Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Did Elvis get preview tapes of the 68 special?

Wed Apr 02, 2014 12:48 am

He received tapes of what was proposed in the 77 CBS special but showed little interest as he was past caring by then. However, in June of 1968 he had produced some of the best material of his career. You would have thought that he would have liked some input in to what finally made the screen?

Re: Did Elvis get preview tapes of the 68 special?

Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:12 am

Delboy wrote:He received tapes of what was proposed in the 77 CBS special

Did he ?

Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:17 am

Delboy wrote:He received tapes of what was proposed in the 77 CBS special but showed little interest as he was past caring by then. However, in June of 1968 he had produced some of the best material of his career. You would have thought that he would have liked some input in to what finally made the screen?

I read he previewed the special with Steve Binder and told Steve he "loved it". I think this comes from Steve himself.

Wed Apr 02, 2014 1:38 am

There were no preview tapes available for home use in 1968.

Elvis did have a color 16mm kinescope of the final one hour show in his film library but I don't know when he received it.

Wed Apr 02, 2014 7:58 am

mike edwards66 wrote:

Did he ?

Yes he did. he gave them away to, Janelle McComb, saying "I have no use for them"

Wed Apr 02, 2014 8:07 am

mysterytrainrideson wrote:
Delboy wrote:He received tapes of what was proposed in the 77 CBS special but showed little interest as he was past caring by then. However, in June of 1968 he had produced some of the best material of his career. You would have thought that he would have liked some input in to what finally made the screen?

I read he previewed the special with Steve Binder and told Steve he "loved it". I think this comes from Steve himself.

That is correct. But it wasn't something he would have been able to approve or not, I'm pretty sure. It was done. He was "laughing in all the right spots, clapping . . ." Steve was very relieved and pleased that Elvis liked it. (But even if he didn't, I am sure it would have aired just as it was.)

But. Even though it was a very pleasant time had by both, Steve had something to tell Elvis after they watched it, and Elvis made a "promise" to Steve, based on what he had seen and experienced. "I will never make another film, or sing another song that I don't believe in." Sounded wonderful, right? Steve told him, bluntly: "I hear you, Elvis. But I don't think you're strong enough."

Wow.

So it came to be that in the early winter of 1969, Elvis Presley sang this song, which was released on his first studio album after the Special:

phpBB [video]

rjm

Wed Apr 02, 2014 9:30 am

IIRC, Steve Binder had Elvis come to NBC Burbank to look at a rough cut of the special. It would probably have been after Elvis returned from Arizona in early August, and location shooting for "Charro!" Sadly, management also saw the rough cut in August, and blew a gasket that there was not a single Christmas song in the program. After a series of threatening memos, Binder was forced to substitute "Blue Christmas" for "Tiger Man."

Wed Apr 02, 2014 11:30 am

Dan_T wrote:
mike edwards66 wrote:

Did he ?

Yes he did. he gave them away to, Janelle McComb, saying "I have no use for them"

Thanks. Where can that qoute be found ?