Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Elvis' opinions II

Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:03 am

Another question about Elvis' opinions on things:

1) Who were Elvis' favorite actors and actresses growing up (In his childhood guys like Clark Gable and Humphrey Bogart would've been the biggest stars, and people like James Dean and Brando would've been popular in his teens and early twenties). What movies did he really love growing up? I know when he died it's said his favorite movie was Monty Python and the Holy Grail, but what were some of his other favorites?

2) What were his views on his contemporaries in popular music--Ricky Nelson, Chuck Berry, Perry Cuomo, Sinatra and the Rat Pack, Doo Wop, Pat Boone, etc?

3) What were his opinion of the "sex symbol" ladies of his own day, like Jayne Mansfield, Marilyn Monroe and Elizabeth Taylor?

Re: Elvis' opinions II

Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:11 am

He'd rather keep his own personal views about that to himself - he's just an entertainer.

Re: Elvis' opinions II

Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:25 am

That's a good question i don't recall hearing a lot about movies he liked during his childhood or actors and actresses during that time.

I only know that he was a fan of Marlon Brando, James Dean, Richard Widmark and Tony Curtis when he was in his teens and early twenties.

Maybe Cary Grant and John Wayne.

Re: Elvis' opinions II

Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:07 am

I don't know if anybody then or now could tell us how he felt about Perry Cuomo. :smt003 He thought Pat Boone was a very good ballad singer.

Re: Elvis' opinions II

Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:47 am

A full answer right here would be VERY long. It's all in the archives, and in the many good bios and oral histories under hardcover. Many are e-books now which you can easily download. But if you do an archives search, you'll get your answers.

"Dr. Strangelove" -- remember that one! He watched it a lot. He liked many performers and many actors. Didn't seem interested in Marilyn or Liz. But there were others. It can get complicated.

Good luck on the journey. There's much to find out. And a lot of it is in the archives.

rjm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Re: Elvis' opinions II

Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:30 pm

Matthew wrote:He'd rather keep his own personal views about that to himself - he's just an entertainer.

and .."First of all, I plead innocent of all charges."

Re: Elvis' opinions II

Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:41 pm

Errol Flynn wrote:Another question about Elvis' opinions on things:

1) Who were Elvis' favorite actors and actresses growing up (In his childhood guys like Clark Gable and Humphrey Bogart would've been the biggest stars, and people like James Dean and Brando would've been popular in his teens and early twenties).
Milton Kibbee, Bess Flowers, Dub Taylor, Lassie

What movies did he really love growing up?
Saratoga Trunk, Bambi, Deep Waters, The Ape, Sherlock Holmes in Washington

I know when he died it's said his favorite movie was Monty Python and the Holy Grail, but what were some of his other favorites?
The Blob, Thirty Foot Bride of Candy Rock, Lucky Lady, Trog

2) What were his views on his contemporaries in popular music--Ricky Nelson, Chuck Berry, Perry Cuomo, Sinatra and the Rat Pack, Doo Wop, Pat Boone, etc?
He was a huge fan of Perry Cuomo.

3) What were his opinion of the "sex symbol" ladies of his own day, like Jayne Mansfield, Marilyn Monroe and Elizabeth Taylor?
He liked them, but really dug Mary Wickes.

Re: Elvis' opinions II

Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:56 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:3) What were his opinion of the "sex symbol" ladies of his own day, like Jayne Mansfield, Marilyn Monroe and Elizabeth Taylor?
He liked them, but really dug Mary Wickes.


I thought he liked Margaret Hamilton, he must have seen her when he was 4 or 5. :smt006

Re: Elvis' opinions II

Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:16 pm

Doc, kind of a guilty pleasure of mine is Sherlock Holmes In Washington. Nice to know Elvis dug it too. :smt002

Re: Elvis' opinions II

Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:54 pm

Tony Curtis was a big favourite from the 50's. It is said that he died his hair black to be more like him. A very big favourite in the 60's was Peter Sellers.

Re: Elvis' opinions II

Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:17 am

Judging by the records in his collection, the songs he sang in private, and the songs he recorded, Elvis was a big fan of doo wop music, although it was not called that when he was listening to it. Original Drifters' lead singer Clyde McPhatter was one of Elvis' big favorites. According to Sam Phillips, he said he would never want for another thing if he had a voice like McPhatter. He often went back to McPhatter and the Drifters for material- "Fools Fall in Love" (which is actually mid-period Drifters not McPhatter), "Money Honey," "Come What May." Their version of "White Christmas" is the inspiration for his. He also recorded many tunes recorded by the Clovers. One Clovers' 45 included "There's No Tomorrow" (which contained "O Sole Mio" the tune for "It's Now or Never") and "Down in the Alley" on the other. His incorporation of the Jordanaires into the act including doo wop techniques like special bass vocal parts, call and response etc. showed his love for vocal music which is not surprising being that doo wop groups were direct descendants of the church vocal groups he loved. The best evidence of Elvis' passion for doo wop is the version of "Earth Angel" on the Golden Celebration set. After Elvis sings it, someone tells him that's a good record. And Elvis answers "No doubt about it."

Elvis was a decent sized fan of Dean Martin's well into adulthood with several Dino Lps in his collection. As a teen, it would make sense that Elvis was a fan as Martin and Lewis were about the biggest act in the business and Dino was the cool one.

There's also no doubt, no doubt about Elvis' love of Chuck Berry. Listen to the MDQ and hear Elvis and Carl Perkins just rave Berry to high heaven. According to friends, Elvis thought enough of Berry to go out and hear him in Vegas. After tearing through "Johnny B. Goode" in 1970 again Elvis lets in on his feelings, "That's a gooood number boy."

According to Priscilla, he liked Ricky Nelson but thought he was an imitator. Being asked to mimic Nelson's hairstyle was taken as a huge insult.

As for movies, besides Dr Strangelove which has already been mentioned, Elvis was a big fan of West Side Story, Diabolique, Across 110th Street and The Way of All Flesh among others. He was quite the cineaste according to Jerry Schilling.

On the sex idols, before leaving for Europe he expressed a possible desire to meet Bridget Bardot.

In terms of actors, Brando and Dean seem to have come up a lot in his conversations with people about great actors. He even went so far to call Dean "a genius at acting" in a 1956 interview.

Re: Elvis' opinions II

Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:43 pm

Errol Flynn wrote:Who were Elvis' favorite actors and actresses growing up...

I've heard that Errol Flynn was his favorite actor growing up.
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Errol_Flynn
Last edited by Blue River on Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Elvis' opinions II

Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:49 pm

likethebike wrote:Judging by the records in his collection, the songs he sang in private, and the songs he recorded, Elvis was a big fan of doo wop music, although it was not called that when he was listening to it. Original Drifters' lead singer Clyde McPhatter was one of Elvis' big favorites. According to Sam Phillips, he said he would never want for another thing if he had a voice like McPhatter. He often went back to McPhatter and the Drifters for material- "Fools Fall in Love" (which is actually mid-period Drifters not McPhatter), "Money Honey," "Come What May." Their version of "White Christmas" is the inspiration for his. He also recorded many tunes recorded by the Clovers. One Clovers' 45 included "There's No Tomorrow" (which contained "O Sole Mio" the tune for "It's Now or Never") and "Down in the Alley" on the other. His incorporation of the Jordanaires into the act including doo wop techniques like special bass vocal parts, call and response etc. showed his love for vocal music which is not surprising being that doo wop groups were direct descendants of the church vocal groups he loved. The best evidence of Elvis' passion for doo wop is the version of "Earth Angel" on the Golden Celebration set. After Elvis sings it, someone tells him that's a good record. And Elvis answers "No doubt about it."

Elvis was a decent sized fan of Dean Martin's well into adulthood with several Dino Lps in his collection. As a teen, it would make sense that Elvis was a fan as Martin and Lewis were about the biggest act in the business and Dino was the cool one.

There's also no doubt, no doubt about Elvis' love of Chuck Berry. Listen to the MDQ and hear Elvis and Carl Perkins just rave Berry to high heaven. According to friends, Elvis thought enough of Berry to go out and hear him in Vegas. After tearing through "Johnny B. Goode" in 1970 again Elvis lets in on his feelings, "That's a gooood number boy."

According to Priscilla, he liked Ricky Nelson but thought he was an imitator. Being asked to mimic Nelson's hairstyle was taken as a huge insult.

As for movies, besides Dr Strangelove which has already been mentioned, Elvis was a big fan of West Side Story, Diabolique, Across 110th Street and The Way of All Flesh among others. He was quite the cineaste according to Jerry Schilling.

On the sex idols, before leaving for Europe he expressed a possible desire to meet Bridget Bardot.

In terms of actors, Brando and Dean seem to have come up a lot in his conversations with people about great actors. He even went so far to call Dean "a genius at acting" in a 1956 interview.


His love for all things Pink Panther and Monty Python offer insights into his sense of humor.

Re: Elvis' opinions II

Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:55 pm

I wonder if he would have laughed at "This Is Spinal Tap."