Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Article on Huff Post accusing Elvis of being racist:

Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:44 am

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/2 ... 36369.html

Re: Article on Huff Post accusing Elvis of being racist:

Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:16 am

It doesn't really accuse him of being racist. It's an article about people who have rightly or wrongly earned a reputation for being racist. Thankfully, the article does present the evidence to the contrary.

Re: Article on Huff Post accusing Elvis of being racist:

Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:54 am

No, but what is THE POINT of lumping people who were victims of false rumors with REAL racists?!

This is disconcerting! Elvis has a daughter and grandchildren. This was uncalled-for! Why repeat that thing he never said, only again to say he never said it?



rjm

Sent via mobile

Re: Article on Huff Post accusing Elvis of being racist:

Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:34 pm

Because they want people to share the article and they don't really give a damn about fairness or reputations.

Re: Article on Huff Post accusing Elvis of being racist:

Sat Mar 29, 2014 12:59 pm

The sad thing is that most people will only read the headline with Elvis' photo.

Re: Article on Huff Post accusing Elvis of being racist:

Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:38 pm

what can you say :(
Putting elvis on the list.
People are garbage

Re: Article on Huff Post accusing Elvis of being racist:

Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:58 pm

Here we go again :roll:

Re: Article on Huff Post accusing Elvis of being racist:

Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:38 pm

rjm wrote:No, but what is THE POINT of lumping people who were victims of false rumors with REAL racists?!

This is disconcerting! Elvis has a daughter and grandchildren. This was uncalled-for! Why repeat that thing he never said, only again to say he never said it?



rjm

Sent via mobile


Because that was the point of the article - to show that you shouldn't always believe what you read or are told. They expect people to read the article. The fact it was under the "black voices" section of the Huff Post suggests that the article was aimed at the black community, and therefore the article was being used to inform people that a lot of stuff that is regarded as "fact" about their history is actually not. It's hardly an article worthy of a Pulitzer, but it's a fair article and there's reason to assume that some people reading it might now have the record set straight. The introductory paragraphs state quite clearly what the article is setting out to and how it is going to do it. Providing facts are correct there is no reason why we should avoid awkward issues.

Re: Article on Huff Post accusing Elvis of being racist:

Sat Mar 29, 2014 7:35 pm

Rock Legend wrote:The sad thing is that most people will only read the headline with Elvis' photo.


That's true.

The less publicity for this kind of press, the better. We don't need this stuff, either.

I would vote for this thread to be deleted.

Re: Article on Huff Post accusing Elvis of being racist:

Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:24 pm

Mister Moon wrote:
Rock Legend wrote:The sad thing is that most people will only read the headline with Elvis' photo.


That's true.

The less publicity for this kind of press, the better. We don't need this stuff, either.

I would vote for this thread to be deleted
.


Just erase the things written about Elvis we don't like? Let's just turn into North Korea and be done with it!

Re: Article on Huff Post accusing Elvis of being racist:

Sat Mar 29, 2014 8:49 pm

No..just erase the lies!

Re: Article on Huff Post accusing Elvis of being racist:

Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:15 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
Mister Moon wrote:
Rock Legend wrote:The sad thing is that most people will only read the headline with Elvis' photo.


That's true.

The less publicity for this kind of press, the better. We don't need this stuff, either.

I would vote for this thread to be deleted
.


Just erase the things written about Elvis we don't like? Let's just turn into North Korea and be done with it!


I doubt anybody on this board is as strongly opposed to censorship as I am. I recently expressed my opinions on this issue in the thread about Elvis' strong language on records.

But another thing is to help propagate trashy media. We should be no fools, I think.

Let's not waste our precious time on this, please. :)

Re: Article on Huff Post accusing Elvis of being racist:

Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:37 pm

Fairchild1171 wrote:No..just erase the lies!


What lies? The article says Elvis was accused of being a racist, but he wasn't in real life. Where's the lie? Did you even read it?

Re: Article on Huff Post accusing Elvis of being racist:

Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:40 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
Fairchild1171 wrote:No..just erase the lies!


What lies? The article says Elvis was accused of being a racist, but he wasn't in real life. Where's the lie? Did you even read it?


I think the thread title is really throwing people off. They're just reading the title and flying into a rage. Just take a second to actually read the article; it's very short.

Maybe it would be a good idea to edit the title of this thread?

Re: Article on Huff Post accusing Elvis of being racist:

Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:02 pm

It's garbage. It by no means goes into the incredible generosity and how Elvis treated African-Americans his whole life, especially after he became famous.

Re: Article on Huff Post accusing Elvis of being racist:

Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:27 pm

Joe Car wrote:It's garbage. It by no means goes into the incredible generosity and how Elvis treated African-Americans his whole life, especially after he became famous.


It doesn't need to. It already rubbishes the claim that Elvis was racist:

Peter Guralnick vehemently defends Presley against the accusation. Guralnick points out that a rumor had persisted within the African-American community that, during an interview, the singer once said “The only thing Negroes can do for me is buy my records and shine my shoes.” However, he says Elvis vehemently denied that statement during an interview with Johnson Publishing Company's Jet magazine, saying anyone who knew him "would immediately recognize that he could never have uttered those words." Guralnick goes on to chronicle Presley's attendance as a teenager at the church of celebrated black gospel composer, the Rev. W. Herbert Brewster, as well as his friendship with and praise for black entertainers who paved the way like B.B. King, who he reportedly showed gratitude towards, saying “Thanks, man, for all the early lessons you gave me.”

Re: Article on Huff Post accusing Elvis of being racist:

Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:40 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
Fairchild1171 wrote:No..just erase the lies!


What lies? The article says Elvis was accused of being a racist, but he wasn't in real life. Where's the lie? Did you even read it?



Yeah I read it...now go back and read my post again...I didn't mention anything about THAT article...just lies in general. :facep:

Re: Article on Huff Post accusing Elvis of being racist:

Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:55 pm

Fairchild1171 wrote:No..just erase the lies!

great idea!
let´s just
delete,
erase,
censor,
burn
everything that is not true, according to you.

we had that in germany, according to someone else, about eighty years ago.
a lot of people liked it, few didn´t (but you never heard much of them).

Re: Article on Huff Post accusing Elvis of being racist:

Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:18 pm

InheritTheWind wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Fairchild1171 wrote:No..just erase the lies!


What lies? The article says Elvis was accused of being a racist, but he wasn't in real life. Where's the lie? Did you even read it?


I think the thread title is really throwing people off. They're just reading the title and flying into a rage. Just take a second to actually read the article; it's very short.

Maybe it would be a good idea to edit the title of this thread?


The title of the article itself, with photos, is the problem. Not the thread title.

"Five Historic Icons Who Had A Reputation For Being Racist"

That is the undifferentiated headline.

There is so much material on Web media today that people tend to scan rather than read. That's just a fact. It was an irresponsible piece.

People just do not read like they used to in the days of print. And that needs to always be considered by new media journalists.

People don't even eat nowadays; they "graze." One has to understand the context in which they are writing and editing. I am not saying Millennials have a shorter attention span, but life just moves at warp speed these days. And this was not a think-piece.

rjm

Re: Article on Huff Post accusing Elvis of being racist:

Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:22 pm

Christopher wrote:
Fairchild1171 wrote:No..just erase the lies!

great idea!
let´s just
delete,
erase,
censor,
burn
everything that is not true, according to you.

we had that in germany, according to someone else, about eighty years ago.
a lot of people liked it, few didn´t (but you never heard much of them).



Uh...Ok.

Re: Article on Huff Post accusing Elvis of being racist:

Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:26 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
Joe Car wrote:It's garbage. It by no means goes into the incredible generosity and how Elvis treated African-Americans his whole life, especially after he became famous.


It doesn't need to. It already rubbishes the claim that Elvis was racist:

Peter Guralnick vehemently defends Presley against the accusation. Guralnick points out that a rumor had persisted within the African-American community that, during an interview, the singer once said “The only thing Negroes can do for me is buy my records and shine my shoes.” However, he says Elvis vehemently denied that statement during an interview with Johnson Publishing Company's Jet magazine, saying anyone who knew him "would immediately recognize that he could never have uttered those words." Guralnick goes on to chronicle Presley's attendance as a teenager at the church of celebrated black gospel composer, the Rev. W. Herbert Brewster, as well as his friendship with and praise for black entertainers who paved the way like B.B. King, who he reportedly showed gratitude towards, saying “Thanks, man, for all the early lessons you gave me.”


I understand that, but had they delved deeper into his life history, they could have give indisputable proof about the way he treated African-Americans. Not everybody knows who Peter Guralnick is, but they can understand the positive stories, such as buying his maid a home, stuff like that.

Re: Article on Huff Post accusing Elvis of being racist:

Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:30 pm

rjm wrote:
InheritTheWind wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
Fairchild1171 wrote:No..just erase the lies!


What lies? The article says Elvis was accused of being a racist, but he wasn't in real life. Where's the lie? Did you even read it?


I think the thread title is really throwing people off. They're just reading the title and flying into a rage. Just take a second to actually read the article; it's very short.

Maybe it would be a good idea to edit the title of this thread?


The title of the article itself, with photos, is the problem. Not the thread title.

"Five Historic Icons Who Had A Reputation For Being Racist"

That is the undifferentiated headline.

There is so much material on Web media today that people tend to scan rather than read. That's just a fact. It was an irresponsible piece.

People just do not read like they used to in the days of print. And that needs to always be considered by new media journalists.

People don't even eat nowadays; they "graze." One has to understand the context in which they are writing and editing. I am not saying Millennials have a shorter attention span, but life just moves at warp speed these days. And this was not a think-piece.

rjm


Good lord! I think a few here are overreacting just a bit. The article is titled "Five Historic Icons Who Had A Reputation For Being Racist." It's not titled "Five Historic Icons Who Were Racist." It just lists five people who had a reputation for being racist. I think the article clearly debunks the infamous quote that was attributed to Elvis. It even mentions the fact that Chuck D rescinded the statement that he made in "Fight The Power." I'm not really sure what the problem is here. :?

Re: Article on Huff Post accusing Elvis of being racist:

Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:32 pm

There needed to be two separate articles. One about real historical racists like Ty Cobb, etc. And a different article about those who were victims of false rumors.

rjm

Sent via mobile

Re: Article on Huff Post accusing Elvis of being racist:

Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:35 pm

Fairchild1171 wrote:
Christopher wrote:
Fairchild1171 wrote:No..just erase the lies!

great idea!
let´s just
delete,
erase,
censor,
burn
everything that is not true, according to you.

we had that in germany, according to someone else, about eighty years ago.
a lot of people liked it, few didn´t (but you never heard much of them).



Uh...Ok.

didn´t mean to attack you, fairchild,
just wanted to say truth lies always in the eye of the beholder.
just think of the opinions about "elvis-what happened?" right here on this board.
some say, sonny, red and dave just did it for revenge and for nothing else. it is their truth.
others say, they did it to help him. it is their truth.
which truth should we erase now?

Re: Article on Huff Post accusing Elvis of being racist:

Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:40 pm

Christopher wrote:just wanted to say truth lies always in the eye of the beholder.
just think of the opinions about "elvis-what happened?" right here on this board.
some say, sonny, red and dave just did it for revenge and for nothing else. it is their truth.
others say, they did it to help him. it is their truth.
which truth should we erase now?


Christopher, I can see your point, but one thing is to "erase" opinions and another thing is to "erase" lies.

Elvis Presley was not a racist. Period. No further discussions (articles, whatever...) needed.