orleans Superdome or to the Seattle Kingdom.

Re: Future tours after august 1977

Sat Dec 08, 2012 1:24 pm

jurasic1968 wrote:thank you very much for your information. I read that in July 1977 Led Zepellin atracted 62.000 people at the Seattle Kingdom. At the Silverdome, Pontiac Michigan (December 31 1975) Elvis had a 60.000 spectators audience,comparing with the Who (75.000). So I think Elvis could have comparable figures at the New Orleans Superdome or to the Seattle Kingdom.


So you are making a judgement on '77. You want him to have set records. But to what end? After EWH and the CBS thing, people would come for very wrong reasons. To see the wreck on the highway. epf is right.

rjm

Re: Future tours after august 1977

Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:32 pm

I would like to think that the August '77 tour would have been one of his best in years. I also would like to think that the book thing would have been blown out of the water.

I just said I'd like to.

Re: Future tours after august 1977

Sat Dec 08, 2012 9:54 pm

Elvis told to Billy Smith about the august 1977 tour: "Billy, son. this is gonna be my best tour ever" So maybe I am naive but what if Elvis finally get back into shape again and be on top one more time? If he survived on that tragic day of August 16, maybe, like Larry Geller wrote in his book, he would be on the right track again. And I am not counting any records on live attendance of Elvis competing with Led Zeppelin, Stones, The Who or others, just thinking that maybe a concert in some huge stadiums twice a year would have been better than endless tours in small towns or Vegas gigs. And about EWH: I don't think the book would have major impact on Elvis fans and I don't think if Elvis lived it had a major commercial success. Elvis planed to say in concerts that he only use prescription drugs and would present doctor Nick as testimony. Only EIC could have some damage of his image, but not much for the fans. So I think that the fans would fill big stadiums to see Elvis, of course if only he would be in better shape.

Re: Future tours after august 1977

Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:44 am

brian wrote:
No tours were planned beyond that August tour as far as i know.

.


Brian,

There were some dates alreay taken for the September Tour. There are newspaper articles about that.

Re: Future tours after august 1977

Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:47 am

Image

Re: Future tours after august 1977

Sun Dec 09, 2012 6:50 am

brian wrote:No tours were planned beyond that August tour as far as i know.


WOW, I thought I provided some helpful info above(?) :smt009

Re: Future tours after august 1977

Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:02 am

Francesc wrote:
brian wrote:
No tours were planned beyond that August tour as far as i know.

.


Brian,

There were some dates alreay taken for the September Tour. There are newspaper articles about that.


That's why i said as far as i know :roll:

Re: Future tours after august 1977

Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:00 am

whatever is said tours were planned because even in 'bad shape' the Colonel HAD to try to find ways to keep Elvis going.... remember the Colonels visit to Elvis at Graceland in Jan 75' Elvis again was in 'terrible shape' but the Colonel tricked Elvis into doing the Jackson benefit concert + more dates to get him working again. The Colonel knew Elvis was in bad shape in 77' but by keeping him touring was attempting to keep him going.......of cource this all ended in mid August......

Re: Future tours after august 1977

Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:03 pm

Yes, you're right. If the Colonel visited Graceland in August 77, talk to Elvis about the future (how to deal with EWH book), about concerts on big arenas (like the Kingdom or Superdome as we discussed), maybe Elvis will be up again. Offtopic: does anybody know when Elvis and the Colonel spoke last time and what?

Re: Future tours after august 1977

Mon Dec 10, 2012 12:09 am

Rob wrote:I would like to think that the August '77 tour would have been one of his best in years. I also would like to think that the book thing would have been blown out of the water.

I just said I'd like to.

I have no doubt that Elvis' August 77 tour would've been a history making event. With EWH just out, I'm sure he would treat his adoring fans to more 74-style drug rants.

Re: Future tours after august 1977

Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:35 am

brian wrote:
Francesc wrote:
brian wrote:
No tours were planned beyond that August tour as far as i know.

.


Brian,

There were some dates alreay taken for the September Tour. There are newspaper articles about that.


That's why i said as far as i know :roll:


You cannot say that anymore then . :D

Re: Future tours after august 1977

Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:47 am

Rob wrote:I would like to think that the August '77 tour would have been one of his best in years. I also would like to think that the book thing would have been blown out of the water.

I just said I'd like to.


50% of the people out there already knew he was drugs

25% of the people thought he was just sick, and was a trooper for going out there

25% Were totally blind to what was going on.

Re: Future tours after august 1977

Tue Dec 11, 2012 8:56 am

Lonely Summer wrote:I have no doubt that Elvis' August 77 tour would've been a history making event. With EWH just out, I'm sure he would treat his adoring fans to more 74-style drug rants.


He was a different guy by 1977. He wasn't the rebel anymore. He kind of cussed in 1977 on June 19 while on downers, but he really wasn't anywhere near the guy he was in 1974. He was doing coke in 1974. Whether it was the liquid legal stuff, or the illegal stuff that people said he only tried a few times - Elvis was on something more than prescriptions in 1974. He cussed on May 3 during the breakdown during Polk Salad, but I don't see him being *THAT* Elvis again.

(Although there was evidence of that Elvis off-mic a few times in 1976, though. June 30, 1976 for example. So who knows? I'd like to think he'd probably used bad language in a jokingly way, instead of the verbal assault he did in 1974.)