Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Elvis in Concert at San Francisco 1961?

Fri Jan 09, 2015 11:57 am

Greetings from Switzerland! Yesterday after midnight while driving home in my car I listened to a radio special dedicated to Elvis Presley's 80th birthday.

Then all of a sudden, a 70 year old lady called into the broadcast and said, that she was living in the U.S. in 1961. As a fan club member in San Francisco she used to do sandwich advertisment for an Elvis show in San Francisco that same year.
As a reward they received first row tickets. She recalled being kissed by the singer, as sometime in the show he announced, that the first three girls who'd make it to the stage will get kissed. She made it along with a friend and said, that it was quite a small location.

So, that was new to me. Does anyone of you (experts, Doc, whoever) have any further information on this? She really claimed it was in 61 when she was 15 and said: I didn't wash my right cheek at that very spot where he kissed me for about two or three days ;-) ... after that radio station played "Kiss Me Quick"...As I tuned in a bit late I had no chance to hear if she mentioned the exact time of the year. But, did Elvis, by the way do a "rehearsal show" before flying off to Pearl Harbor?

Kind regards and thanks for any snippet of info.

Peter in Switzerland

Re: Elvis in Concert at San Francisco 1961?

Fri Jan 09, 2015 12:52 pm

This sounds like she's misremembering - There is no record of him rehearsing there. Obviously he did some rehearsing, but where? Where was he prior to the Hawaii gig? Filming "It Happened At The World's Fair"?

It all sounds a bit muddled up to me.

Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:15 pm

sitdown revamped wrote:Greetings from Switzerland! Yesterday after midnight while driving home in my car I listened to a radio special dedicated to Elvis Presley's 80th birthday.

Then all of a sudden, a 70 year old lady called into the broadcast and said, that she was living in the U.S. in 1961. As a fan club member in San Francisco she used to do sandwich advertisment for an Elvis show in San Francisco that same year.
As a reward they received first row tickets. She recalled being kissed by the singer, as sometime in the show he announced, that the first three girls who'd make it to the stage will get kissed. She made it along with a friend and said, that it was quite a small location.

So, that was new to me. Does anyone of you (experts, Doc, whoever) have any further information on this? She really claimed it was in 61 when she was 15 and said: I didn't wash my right cheek at that very spot where he kissed me for about two or three days ;-) ... after that radio station played "Kiss Me Quick"...As I tuned in a bit late I had no chance to hear if she mentioned the exact time of the year. But, did Elvis, by the way do a "rehearsal show" before flying off to Pearl Harbor?

Kind regards and thanks for any snippet of info.

Peter in Switzerland

Great story, although I've never heard it before. This lady misremembers her dates. If she is 70, this makes her 13 years old in October 1957, when Elvis played the Civic Center in San Francisco. He would not do another concert in the city until November 1970.

Elvis flew from Los Angeles to Honolulu on Saturday, March 25, 1961. He did a press conference that afternoon and a tremendous show that evening. It was a whirlwind week which began with rehearsals and sessions at Radio Recorders for Paramount's "Blue Hawaii" from March 20 (Mon) to March 23 (Thu). Any possible rehearsal would have taken place on March 24 (Fri) in Los Angeles.

John in California

Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:52 pm

Thank you, Doc. Too kind of you to complement the info. Yeah, I went with the feeling: was it in the 70s? But as she said she was a teenager back then '57 would be a saver bet. Wow...gotta look up the setlist of that show...Kind regards, Peter.

Fri Jan 09, 2015 10:55 pm

sitdown revamped wrote:Thank you, Doc. Too kind of you to complement the info. Yeah, I went with the feeling: was it in the 70s? But as she said she was a teenager back then '57 would be a saver bet. Wow...gotta look up the setlist of that show...Kind regards, Peter.

My pleasure! Note that in 1970 she would have been 26 years old. So the show she attended, if in San Francisco, was one of these:

10-26-1957 AS
10-26-1957 ES

Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:26 am

Thank you. I went to the Elvis Concert site. He surely has chosen from a pretty good bunch of material at the time. Don't know which show she attended, though. Fools Hall of Fame would have been my treat. For the first time I heard a Jailhouse Rock "stereo" or binaural recording while driving home. Great to hear itwhile driving at night. Elvis on the farther left with the drums and on the right side all the guitar work and piano. Kind regards, Peter.

Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:40 am

Off topic: did Elvis sang Jailhouse Rock live in the autumn of 1957?

Sat Jan 10, 2015 12:51 am

jurasic1968 wrote:Off topic: did Elvis sang Jailhouse Rock live in the autumn of 1957?

Check this out :wink: :

http://www.elvisconcerts.com/earlyconcerts/dboutput.php?search_month=search_month&search_day=search_day&search_year=search_year&search_city=search_city&search_state=search_state&search_jacket=search_jacket&search_shirt=search_shirt&search_trousers=search_trousers&search_song=Jailhouse+Rock&search_pics=search_pics

Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:07 am

Thanks, Mister Moon. How great performance was and how amazing was to see Elvis singing live in concert Jailhouse Rock in 1957!

Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:10 am

jurasic1968 wrote:Thanks, Mister Moon. How great performance was and how amazing was to see Elvis singing live in concert Jailhouse Rock in 1957!

You're welcome, and I agree, what a treat that must have been ! :)

Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:00 am

jurasic1968 wrote:Off topic: did Elvis sang Jailhouse Rock live in the autumn of 1957?

No, but he Elvis likely sang "Jailhouse Rock" at every fall show, eight total, in October and November 1957, along with "Treat Me Nice."

It was the new single and a huge hit, the A-side entering Billboard's Top 100 at #15 on October 14, and reaching #1 on November 4.

It made Cash Box Best Selling Singles at #50 on October 5, hitting #1 on November 9.

Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:17 am

Wish they'd have at least recorded this final '57 shows properly...whs it shortsighted management? Having heard Mahalia Jackson's Newport performance from 1958 RCA could have done a recording of the same quality by the time...what a waste and what loss historywise...but yes, Elvis was youth and pop culture...they realled missed it.

Sat Jan 10, 2015 3:02 pm

sitdown revamped wrote:Wish they'd have at least recorded this final '57 shows properly...whs it shortsighted management? Having heard Mahalia Jackson's Newport performance from 1958 RCA could have done a recording of the same quality by the time...what a waste and what loss historywise...but yes, Elvis was youth and pop culture...they realled missed it.

Yes, shortsighted management.

But i'm sure at least one was recorded, whether it was professionally or amateur, but whether one will turn up is another thing altogether. Considering Elvis was the biggest thing on the planet at the time i'm sure someone did have the foresight to record one. The fact that just recently footage as turned up of Elvis on stage in Hawaii 57 may bring some hope of audio turning up of one of his 57 gigs.

I'm still praying....