Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

EOT not released due to not making money

Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:13 pm

As its not likely EOT will get a deluxe release because the cost of making it won't match the money it would make and it will generate $0 income just sitting in the vaults, how about just transfering all the reels digitally and sell it "as is" for $500 per person? at least they would make some money off of it and im sure there is quite a few hundred people who would be glad to have all EOT material

Re: EOT not released due to not making money

Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:11 pm

voldto wrote:As its not likely EOT will get a deluxe release because the cost of making it won't match the money it would make and it will generate $0 income just sitting in the vaults, how about just transfering all the reels digitally and sell it "as is" for $500 per person? at least they would make some money off of it and im sure there is quite a few hundred people who would be glad to have all EOT material

They'll probably sell a few copies and the people who bought it will sell DVD-R's.....

Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:46 pm

zolderopruiming1 wrote:
voldto wrote:As its not likely EOT will get a deluxe release because the cost of making it won't match the money it would make and it will generate $0 income just sitting in the vaults, how about just transfering all the reels digitally and sell it "as is" for $500 per person? at least they would make some money off of it and im sure there is quite a few hundred people who would be glad to have all EOT material

They'll probably sell a few copies and the people who bought it will sell DVD-R's.....

Then I wonder how 'lesser' acts (no disrespect intended) can 'afford' to keep putting out beautiful multiple DVD packages. Artists such as Deep Purple, Neil Young and others can put out regular and complete DVD packages for their fans, so there's no excuse regards cost, profit etc.

Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:53 pm

Tony.. wrote:
zolderopruiming1 wrote:

Then I wonder how 'lesser' acts (no disrespect intended) can 'afford' to keep putting out beautiful multiple DVD packages. Artists such as Deep Purple, Neil Young and others can put out regular and complete DVD packages for their fans, so there's no excuse regards cost, profit etc.

Yes there is.
The fans of these artists buy the original product, whereas Elvis fans buy CD-R's and DVD+R's.
Perhaps because a lot more Elvis product is released than Deep Purple et cetera product.
If there is a new release once a year or twice a year, you can afford to buy the product.
If releases are on an almost weekly basis, counting both official and unofficial releases, fans do not buy everything official anymore.

Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:58 pm

Elvis on Tour multiple DVD deluxe edition will be an oficial one and maybe the last important video of Elvis Presley. So I think the fans will buy it because it is a once in a lifetime event (Hope we'll be alive to buy it!)

Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:29 pm

If they would have released TTWII-SE properly then it would have made more money than it did.

The day BEFORE its official DVD release back in 2001, some half-wit thought it was a great idea to put it out on National US TV with the added 4 digitally remastered songs which were left out of the DVD release.

Im sure Its the only Special Edition of any kind that has been released on DVD that is actually shorter than the original film.

The people that run Turner couldn't even run a bath they are that stupid when it comes down to releasing the Elvis footage they have. :roll:

Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:35 pm

Bodie wrote:If they would have released TTWII-SE properly then it would have made more money than it did.

The day BEFORE its official DVD release back in 2001, some half-wit thought it was a great idea to put it out on National US TV with the added 4 digitally remastered songs which were left out of the DVD release.

Im sure Its the only Special Edition of any kind that has been released on DVD that is actually shorter than the original film.

The people that run Turner couldn't even run a bath they are that stupid when it comes down to releasing the Elvis footage they have. :roll:

Yes, but the 2 dvd version didn't sell well either, and that had bonus footage. What's more, we now often buy dvds of tv shows that only aired the previous week - the chances that it hurt sales that much is quite slim. As I have said before, I sat in the cinema alone and watched it - it hardly set the world on fire.

Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:38 pm

zolderopruiming1 wrote:

make a prepurchase customer list.
if more than for example 100 people buy it all people who payed will get digital copies of every single EOT second in the archives.
im sure there are at least 100 fans who would prepay $500 for 12-14 hours of EOT.
$50 000+ is better money than the $0 they get for just storing the reels

Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:57 pm

If the Ford Focus take a drop in sales, perhaps the price should be jacked up to $299,000 ?

Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:03 pm

We will never see the complete outtakes from EOT.
Maybe there is a little chance we will see it on a nice bootleg-box, but I doubt it.
Sorry, but thats just how I think about it.

Grt. Michel.

::rocks

Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:08 pm

It's a big diference between TTWIS and EOT. the footage from EOT it's much larger. And if the all 4 filmed concerts plus the original film will be on 3 DVD-s, exactly like the Comeback Special the fans will be excited to see Elvis perform 4 full different concerts (San Antonio, Greensboro, Hampton Roads and Richmond). Even the 4 different jumpsuit Elvis wore on every of these shows are a good reason to buy the DVD's.

Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:13 pm

$500 per person (unit)? Not even remotely interested.

Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:53 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
Bodie wrote:If they would have released TTWII-SE properly then it would have made more money than it did.

Yes, but the 2 dvd version didn't sell well either, and that had bonus footage. What's more, we now often buy dvds of tv shows that only aired the previous week - the chances that it hurt sales that much is quite slim. As I have said before, I sat in the cinema alone and watched it - it hardly set the world on fire.

Thats because it wasn't promoted like it should have been.

When it first came out i thought it was fantastic but after several viewings you realise how bad the editing is in it.

Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:41 am

Then I wonder how 'lesser' acts (no disrespect intended) can 'afford' to keep putting out beautiful multiple DVD packages. Artists such as Deep Purple, Neil Young and others can put out regular and complete DVD packages for their fans, so there's no excuse regards cost, profit etc.[/quote]

You canĀ“t compare releases from other act with TTWII or EOT. These productions were top of the line stuff and shot with film and many cameras. A lot of stuff that is being released with other artist was shot on videotape or with one or a few cameras - low budget prductions. The cost for working with filmed footage is much higher than working with video.

Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:42 am

Michel wrote:We will never see the complete outtakes from EOT.
Maybe there is a little chance we will see it on a nice bootleg-box, but I doubt it.
Sorry, but thats just how I think about it.

I'm afraid you're spot on. I think I have a much better chance at winning the Power Ball Lotto jackpot.

Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:51 am

poormadpeter wrote:

Yes, but the 2 dvd version didn't sell well either, and that had bonus footage.

If you're talking about the 2 disc so-called "Special Edition" dvd below; the picture quality of the bonus footage included on that was a total waste of time and simply not worthy of an artist of Elvis' stature.
It's not rocket science why some things don't sell well.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:58 am

Hopefully the new owners of E.P.E. will see a need for more inventory and make an offer to Time Warner for the outtakes of TTWII and EOT. Something's got to give. E.P.E. can't live off of the Ed Sullivan, 68 Comeback and Aloha concerts forever. Their video production inventory is very limited. They will eventually have to find new material of high quality to put out to the consumers to keep revenue coming in. We could see Time-Warner license the material out to E.P.E. too for special projects. They have used unreleased outtakes not available to the public from the Time Warner vaults for the Elvis In Concert special anniversary concerts in the past.
Last edited by SuspiciousMind on Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:00 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:58 am

elvisalisellers wrote:If you're talking about the 2 disc so-called "Special Edition" dvd below; the picture quality of the bonus footage included on that was a total waste of time and simply not worthy of an artist of Elvis' stature.

There are bootlegs with much better quality footage than the bonus footage released by Warner. Perhaps it was just plain laziness or deliberate....either way, it was a real let down and a slap in the face to the fans.

Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:24 am

We can not turn back the clock but right from the start 1956 the whole Elvis business plan went wrong. Only the extreme highly talents and charisma that Elvis had sold his product. I mentioned this in another topic but how can they release a debut album with material from another label (Sun). The first album had to be filled new songs. I bet it sold even better when Heartbreak Hotel and I Was The One were added. The stupid rule not include singles was part of that. Another item was not letting him sing the songs Elvis wanted. Especially from up mid 60's till his dead the songs had to be bargained of public domain so Parker didn't had to pay to much for a song. Also publisher rights had something to do with that. And so is advertisement when have to promote you have to pay. When you wanna release music or film or film with music you have to pay. Right after Elvis' dead we were fooled with 10 old songs and 2 or even 1 unreleased track. Video and later dvd also were a disaster look at the Paramount dvd's most of them don't have sharp image and are grainy or blurry. No extra material except some trailers. I can't blame fans that they wait till some product is on the bargain or even go for cd and dvd-r's. When a product has the Elvis Presley name on it then the price goes up. Looking at the contains it's not always what people expected it would be. I don't buy a lot anymore but i will buy FTD products as long as it got something new. No 70's hits or so. But don't forget that we (especially the older fans) are dinosaurs. The younger people don't buy cd's or dvd's anymore. That's past it's over we live in the I-pod, mp3, or what ever download you can get. Music is a disposable product these days. So why should a record company produce expensive film with music for a very small amount of costumers? Beside hardcore Elvis fans only a few music lovers will buy it.
So i don't think we will ever see EOT in proper quality on dvd or blu-ray.
It's all about the money and not about a icon wearing a white, dark blue, light blue or red jumpsuits.
We have to live with that. The fact that Elvis made them millions and millions of dollars is not gonna change that.

Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:26 am

Indeed the bonus footage was a big laugh. Worse than the bootlegs doing the rounds. The fact that '68 and Aloha always sell well on DVD proves that there definitely is still a market for quality footage.
But this stinker of TTWII and last year the DVD/Blu Ray of On Tour with not one single minute of bonus footage AND Johnny B. Goode missing deservedly didn't sell well. Same with the bonus dvd on the PFAP box set, lousy quality and it shows in the sales figures.

I'm convinced that well done TTWII and On Tour box sets would sell like hot cakes. It's all about quality these days. Just the name Elvis Presley on a cover won't sell like it used to.

Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:47 am

voldto wrote:
zolderopruiming1 wrote:

make a prepurchase customer list.
if more than for example 100 people buy it all people who payed will get digital copies of every single EOT second in the archives.
im sure there are at least 100 fans who would prepay $500 for 12-14 hours of EOT.
$50 000+ is better money than the $0 they get for just storing the reels

It would cost more than that to transfer the footage to a digital medium, even without doing restoration.

Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:48 am

elvisalisellers wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:

Yes, but the 2 dvd version didn't sell well either, and that had bonus footage.

If you're talking about the 2 disc so-called "Special Edition" dvd below; the picture quality of the bonus footage included on that was a total waste of time and simply not worthy of an artist of Elvis' stature.

That's how the footage looks unrestored - which is what this thread is all about. You want to pay $500 for that kind of quality? of course not.

Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:40 am

Didn't they show the Elvis on Tour new DVD in limited theaters and grossed almost a million dollars if I remember correct. There must be some market out there.

Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:55 am

srovenstine wrote:Didn't they show the Elvis on Tour new DVD in limited theaters and grossed almost a million dollars if I remember correct. There must be some market out there.

Yes, but you need to remember that going to the cinema is a joint venture. Elvis fan goes to cinema with girlfriend/boyfriend, possibly the kids etc. So probably half of the people, at most, who went to the cinema to see the film would buy the dvd (ie, only one per household). And as I have shown on other threads, the restoration of footage etc would cost around $3 million for the kind of set that people have discussed (eg. a couple of concerts + rehearsal footage).

Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:15 am

This is the Goldmine

But the thing which concerns me a bit what i would like to talk about is the aspect ratio the footage was shot in

From what i understand stand it was a mixture of 4/3 aspect and 16/9 so they would have to blow the footage up.

Just look at the blu ray there is your proof.

Also i think i noticed something last night during the Airport scene maybe it's my eyes but a gun is getting taken out of the car and given to red west ?