Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

You Can Have Her

Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:49 pm

I just listened to the FTD release of "Live in LA." The bonus song "You Can Have Her" is a really neat performance by Elvis. Does anyone know why Elvis chose to sing this song at that particular concert? Is there a history between Elvis and that song? Did he ever consider recording it in the studio? Are there any rehearsal tapes where Elvis may have rehearsed it? It sounds too good to have been a spontaneous performance. Just wondering... Thanks for any help.

rlj

Re: You Can Have Her

Mon Jan 07, 2013 8:53 pm

rlj4ep wrote:I just listened to the FTD release of "Live in LA." The bonus song "You Can Have Her" is a really neat performance by Elvis. Does anyone know why Elvis chose to sing this song at that particular concert? Is there a history between Elvis and that song? Did he ever consider recording it in the studio? Are there any rehearsal tapes where Elvis may have rehearsed it? It sounds too good to have been a spontaneous performance. Just wondering... Thanks for any help.

rlj

Elvis rehearsed it during the may season :D Keithflynn's site notes when it was rehearsed, to bad the tape hasnt been found yet but it has been rehearsed and also been rehearsed (if memory serves well) in 1975

Mon Jan 07, 2013 9:15 pm

Elvis was a huge fan of Roy Hamilton who had a top ten hit with You Can Have Her in 1961. Waylon Jennings included a version in 1973 on his album Lonesome Onry and Mean,not shure if Waylon charted with it in U.S.
but I belive he did. So the song was around at the time.

Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:16 am

phpBB [video]

absolutely brilliant and an amazing voice.... very Jackie Wilson like or Jackie was very Roy like either way its great

Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:37 am

Very nice version by Hamilton. He does have a nice voice. I'd never heard that song by him before. Thanks so much houndog!

rlj

Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:39 am

no problem my pleasure

Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:58 am

Also recorded by Charlie Rich.

Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:40 am

Jerry Lee Lewis also made a decent recording of it.

Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:54 am

Interestingly, Good Times Charlie's Got The Blues was also on the same Waylon Jennings album - wonder if that's where Elvis heard it? He must have liked Waylon, as he also cut You Asked Me To, and I'm sure there's another Waylon Jennings song he tried, but felt he couldn't improve.

As another interesting aside, Ginger and Mary Halladay sang background on the Waylon Jennings album.

Tue Jan 08, 2013 4:41 am

Jimmy Ellis did a reasonable version also

Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:20 am

Always was one of my favourite songs and when I heard Elvis perform it I was blown away....................hopefully one day we'll get a decent quality version........................ 8)

Tue Jan 08, 2013 11:53 am

Here is Waylon doing it live.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5VXHy6ljvQ

:smt006

Tue Jan 08, 2013 12:00 pm

I can't help it, but the song for me always is related to the Elvis-Ginger Alden affair in 1976-1977 lyrics wise (has nothing to do with it of course and Elvis acted the opposite way)... Would be a nice inclusion on the Moody Blue album together with She Thinks I Still Care.

Wed Jan 09, 2013 1:25 am

I just wish a soundboard of this show surfaced.
Great performance by Elvis!