Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: From Hawaii to Las Vegas FTD mastered 5% too slow.

Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:22 am

Rob wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:Are you happy about buying a CD mastered at the wrong speed, Rob?

I never really gave it much thought, Pete.

I get these recordings because I get enjoyment out of Elvis Presley. If I happen to obtain an audience recording that is of bad quality, or a soundboard show that is the same, or even a rehearsal that is the wrong speed, I'm not particularly fond of it, no. However, I also know that much of this material was never meant to be heard by a hardcore Elvis fan / CD collector like me anyway. That alone makes me glad to hear it anyway that I can. As a fan at the level that I am, I would much rather hear this mastered a little too slow than to never hear it at all. I do not dissect these releases like so many others here do. I appreciate having had the chance to hear them. I am fortunate enough that I don't have to come close to picking and choosing various CD releases, so maybe that's where I don't agree when others complain. However, I am as much of a fan here as anyone and I remember 30+ years ago when I would have pushed an old lady in a wheelchair in front of a freight train to get this same material that is so easily accessible now. I enjoy what I can get and never take it for granted. Many here do not know what it was like in those days and are spoiled because FTD soundboards and great sounding boot CDs are all they've ever known. I'm from the old school and never take any of this material for granted. It makes me shake my head to hear all of this moaning about 5% too slow, this mix sucks, etc. Man, just enjoy the releases because someday it will all be over.

I really pity some on here who cannot just sit back and enjoy the recordings the way I do. They are really missing out on some great material. Damn the 5% too slow BS. You were never meant to hear it anyway.

Well said brother from a different mother! I fully agree. Your comments ring true. STFU people and "sit back, relax and leave the driving to us" as a wise man once said.

Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:29 am

The collector base needs to care about production quality - if there are only low standards of expectation from the fans, then low production values is what we will receive.

Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:30 am

Rob wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:Are you happy about buying a CD mastered at the wrong speed, Rob?

I never really gave it much thought, Pete.

I get these recordings because I get enjoyment out of Elvis Presley. If I happen to obtain an audience recording that is of bad quality, or a soundboard show that is the same, or even a rehearsal that is the wrong speed, I'm not particularly fond of it, no. However, I also know that much of this material was never meant to be heard by a hardcore Elvis fan / CD collector like me anyway. That alone makes me glad to hear it anyway that I can. As a fan at the level that I am, I would much rather hear this mastered a little too slow than to never hear it at all. I do not dissect these releases like so many others here do. I appreciate having had the chance to hear them. I am fortunate enough that I don't have to come close to picking and choosing various CD releases, so maybe that's where I don't agree when others complain. However, I am as much of a fan here as anyone and I remember 30+ years ago when I would have pushed an old lady in a wheelchair in front of a freight train to get this same material that is so easily accessible now. I enjoy what I can get and never take it for granted. Many here do not know what it was like in those days and are spoiled because FTD soundboards and great sounding boot CDs are all they've ever known. I'm from the old school and never take any of this material for granted. It makes me shake my head to hear all of this moaning about 5% too slow, this mix sucks, etc. Man, just enjoy the releases because someday it will all be over.

I really pity some on here who cannot just sit back and enjoy the recordings the way I do. They are really missing out on some great material. Damn the 5% too slow BS. You were never meant to hear it anyway.

Well said, Rob!

rlj

Sun Dec 02, 2012 6:48 am

Matthew wrote:The collector base needs to care about production quality - if there are only low standards of expectation from the fans, then low production values is what we will receive.

We do care about production quality. You imply that there are low standards of expectation from the fans, and as a result we get low production values. You are dead wrong Matthew. FTD has been great for the fans. Is there room for improvement in some cases? Yes. However, overall the releases we have had in the last 15 years have been welcome and well received. Thank God Ernst and Roger continue to march forward and release new product for fans to continue to enjoy, 35 + years after Elvis' death.
Last edited by paulsweeney on Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:20 am

paulsweeney wrote:We do care about production quality. You imply that there are low standards of expectation from the fans, and as a result we get low production values. You are dead wrong Matthew.

No, I am saying that if the fan-base does not care about silly mastering and production errors, why should anyone else? In that, I am quite right. There are many here implying that we should be thankful for each and every release, warts and all, without complaint - regardless of problems like tapes playing too slow to present the recordings correctly. That, is cause for concern.

Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:36 am

they will sell it to us again in 10yrs w. the corrected speed as new improved sound and artwork... oh those crazy elvis fans!

JEFF d
EP fan

Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:06 am

I played Spring Tours recently and noticed a horrible buzz on the Ann Arbor Unchained Melody and Help Me. There's no reason bootlegs should sound better. I love FTD but the sound flaws are serious in some cases. It shouldn't happen on any release, but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy pretty much every FTD on at least one level. It just should be corrected with replacement issues coming free to all all who send the faulty ones back. Cost limits or not RCA should sound better than boots.

Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:23 am

I for one am tired of having to do speed corrections and other repairs to things I've paid good money for.

It was annoying in the bootleg days of "More Pure Elvis" but FTD should be better than that.

Did you notice that regarding the PFAP release they said they had to speed up the film to match the sound? If they had instead slowed the sound to match the film then that release would have been well worth its money. Instead we get both at the wrong speed. Very disappointing.

Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:28 am

dannyboy1 wrote:Did you notice that regarding the PFAP release they said they had to speed up the film to match the sound? If they had instead slowed the sound to match the film then that release would have been well worth its money. Instead we get both at the wrong speed. Very disappointing.

Ay?

Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:03 am

Matthew wrote:
paulsweeney wrote:We do care about production quality. You imply that there are low standards of expectation from the fans, and as a result we get low production values. You are dead wrong Matthew.

No, I am saying that if the fan-base does not care about silly mastering and production errors, why should anyone else? In that, I am quite right. There are many here implying that we should be thankful for each and every release, warts and all, without complaint - regardless of problems like tapes playing too slow to present the recordings correctly. That, is cause for concern.

As a relatively long- time fan ( since the mid-'70s) and occasionally burned by RCA even back then. I see where Matthew and 'Peter are coming from. I have all the FTDs ( save 2 recent books and some new ones
on order )and I often take the long view of Rob and others. FTD has been a godsend for long-starved fans and that it finally launched in '99 remains just amazing when I recall the slow drip of tracks in the RCA Joan Deary
Era.

That said, it's often obvious that some discs are barely reviewed before release. Usually this isn't a factor but just enough to betray what can only be seen as,yes, a carelessness. At deluxe prices , this means the label has quality control issues, albeit "relatively rarely" - whatever that may mean to the fan who works hard to save and keep up with the mostly-wonderful FTD catalogue.

It would seem the
largely one-man fan / specialty label should expand to include a Matthew or Mike S. (any good fan) to
critically review titles - in advance! These are fair complaints, not the more mindless criticisms we sometimes here about FTD - and ever there was a forum to air them, this must be the place.

Sun Dec 02, 2012 9:45 am

It was an unfortunate and avoidable screw up. Also a little surprising, as you would think that the nature of the recording would make a speed check a no brainer. I've been meaning to do the speed correction since I first listened to it.

Ernst has done great things and I do appreciate his work, but of course issues like this should be flagged up by fans when noticed.

Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:18 am

Matthew wrote:

No, I am saying that if the fan-base does not care about silly mastering and production errors, why should anyone else? In that, I am quite right. There are many here implying that we should be thankful for each and every release, warts and all, without complaint ...

Talk about "straw man" bullshit! Not one person has implied anything remotely close to this.

The bottom line is very simple, and some clearly get it. I will state it one more time, with your example:

As a deep Elvis fan with a very long memory of some very fallow years from RCA, it is irksome to note 91% of your posts bitching about 9% of FTD releases, while maybe 9% of your comments praise the 91% that have brightened our lives since the label began in 1999.

It's not that some of your comments are without merit, it's the ramped-up rhetoric that ignores the big-picture view of the label and its history that is repugnant.

Perspective -- try it sometime.

Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:25 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:it is irksome to note 91% of your posts bitching about 9% of FTD releases, while maybe 9% of your comments praise the 91% that have brightened our lives since the label began in 1999.

Been working that calculator again? Did you keep the receipt? You do my history an injustice with such false assertions.

Your hyperbole here is irksome, but your offence on behalf of the label is nobel - that's something at least.

Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:33 am

As for FTD's like So High and Easter Special I guess the errors have been corrected within the classic series where most of those songs are included, or will be included in future projects.
I must admit that if it wasn't commented on this board, there are errors I wouldn't have notice myself. Thus not that important enough to ruin my listening experience.
When it comes to soundboards, audience recordings and cassette tapes I know I'm gettinig substandard recordings. As such I don't expect anything, really! Mastering errors or whatever, I couldn't care less.
It's almost like trying to fix a broken mirror and pretend it's like brand new! But, as a fan I collect every single FTD that comes out because there might be a hidden highlight in there. And for the most part, there has been.
Beeing brought up listening to crackling 45's and LP's it somehow becomes like pissholes in the snow pickin' on details in more than 40 or 50 year old recordings.
In the end maybe FTD comes up with a compilation titled: The Complete Errors Corrected Collection. Try to have a happy in between folks! :)

Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:36 am

dannyboy1 wrote:Did you notice that regarding the PFAP release they said they had to speed up the film to match the sound? If they had instead slowed the sound to match the film then that release would have been well worth its money. Instead we get both at the wrong speed. Very disappointing.

phpBB [video]

Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:44 am

with FTD, Bootlegs, written reviews articles etc.. EVERYONE SHOULD AIM to be 100% perfect..... but Geez that is so difficult to achieve eh/ and (i guess) FTD suffers from mistakes just like the rest of us eh??

Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:52 am

YDKM wrote:with FTD, Bootlegs, written reviews articles etc.. EVERYONE SHOULD AIM to be 100% perfect..... but Geez that is so difficult to achieve eh/ and (i guess) FTD suffers from mistakes just like the rest of us eh??

But we're not charging Ernst or SONY anything for our mistakes... eh?

Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:56 pm

Blue River wrote:But we're not charging Ernst or SONY anything for our mistakes... eh?

Suggestion: stop buying anything by a label that charges you for their mistakes.

Start the FTD boycott now: skip these upcoming titles, they'll get the message!

Back In Memphis (Classic Album)
3000 South Paradise Road (8-12-1972 DS + 8-1972 rehearsal)
G.I. Blues (Double LPl)

Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:03 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Blue River wrote:But we're not charging Ernst or SONY anything for our mistakes... eh?

Suggestion: stop buying anything by a label that charges you for their mistakes.

G.I. Blues (Double LPl)

I agree! Especially 3000 South Paradise Road is a potential, major let down! I'll get for what it is! Not for moaning over it if I don't like it. So, for those who may be sceptical. Wait until you read about how bad or good it is. Save your money and sleep well at night! :)

Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:19 pm

bajo wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

G.I. Blues (Double LPl)

I agree! Especially 3000 South Paradise Road is a potential, major let down! I'll get for what it is! Not for moaning over it if I don't like it. So, for those who may be sceptical. Wait until you read about how bad or good it is. Save your money and sleep well at night! :)

Now yer talkin', baby!!

Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:20 pm

rlj4ep wrote:As an Elvis fan, I don't have the time to sit around and notice such things. "Glitches," what some call errors, are just what they are, momentary glithes. If this upsets a purchaser, then don't buy the product. Perhaps on the Hawaii/Vegas release someone certainly should have noted the slower speed, I suppose. But the typos and other glitches seems rather insignificant to me. I listen to the CD, if I like it I revisit it again. I am just grateful that FTD takes the time and money and to make these gems available to the Elvis fans. With all of the negative complaining I hope FTD remembers that there are fans who appreciate all that they are doing. I focus on the great releases they are giving us, which in the case of many of them, we would not have were it not for FTD. I appreciate all of the time and investment FTD is making. FTD shows they care in the case of "So High" and "Fool" as they did correct the error by providing us with a replecement CD.

rlj

Nice post.

Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:23 pm

Let us hope they've checked the rehearsal tape speed this time around, hey fellas!

Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:29 pm

Matthew wrote:Let us hope they've checked the rehearsal tape speed this time around, hey fellas!

Maybe you can light a candle. ;-)

Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:44 pm

Chad Gates wrote:
Tony.. wrote:According to a contributor in the latest "Elvis the man & his music" magazine, the recent FTD rehearsal release runs 5% too slow. He blames Lene Reidel for this latest cock up. Anyone know what went wrong this time? :o

Looking on the bright side you got 5% extra running time for free :D :P .

Alan.

So you are saying that these mistakes are not important to you when spending £20 on a poor quality to start with cassette tape transfer?

Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:55 pm

Tony.. wrote:So you are saying that these mistakes are not important to you when spending £20 on a poor quality to start with cassette tape transfer?

G.I. Blues (Double LPl)