Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Last Train To Memphis / Careless Love - Kindle Editions

Fri Dec 21, 2012 9:27 pm

Hello,

I don't know if anyone else has mentioned this yet, but in the United States, for the Amazon Kindle, both volumes of Peter Guralnick's groundbreaking biography are available. I don't know if this holds true for some of the other book e-readers out there such as the iPad or the Nook tablet. I only know that it's available for download on the Kindle Fire. It makes it nice in that the citations in the back of the book are easily referenced throughout the book. As you are reading the book on the Kindle Fire, the referenced portions are in a blue font and you can click on them and you will be instantly taken to the citation page in question at the back of the book for the citation you are looking up. Click on the citation you just referenced and you will return back to the page you were reading. The Kindle Fire version has the maps of Memphis found inside the covers of the original printed version of the book too.

Daryl

Re: Last Train To Memphis / Careless Love - Kindle Editions

Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:13 am

If I was to buy these from Amazon.com would I be able to download them to my Kindle, as I'm in the UK? Not sure if it would work.

Re: Last Train To Memphis / Careless Love - Kindle Editions

Sat Dec 22, 2012 10:28 am

Thank you! (Finally, an easy search! No rummaging through the index, through the footnotes . . .) This is great! (Have to wait 'till after Christmas; I am literally broke. 12 dollars and 69 cents left in my account. I won't be treating anyone to dinner over the long holiday weekend, for sure! Terrible experience, to go to the bank, and get a balance out of the ATM, and it says that! FTD is gonna bankrupt me: old FECC Folk Song.)

As to any International restrictions, I don't see why. If you buy a Kindle, and download a Kindle book, it should "play" just fine. I don't think there's a conflict. And you can buy stuff internationally, 'cause I did. There was this weird little book on Sinatra's FBI file, really good, and I wanted it. Only on Amazon U.K. Worked perfectly. I signed on in, whatever you had to do, ordered the book, they charged my card, and it arrived at my door. A download ought to be a lot quicker, even.

(I did have a problem with The Elvis Shop; I was using a card from my credit union, and they said I needed to go to the bank and authorize "an International transaction." With a big bank, though, I wouldn't think that'd be an issue. It wasn't with amazon UK, earlier.)

There is also an unabridged audible audio book edition of both volumes, but not read by Peter Guralnick, unfortunately. Here's a link where you can listen to a sample: http://www.amazon.com/Last-Train-Memphis-Elvis-Presley/dp/B009ZP0M7C/ref=tmm_aud_title_0?ie=UTF8&qid=1356161577&sr=8-3

That is expensive; the Kindle is cheap. :D

Couldn't hurt to try. All the best of luck!

rjm