Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Why isn't complete MSG press conference incl. on "Prince"?

Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:30 pm

I have seen video footage from this on other release, and don't understand why the whole thing isn't included on the dvd and in the booklet?
I found this whole interview facsinating and interesting and I hate seeing something chopped up.. particularly his reaction to the question about whether his wife Priscilla was with him is touching and revealing about his state in mind. A state of mind that got out-of-control in the following year.

Re: Why isn't complete MSG press conference incl. on "Prince

Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:38 pm

Does the press conference exist in complete form in good quality?

Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:43 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:Does the press conference exist in complete form in good quality?

Exactly Doc, No and this has been explained already in another PFAP thread .
The footage was ment to be consistant in quality, not spliced from several sources. This CD set wasn't released to give the viewer a feel that it was a bootleg persay.

Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:24 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:Does the press conference exist in complete form in good quality?

of couse it dose it was filmed by many sources,

Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:40 pm

Yes, as this was recorded by several TV / news agencies etc. It only lasted 20 minutes and wasn't shot over a period of several weeks like "Elvis on tour", "TTWII" etc. It can't be difficult to piece together 20 minutes of film from different cameras / sources that would still be extant. I bet "Star" or someone won't have a problem doing it. But, just like the Dorsey, Berle shows etc, if we wait anoither 50 years or so, we may get something complete for once! :twisted:

Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:53 pm

im sure i have 90% of it in good quality here and there i must get around to do it, its no good waiting :(

Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:03 pm

robbie wrote:im sure i have 90% of it in good quality here and there i must get around to do it, its no good waiting :(

No. Most of us decent collectors will be dead before we see these things. I could name you at least 10 Elvis fans / collectors who have sadly passed away in the last 18 months or so. It's worrying to see all these loving, dedicated fans leaving us with so much material and projects never done properly or ever completed.

Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:04 pm

Epe would have to pay all the different tv stations that filmed it to put it all together. Star would not have too.

Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:59 pm

DEH wrote:Epe would have to pay all the different tv stations that filmed it to put it all together. Star would not have too.

Then there is the question whether all TV stations are willing to part with their archive footage or even have kept it.....
Star, or any other bootlegger, can simply compile it from whatever has been available up to now.

Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:47 pm

How complete is the footage on PFAP?
How many minutes do we miss?

Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:52 pm

Robert wrote:How complete is the footage on PFAP?
How many minutes do we miss?

The press con was 20 mins

Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:37 pm

promiseland wrote:

Exactly Doc, No and this has been explained already in another PFAP thread .
The footage was ment to be consistant in quality, not spliced from several sources. This CD set wasn't released to give the viewer a feel that it was a bootleg persay.

I don't recall the "Priscilla" comment to be shot in inferior quality ? isn't it in "This is Elvis" ?

There's also other bits I saw in the same quality as on Prince on another bootleg dvd, it wasn't bootleg picture quality though.

Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:04 pm

robbie wrote:

So many of you never take into account the realities of how the process works.

Friday, June 9, 1972 is over forty years ago.

Gathering and restoring the original elements, and getting the licensing rights, to these "many sources' might just have been outside the scope of the budget and timeline of the Prince From Another Planet project.

Food for thought.

Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:47 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
robbie wrote:

Gathering and restoring the original elements, and getting the licensing rights, to these "many sources' might just have been outside the scope of the budget and timeline of the Prince From Another Planet project.

Food for thought.

Common doc... you know reality for most of these people only exists as far as their front door... hey, if they can imagine it happening, it must be reality!!!

Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:56 pm

elvis-fan wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
robbie wrote:

Food for thought.

Common doc... you know reality for most of these people only exists as far as their front door... hey, if they can imagine it happening, it must be reality!!!

Yup.

Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:02 pm

It isn't that time consuming really. If one looks on Youtube one can see that ABC even has put its segment of the press conference online. In outstanding close up quality I might add.

Segments have appeared all over the place, on Joe Esposito's DVD there are some pieces that have never appeared elsewhere, same with Elvis Memories by George Klein, The Great Performances, This Is Elvis, the No.1 DVD some years ago, the list is endless. It's all ready and available, the will just isn't there to put it together once and for all.
And I don't see it ever appearing complete now, at least not on an official release. PFAP was THE opportunity to do it right at last, it didn't happen and I don't see it happen anymore now.

Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:10 pm

One thing I am surprised that was not included the set was the full length WNBC opening night footage. While rough and incomplete, segments are used in the documentary.

Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:12 pm

Simon1 wrote:It isn't that time consuming really.

If you say so. ;-)

Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:46 pm

Mike C wrote:One thing I am surprised that was not included the set was the full length WNBC opening night footage. While rough and incomplete, segments are used in the documentary.

They used a poor print too, strange.
The short clip with multi track sound is stunning on the documentary dvd.
It makes you scream for more footage.
They should have used all available NBC footage with June 10th sound.
Plus the Afternoon 8 mm footage without the black screen.

I wonder how the staff meeting went when they planned the content of this boxset.

Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:54 pm

Robert wrote:I wonder how the staff meeting went when they planned the content of this boxset.

"Ernst, we're bringing on a second producer for this one - he's gonna take care of overseeing the sound, make sure it's all goosed up - you understand..."

Ernst lets out a resigned whimper.

Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:37 am

Robert wrote:
Mike C wrote:One thing I am surprised that was not included the set was the full length WNBC opening night footage. While rough and incomplete, segments are used in the documentary.

They used a poor print too, strange.
The short clip with multi track sound is stunning on the documentary dvd.
It makes you scream for more footage.
They should have used all available NBC footage with June 10th sound.
Plus the Afternoon 8 mm footage without the black screen.

I wonder how the staff meeting went when they planned the content of this boxset.

Yep. I mentioned this fact on another thread.

Just imagine if the best parts from the WNBC opening night footage was merged with the superior angles of the 16mm Jonas Mekas film!
Now that would be something very special indeed.

And if the soon to be released Left A Good Job In The City (SA) is as good as being touted, then we would have a more than acceptable accompanying soundtrack to partner said footage.

As Elvis fans, we can but dream.

Tue Dec 04, 2012 12:50 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
robbie wrote:

Food for thought.

was not talkin how the process works but it still exists in complete form

Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:22 am

Matthew wrote:
Robert wrote:I wonder how the staff meeting went when they planned the content of this boxset.

"Ernst, we're bringing on a second producer for this one - he's gonna take care of overseeing the sound, make sure it's all goosed up - you understand..."

Ernst lets out a resigned whimper...

...and then he said "you don't need to get someone in to do that. Have you not heard 9% of my FTD output?"

Tue Dec 04, 2012 1:36 am

poormadpeter wrote:
Matthew wrote:

...and then he said "you don't need to get someone in to do that. Have you not heard 9% of my FTD output?"

Classic!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:09 am

poormadpeter wrote:
Matthew wrote:

Be proud. A warm seat with your name on it is waiting for you in AU. ;-)