Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: EOT not released due to not making money

Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:47 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
kaatje wrote:I simply do not understand why they wont released it.
TTWII and EOT are very important in Elvis his life and our life.
Next to the 68 Comeback and The Aloha these 2 things are the milestones in his career.
There is so much footage from TTWII, they simply can make a 4 dvdbox with 4 complete shows.
And do the same thing with EOT, include some backstage and rehearsal footage.
Get our man back in the list and give us what we want, just released it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Grt. Michel

::rocks

Because they will lose money. We have been through this time and time again. As I have said earlier, one hour of footage to restore costs approx $75,000. Each show is filmed from four or five camera angles. So that makes it $350,000 PER CONCERT just to restore the footage, without editing it together, or doing an HD transfer which, if memory serves me correct is approx $200,000 per hour to do. That's over half a million pounds for a one hour concert to be restored and transferred to HD without any editing, artwork, pressing or mastering of dvds.

They may lose a few dollars on an Elvis box set, but surely that could be swallowed up by the trillions and trillions of dollars of profit they make each year churning out Harry Potter /Batman / Spiderman etc remakes year after year after year...? :x

Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:57 pm

I won't spend a dime on EOT unless or until I can purchase the original EOT on DVD with the opening JBG sequence restored to its rightful place. End of story.

Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:01 pm

JerryNodak wrote:I won't spend a dime on EOT unless or until I can purchase the original EOT on DVD with the opening JBG sequence restored to its rightful place. End of story.

Me neither. And, ironically, it must have cost more money, time and effort to actually go in and change / alter this sequence than just leaving it as it was!!! :smt003
Last edited by Tony.. on Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:45 pm

In 5 years there will be that many less people caring about EOT or Elvis in general unless something happens within the industry to spur interest. The last time this happened was 2002 when 30 # 1 Hits was releasesd and Disney put out the Lilo & Stich movie which featured Elvis songs. There was also a TV special hosted by Chris Isaak that year featuring the red-hot (at the time) Norah Jones. But 10 years is a lifetime in the music industry and CDs have gone the way of the cassette to most folks since then. I hate to say it but unless something really unique happens like a Duets album with a major promo campaign , Elvis will sell less & less every year and no one will put the time and effort into a release just to satisy the fans that want it.

Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:54 pm

Tony.. wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Next to the 68 Comeback and The Aloha these 2 things are the milestones in his career.
There is so much footage from TTWII, they simply can make a 4 dvdbox with 4 complete shows.
Get our man back in the list and give us what we want, just released it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Grt. Michel

Because they will lose money. We have been through this time and time again. As I have said earlier, one hour of footage to restore costs approx $75,000. Each show is filmed from four or five camera angles. So that makes it $350,000 PER CONCERT just to restore the footage, without editing it together, or doing an HD transfer which, if memory serves me correct is approx $200,000 per hour to do. That's over half a million pounds for a one hour concert to be restored and transferred to HD without any editing, artwork, pressing or mastering of dvds.

They may lose a few dollars on an Elvis box set, but surely that could be swallowed up by the trillions and trillions of dollars of profit they make each year churning out Harry Potter /Batman / Spiderman etc remakes year after year after year...? :x

How many businesses do you know that will knowingly spend money on a venture that will lose them money?

Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:58 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
Tony.. wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:

Grt. Michel

How many businesses do you know that will knowingly spend money on a venture that will lose them money?

Not a small business of course, but a HUGE conglomerate that pays average actors millions of dollars to appear in yet another 'sequel' or 'prequel' can afford to look into it's vaults occasionally.

Sun Apr 21, 2013 8:53 pm

Bodie wrote:If they would have released TTWII-SE properly then it would have made more money than it did.

The day BEFORE its official DVD release back in 2001, some half-wit thought it was a great idea to put it out on National US TV with the added 4 digitally remastered songs which were left out of the DVD release.

Im sure Its the only Special Edition of any kind that has been released on DVD that is actually shorter than the original film.

The people that run Turner couldn't even run a bath they are that stupid when it comes down to releasing the Elvis footage they have. :roll:

That is stupid. I wonder who thought that was a good idea.

Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:20 pm

episthebest wrote:
Bodie wrote:If they would have released TTWII-SE properly then it would have made more money than it did.

The day BEFORE its official DVD release back in 2001, some half-wit thought it was a great idea to put it out on National US TV with the added 4 digitally remastered songs which were left out of the DVD release.

Im sure Its the only Special Edition of any kind that has been released on DVD that is actually shorter than the original film.

The people that run Turner couldn't even run a bath they are that stupid when it comes down to releasing the Elvis footage they have. :roll:

That is stupid. I wonder who thought that was a good idea.

Since it's quite obvious they don't care, I wish it would fall into the hands of someone that DOES care enough to completely restore and make perfect the Elvis On Tour outtake footage. Or, at the very least release all of the 40 hours worth of Elvis On Tour footage in the same quality as He Didn't Come Back We Did or Elvis On Tour The Complete Outtakes.

Sun Apr 21, 2013 9:50 pm

Tony.. wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Tony.. wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:

Grt. Michel

Not a small business of course, but a HUGE conglomerate that pays average actors millions of dollars to appear in yet another 'sequel' or 'prequel' can afford to look into it's vaults occasionally.

A comment which shows that you have no idea what you're talking about. WB have restored over a couple of thousand films over the last decade and a half (more than any other studio), and have released well over a thousand of them on DVD through their burn on demand service. They have made public their plans to release ALL the films they have in their vaults on DVD or BOD within the next decade. Heard something like that coming from Universal? Paramount? No. Didn't think so.

WB look into their vaults, and they restore the films. EOT HAS been restored, and we have all but two minutes of that restoration on Blu-Ray and DVD. But the original opening would have been restored at the same time. Understandably, WB want to "save" all films they can within their vaults (nitrate deteriorates over time, and it is literally a race to save old films), but they will do that for the most part by restoring the films themselves and not hunting around for outtakes that people on here want to see. Every company has its priorities - and regarding its restoration program, WB has saving works that will otherwise be lost altogether at the top of their list. And for that I commend them.

By saving the films in their vaults and not digging out Elvis outtakes they won't please people here. But anyone who gives a damn about film will know they are doing the right thing.

Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:11 am

poormadpeter wrote:EOT HAS been restored

please explain to me why some of the scenes in this film look better than others on the latest versions released??

Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:38 am

I totally agree with that ! ::rocks

Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:50 am

sweetangeline wrote:

please explain to me why some of the scenes in this film look better than others on the latest versions released??

It depends on how it was shot, how it was stored, the element that survived, and what condition they survived in.

Mon Apr 22, 2013 1:56 am

poormadpeter wrote:
sweetangeline wrote:

It depends on how it was shot, how it was stored, the element that survived, and what condition they survived in.

thanks

Tue Apr 23, 2013 4:56 pm

poormadpeter wrote:

Yes, but the 2 dvd version didn't sell well either, and that had bonus footage. What's more, we now often buy dvds of tv shows that only aired the previous week - the chances that it hurt sales that much is quite slim. As I have said before, I sat in the cinema alone and watched it. quote]

They must have known you were gonna be there!! LOL

Wed Apr 24, 2013 12:30 am

the early years of film that still exists is top priority for wb to do restoring and saving 1st on the list cause nitrate turns to dust if not transferred to safety backups the movies wont exist anymore.
I would also say it's song writers hold outs cause why Eot not been released with more songs like Chuck Berry jbg.

Wed Apr 24, 2013 1:35 am

I don't think Chuck Berry has anything to with Johnny B. Goode not being in the dvd/blu release. WB could have gotten the rights to use it or they could have postponed the release until they had it sorted. They chose not to, which shows that it was not a high priority release.
The movie Malcolm X was postponed for more than a year because WB had problems getting the rights to use Sam Cooke's A Change is Gonna Come for the BD release.