Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Elvis..."A Someday Man"?

Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:25 am

As a fan of Paul Williams, I can't help but think of what Elvis would've done with some of his songs, such at this one:

phpBB [video]

Re: Elvis..."A Someday Man"?

Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:39 am

Paul Williams, a great songwriter imho. The thoughts of Elvis spending time with some like this in the studio:

phpBB [video]

Wed Dec 05, 2012 4:52 am

"Someday Man" was a minor hit for the Monkees. Davy Jones did a great job with the song, but it probably wasn't a good choice for a single because of the changing tempo.

Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:11 am

Elvis did cut Paul Williams "Where Do I Go From Here". I was always a big fan of Paul...I believe I am in the minority of those who liked hearing him sing his songs.

He has many that Elvis would have done a wonderful job on. I love DRIFTWOOD by Williams - also Old Souls. Many good ones.

Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:38 am

I'm not too sure. But, wasn't Rainy Days And Mondays a hit for The Carpenters?

Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:45 am

bajo wrote:I'm not too sure. But, wasn't Rainy Days And Mondays a hit for The Carpenters?

Yes.

Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:49 am

bajo wrote:I'm not too sure. But, wasn't Rainy Days And Mondays a hit for The Carpenters?

Yes. Like to know the date of the demo - or when it was available.

She was an excellent singer.

phpBB [video]

rjm

Wed Dec 05, 2012 8:54 pm

I always thought that Paul Williams should have wrote a song specifically for Elvis.

The Carpenters and Three Dog night were having huge success with his songs in the early 1970s.

It would've been great if Paul could have provided Elvis with a ballad or something because it could have been a big hit single.

Elvis did cover ''Where do i go from here'' but it wasn't the best Paul Williams composition nor was it singles material.

Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:15 pm

rjm wrote:

Yes. Like to know the date of the demo - or when it was available.

She was an excellent singer.

phpBB [video]

rjm

great singer Karen, one of my fav female vocalists

Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:57 pm

brian wrote:Elvis did cover ''Where do i go from here'' but it wasn't the best Paul Williams composition nor was it singles material.

Agree very much with that.

Although Roger Nichols' musical collaborations with the lyrics of Paul Williams were very commercial, they were often heartfelt and memorable too, perhaps the best example being "We've Only Just Begun," a huge hit when covered by the Carpenters in 1970, an amazing triumph of Karen's stunningly beautiful voice, brother Richard's superb vocal arrangements, resulting in a hauntingly perfect pop song:

phpBB [video]

Carpenters, "We've Only Just Begun" (A&M 1217, August 1970)
Lip-sync performance of 1970 single, from NBC-TV summer replacement series, "Make Your Own Kind Of Music," Tuesday, July 20, 1971
http://www.tvparty.com/vacarp.html

700821_A&M 1217_Carpenters.JPG
Carpenters, "We've Only Just Begun" (A&M 1217, August 1970)
Billboard US #2 on October 31, 1970
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Williams_(songwriter)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Nichols_(songwriter)

As with all things relating to Presley's music in the later years, Elvis allowed management far too much autonomy in selecting or acquiring material. Nichols-Williams were so hot in the '70s, it seems very unlikely they would have delivered anything fresh, as they would never have accepted the typically Draconian publishing deals Parker and Diskin offered.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.