Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

One Night With You - excellent review by a non Elvis fan

Tue Apr 23, 2013 1:52 am

Here's a great review of the One Night With You video from the perspective of someone who, in his own words, "wouldn't, in the normal scheme of things, describe [himself] as an Elvis Presley fan."

Yes, there are lots of factual inaccuracies and gaps in his knowledge of all things Elvis, but he gets it just as much as any of us do. Very refreshing to read.

http://worldofstuart.excellentcontent.com/elvis.htm

Re: One Night With You - excellent review by a non Elvis fan

Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:24 am

NumberEight wrote:Here's a great review of the One Night With You video from the perspective of someone who, in his own words, "wouldn't, in the normal scheme of things, describe [himself] as an Elvis Presley fan."

Yes, there are lots of factual inaccuracies and gaps in his knowledge of all things Elvis, but he gets it just as much as any of us do. Very refreshing to read.

Wow! What a pleasurable read. The guy's introduction sets the tone:

I wouldn't, in the normal scheme of things, describe myself as an Elvis Presley fan. After a brief dalliance with glam rock (in the shape of The Sweet) in the early 70s, it was punk that really awakened my interest in music, and Elvis died just as punk broke, so he never meant anything to me while he was alive. And when you look back at his career from the perspective of the present day, the good bits make up a tiny proportion of the 20 years it lasted. For 95% of that time, Elvis was a puppet in the hands of his manager Col. Tom Parker, who squandered what it turns out was probably the greatest natural rock'n'roll talent of all time making cheesy movies and then becoming a tragic cabaret act - doped to the eyeballs, dressed like a Christmas-tree fairy and searching in desperate bewilderment for a faintly-remembered spark of burning soul from a distant past, whose occasional brief flickers through the Vegas sludge only served to illustrate the tragedy all the more painfully.

So if Elvis was crap nearly all the time, how do we know he was probably the greatest natural rock'n'roll talent of all time? Because, chiefly, of Elvis - One Night With You.

Happy Elvis.JPG
Happy Elvis.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:26 am

Well, he loves the sit down show and that's cool, but I think he's over the top in his belittling of every other facet of Elvis' career. The irony is that Elvis, left to his own tastes, probably liked crooning ballads as much, or more, than the rock and blues. I personally like Memories at the end of the show, and it's impressive how nicely he does this after singing his guts out for an hour.

It's a nice review of the special but a crappy history lesson on Elvis' life.

Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:29 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
NumberEight wrote:Here's a great review of the One Night With You video from the perspective of someone who, in his own words, "wouldn't, in the normal scheme of things, describe [himself] as an Elvis Presley fan."

Wow! What a pleasurable read. The guy's introduction sets the tone:

I wouldn't, in the normal scheme of things, describe myself as an Elvis Presley fan. After a brief dalliance with glam rock (in the shape of The Sweet) in the early 70s, it was punk that really awakened my interest in music, and Elvis died just as punk broke, so he never meant anything to me while he was alive. And when you look back at his career from the perspective of the present day, the good bits make up a tiny proportion of the 20 years it lasted. For 95% of that time, Elvis was a puppet in the hands of his manager Col. Tom Parker, who squandered what it turns out was probably the greatest natural rock'n'roll talent of all time making cheesy movies and then becoming a tragic cabaret act - doped to the eyeballs, dressed like a Christmas-tree fairy and searching in desperate bewilderment for a faintly-remembered spark of burning soul from a distant past, whose occasional brief flickers through the Vegas sludge only served to illustrate the tragedy all the more painfully.

So if Elvis was crap nearly all the time, how do we know he was probably the greatest natural rock'n'roll talent of all time? Because, chiefly, of Elvis - One Night With You.

Happy Elvis.JPG
Happy Elvis.

Apart from the introduction, it was nice for him to appreciate the greatest rock & roll ever performed. God, he was so great during this special, not too mention how he looked, just phenomenal! Thanks for the link NumberEight.

Tue Apr 23, 2013 2:51 am

Joe Car wrote:Apart from the introduction,

What was wrong with the introduction? :wink:

Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:01 pm

Matthew wrote:
Joe Car wrote:Apart from the introduction,

What was wrong with the introduction? :wink:

:)

Tue Apr 23, 2013 3:17 pm

Generalisations are so easy, even when you look like the Xmas Fairy.

Tue Apr 23, 2013 5:14 pm

If he had seen Elvis in Vegas with me during the 61 shows I saw he couldn't possibly write such silly nonsense as that description of the Vegas years. Jeez.

Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:07 am

chris j wrote:If he had seen Elvis in Vegas with me during the 61 shows I saw he couldn't possibly write such silly nonsense as that description of the Vegas years. Jeez.

61 shows? Far out. What shows did you see?