Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

30 #1 hits

Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:20 pm

Why is (Now and then) there's a fool such as I track on 30 #1 hits different than the original version I've always heard? This version is different than what I'm used to hearing. Anyone ever notice this?

Original
phpBB [video]

Re: 30 #1 hits

Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:26 pm

I couldn't find a link for 30#1 hits but listen to the track or listen to the preview on itunes

Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:56 pm

It's an alt. take :mrgreen:

Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:06 pm

GuitarKing wrote:Why is (Now and then) there's a fool such as I track on 30 #1 hits different than the original version I've always heard? This version is different than what I'm used to hearing. Anyone ever notice this?

Yes... when it first came out in 2002. That along with The Wonder of You are alternate takes... and A Big Hunk O' Love is not the spliced master but the complete take 4 IIRC. You should have seen this board when that CD first came out... people wanted to string David Bendeth up by his balls...

Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:50 pm

elvis-fan wrote:
GuitarKing wrote:Why is (Now and then) there's a fool such as I track on 30 #1 hits different than the original version I've always heard? This version is different than what I'm used to hearing. Anyone ever notice this?

Yes... when it first came out in 2002. That along with The Wonder of You are alternate takes... and A Big Hunk O' Love is not the spliced master but the complete take 4 IIRC. You should have seen this board when that CD first came out... people wanted to string David Bendeth up by his balls...

Yet that album got Elvis back to the top of the pop music charts and sold over 15 million world wide.

Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:05 pm

SuspiciousMind wrote:
elvis-fan wrote:

Yet that album got Elvis back to the top of the pop music charts and sold over 15 million world wide.

For sure... but opinions on this forum have little impact on CD sales...

Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:13 pm

Do a search of this forum and you will find a major discussion about this.

According to the people behind the project, they either (1) did not notice it was a sub-par alternate, (2) did not care it was a sub-par alternate, or (3) could not find the master tape in quality "good enough" for the project.

It was not the only track on that collection that was an inferior alternate take, and all the sales in the world cannot change that fact.

Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:19 pm

Thanks I always wondered why that was different but didn't understand why they would use an alternate track.

Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:32 pm

GuitarKing wrote:Thanks I always wondered why that was different but didn't understand why they would use an alternate track.

David Bendeth is the man who worked on the CD.

He's a member here, send him a PM with your concerns:
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/forum/ucp.php?i=pm&mode=compose&u=2116

Thu Dec 06, 2012 11:58 pm

GuitarKing, my understanding is that the U.S. version of Hitstory corrected the alternate take problems with 30 #1's.

Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:38 am

I just thought they were being sloppy.

With technology being what it is these days they could have gotten the master takes of ''Fool such as i'' and The Wonder of you'' and remastered them.

Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:39 am

I guess it has been a few months since this was all previously discussed!

Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:20 am

Has anyone taken the liberty of making a CD-R of the tracklisting of 30 #1 Hits, only using the more recent Vic Anesini remasters. Maybe even to the point of replacing "Wooden Heart" with "Little Sister"? Just Asking.

:smt102

Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:29 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Do a search of this forum and you will find a major discussion about this.

According to the people behind the project, they either (1) did not notice it was a sub-par alternate, (2) did not care it was a sub-par alternate, or (3) could not find the master tape in quality "good enough" for the project.

It was not the only track on that collection that was an inferior alternate take, and all the sales in the world cannot change that fact.

The most likely scenario.

Fri Dec 07, 2012 12:36 pm

Daryl wrote:Has anyone taken the liberty of making a CD-R of the tracklisting of 30 #1 Hits, only using the more recent Vic Anesini remasters. Maybe even to the point of replacing "Wooden Heart" with "Little Sister"? Just Asking.

And the point?
The 30 #1 Hits CD was a project CD unique to it's own sound/ mastering.
Anyone can compile 30 songs together from Vic's work, so what., but I don't see what the point would be to do so, The CD is not Vic Anesini's work and wasn't ment to be.
Not liking the mastering technique on "30 #1 Hits" is a matter of taste, not a matter of it being mastered wrong. :roll:

Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:18 pm

promiseland wrote:
Daryl wrote:Has anyone taken the liberty of making a CD-R of the tracklisting of 30 #1 Hits, only using the more recent Vic Anesini remasters. Maybe even to the point of replacing "Wooden Heart" with "Little Sister"? Just Asking.

And the point?
The 30 #1 Hits CD was a project CD unique to it's own sound/ mastering.
Anyone can compile 30 songs together from Vic's work, so what., but I don't see what the point would be to do so, The CD is not Vic Anesini's work and wasn't ment to be.
Not liking the mastering technique on "30 #1 Hits" is a matter of taste, not a matter of it being mastered wrong. :roll:

Quite right, the 30 #1 Hits CD was a real big deal at the time, stripping right back to the grass roots, and remixing the material, it shouldnt be compared to anything before or since, they were done abit loud, but hey not even the CM set got remixed, only remastered from the master tapes ....

Fri Dec 07, 2012 6:26 pm

this is and alway swill be my favourite "Hits" album, followed by 2nd to none.
Love the sound on them!

I made my own '50 Hits' playlist using both albums:

Heartbreak Hotel
Blue Suede Shoes
I Want You, I Need You, I Love You
Don't Be Cruel
Hound Dog
Love Me Tender
Too Much
All Shook Up
(Let Me Be Your) Teddy Bear
Jailhouse Rock
Don't
Wear My Ring Around Your Neck
Hard Headed Woman
King Creole
One Night
I Got Stung
(Now And Then There's) A Fool Such As I
I Need Your Love Tonight
A Big Hunk O' Love
Stuck On You
A Mess Of Blues
It's Now Or Never
Are You Lonesome Tonight?
Wooden Heart
Surrender
I Feel So Bad
(Marie's The Name) His Latest Flame
Little Sister
Rock-A-Hula Baby
Can't Help Falling In Love
Good Luck Charm
She's Not You
Return To Sender
(You're The) Devil In Disguise
Bossa Nova Baby
Viva Las Vegas
Crying In The Chapel
If I Can Dream
In The Ghetto
Suspicious Minds
Don't Cry Daddy
Kentucky Rain
The Wonder Of You
You Don't Have To Say You Love Me
An American Trilogy
Burning Love
Always On My Mind
Promised Land
Moody Blue
Way Down
Bonus Track - A Little Less Conversation (JXL Radio Edit Remix)

Plays great.

Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:23 am

30 #1 Hits has been long gone from my collection for a number of years. Don't miss it.

Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:37 am

I always liked the album :)

Fri Dec 14, 2012 2:40 pm

I play this disc in the car,sounds ok on the cd player in car .On the main sound system in house it sounds odd