Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: From Hawaii to Las Vegas FTD mastered 5% too slow.

Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:03 pm

rockinrebel wrote:As the earlier recording is listed as a bonus track, I don’t think this can really be classed as an error. My feeling is that as the “Elvis In Concert” recordings have not been re-mastered, the single version of “My Way” was omitted due to sound quality issues.

So when the same incorrect April 25, 1977 version of My Way happened to turn up on Hitstory, are you suggesting Sony were being purposely mendacious, when the liner notes stated it was recorded on June 21, 1977?
Last edited by elvisalisellers on Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: From Hawaii to Las Vegas FTD mastered 5% too slow.

Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:15 pm

elvisalisellers wrote:
rockinrebel wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:As the earlier recording is listed as a bonus track, I don’t think this can really be classed as an error. My feeling is that as the “Elvis In Concert” recordings have not been re-mastered, the single version of “My Way” was omitted due to sound quality issues.

So when the same incorrect April 25, 1977 version of My Way happened to turn up on Hitstory, are you suggesting Sony were being purposely mendacious, when the liner notes stated it was recorded on June 21, 1977?


Please could you re-edit the above - they are not my words, but Rockin Rebels

Re: From Hawaii to Las Vegas FTD mastered 5% too slow.

Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:21 pm

I think the real reason is time constraints.
They put so much out, that they dont' even take the time
to listen to it, or proof read to see if there are errors.

If they did find anything, then it's a lot of work to fix it.

All labor hours.

So if they don't get it right the first time, it goes to press anyway.

And hope no one notices.
(like that's gonna happen)

Most of the mistakes are quite obvious, so it is a mystery why they happen and are
released in that form. The only reason I can think of is the time/cost factor to
re-do it.

Re: From Hawaii to Las Vegas FTD mastered 5% too slow.

Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:23 pm

ekenee wrote:I think the real reason is time constraints.
They put so much out, that they dont' even take the time
to listen to it, or proof read to see if there are errors.

If they did find anything, then it's a lot of work to fix it.

All labor hours.

So if they don't get it right the first time, it goes to press anyway.

And hope no one notices.
(like that's gonna happen)

Most of the mistakes are quite obvious, so it is a mystery why they happen and are
released in that form. The only reason I can think of is the time/cost factor to
re-do it.


I think you are right, but that's still no excuse. We view FTD as "run by a fan", but its a fan who is happy to release items that has a really quite major error in this case.

Re: From Hawaii to Las Vegas FTD mastered 5% too slow.

Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:28 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
ekenee wrote:I think the real reason is time constraints.
They put so much out, that they dont' even take the time
to listen to it, or proof read to see if there are errors.

If they did find anything, then it's a lot of work to fix it.

All labor hours.

So if they don't get it right the first time, it goes to press anyway.

And hope no one notices.
(like that's gonna happen)

Most of the mistakes are quite obvious, so it is a mystery why they happen and are
released in that form. The only reason I can think of is the time/cost factor to
re-do it.


I think you are right, but that's still no excuse. We view FTD as "run by a fan", but its a fan who is happy to release items that has a really quite major error in this case.


Maybe they'd better stop alltogether?

Re: From Hawaii to Las Vegas FTD mastered 5% too slow.

Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:28 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
ekenee wrote:I think the real reason is time constraints.
They put so much out, that they dont' even take the time
to listen to it, or proof read to see if there are errors.

If they did find anything, then it's a lot of work to fix it.

All labor hours.

So if they don't get it right the first time, it goes to press anyway.

And hope no one notices.
(like that's gonna happen)

Most of the mistakes are quite obvious, so it is a mystery why they happen and are
released in that form. The only reason I can think of is the time/cost factor to
re-do it.


I think you are right, but that's still no excuse. We view FTD as "run by a fan", but its a fan who is happy to release items that has a really quite major error in this case.


Oh I know it's no excuse.

I would rather Ernst release 4 or 5 less FTD's a year and get them all correct.

Ernst has worked on as many as 12 projects in any given year.

That is alot.

He has worked on books, FTD's, FTD's with books, the main label stuff.

I am sure he is under dead lines, and sometimes he misses stuff that are completely obvious
to the rest of us.

Re: From Hawaii to Las Vegas FTD mastered 5% too slow.

Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:38 pm

ekenee wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:
ekenee wrote:I think the real reason is time constraints.
They put so much out, that they dont' even take the time
to listen to it, or proof read to see if there are errors.

If they did find anything, then it's a lot of work to fix it.

All labor hours.

So if they don't get it right the first time, it goes to press anyway.

And hope no one notices.
(like that's gonna happen)

Most of the mistakes are quite obvious, so it is a mystery why they happen and are
released in that form. The only reason I can think of is the time/cost factor to
re-do it.


I think you are right, but that's still no excuse. We view FTD as "run by a fan", but its a fan who is happy to release items that has a really quite major error in this case.


Oh I know it's no excuse.

I would rather Ernst release 4 or 5 less FTD's a year and get them all correct.

Ernst has worked on as many as 12 projects in any given year.

That is alot.

He has worked on books, FTD's, FTD's with books, the main label stuff.

I am sure he is under dead lines, and sometimes he misses stuff that are completely obvious
to the rest of us.


What worries me more than anything are the CDs with obvious faults. A worker at Sony who didn't knwo the music in question might well miss the 5% speed issue on this current disc if he was just checking it for faults. But how do mastering errors, technical glitches and faulty batches get through the quality control - they are obvious for all to hear, Elvis fan or not.

Re: From Hawaii to Las Vegas FTD mastered 5% too slow.

Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:46 pm

As an Elvis fan, I don't have the time to sit around and notice such things. "Glitches," what some call errors, are just what they are, momentary glithes. If this upsets a purchaser, then don't buy the product. Perhaps on the Hawaii/Vegas release someone certainly should have noted the slower speed, I suppose. But the typos and other glitches seems rather insignificant to me. I listen to the CD, if I like it I revisit it again. I am just grateful that FTD takes the time and money and to make these gems available to the Elvis fans. With all of the negative complaining I hope FTD remembers that there are fans who appreciate all that they are doing. I focus on the great releases they are giving us, which in the case of many of them, we would not have were it not for FTD. I appreciate all of the time and investment FTD is making. FTD shows they care in the case of "So High" and "Fool" as they did correct the error by providing us with a replecement CD.

rlj

Re: From Hawaii to Las Vegas FTD mastered 5% too slow.

Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:09 pm

To be honest I found the sound quality of the rehearsal so bad and Elvis so uninspired that I only listened to it once, and never noticed a 5% too slow.
I'm still glad FTD releases all this rare material for us, I remember the Eighties all too well and welcome each new release.

Re: From Hawaii to Las Vegas FTD mastered 5% too slow.

Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:22 pm

Well listed and said Matthew....all those 'errors' WERE NOTED after each release came out in the disscussion about them. ekenee also makes good points too,... but again as to 'correct speed' does ANYONE bother to actually LISTEN to the product b4 it is put out??? is their much quality control or is every thing just done on the cheap- hence using Lebe Reidel? :?

Re: From Hawaii to Las Vegas FTD mastered 5% too slow.

Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:30 pm

Simon1 wrote:To be honest I found the sound quality of the rehearsal so bad and Elvis so uninspired that I only listened to it once, and never noticed a 5% too slow.
I'm still glad FTD releases all this rare material for us, I remember the Eighties all too well and welcome each new release.


He might sound considerably more awake if he wasn't at the wrong speed!

Re: From Hawaii to Las Vegas FTD mastered 5% too slow.

Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:40 pm

poormadpeter, when will your exclusive interview with Ernst be posted?? :roll: :lol:

Re: From Hawaii to Las Vegas FTD mastered 5% too slow.

Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:41 pm

sweetangeline wrote:poormadpeter, when will your exclusive interview with Ernst be posted?? :roll: :lol:


when will your smug posts stop being posted?

Re: From Hawaii to Las Vegas FTD mastered 5% too slow.

Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:47 pm

poormadpeter wrote:when will your smug posts stop being posted?


when you admit that 91% is not a bad track record, if you brought those marks home from school (key word "if") were you severely punished?? :lol:

Re: From Hawaii to Las Vegas FTD mastered 5% too slow.

Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:18 pm

sweetangeline wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:when will your smug posts stop being posted?


when you admit that 91% is not a bad track record, if you brought those marks home from school (key word "if") were you severely punished?? :lol:


But I would do my school work for no payment and for myself. I wouldn't ask people £20 a throw to read my essays, now would I?

We are in a very sad (and desperate) state of affairs when we are unwilling to admit that 9% of releases having faults or errors is acceptable just because we are basically scared of FTD stopping. I have seven or eight FTD releases that have faults or errors - I don't know of a single CD I own outside of Elvis releases that have a mastering error or a technical glitch. What I'm saying is a 9% failure to present goods without errors is neither "normal" nor acceptable.

Complaints won't stop the release of FTD products - the only thing that will stop them will be a drying up of material or a lack of profit.

Re: From Hawaii to Las Vegas FTD mastered 5% too slow.

Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:18 am

poormadpeter wrote:We are in a very sad (and desperate) state of affairs when we are unwilling to admit that 9% of releases having faults or errors is acceptable just because we are basically scared of FTD stopping. I have seven or eight FTD releases that have faults or errors - I don't know of a single CD I own outside of Elvis releases that have a mastering error or a technical glitch. What I'm saying is a 9% failure to present goods without errors is neither "normal" nor acceptable.
Complaints won't stop the release of FTD products - the only thing that will stop them will be a drying up of material or a lack of profit.


I still celebrate every new FTD, with exception of HOT70s. Technical issues are very annoying and bad but I lived through the 80s with all the masters recycled over and over again on endless compilations. I do not wish to excuse FTD but I am still quite happy that we are able to explore all this previously unreleased material. And since it might end within 5 years from now I do not let the 10% issue margin bother me too much... We are desparate indeed :smt002

Re: From Hawaii to Las Vegas FTD mastered 5% too slow.

Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:46 am

I noticed that as soon as I got the CD:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=70643&p=1055552#p1055552

Re: From Hawaii to Las Vegas FTD mastered 5% too slow.

Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:01 am

Rob wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:Are you happy about buying a CD mastered at the wrong speed, Rob?

I never really gave it much thought, Pete.

I get these recordings because I get enjoyment out of Elvis Presley. If I happen to obtain an audience recording that is of bad quality, or a soundboard show that is the same, or even a rehearsal that is the wrong speed, I'm not particularly fond of it, no. However, I also know that much of this material was never meant to be heard by a hardcore Elvis fan / CD collector like me anyway. That alone makes me glad to hear it anyway that I can. As a fan at the level that I am, I would much rather hear this mastered a little too slow than to never hear it at all. I do not dissect these releases like so many others here do. I appreciate having had the chance to hear them. I am fortunate enough that I don't have to come close to picking and choosing various CD releases, so maybe that's where I don't agree when others complain. However, I am as much of a fan here as anyone and I remember 30+ years ago when I would have pushed an old lady in a wheelchair in front of a freight train to get this same material that is so easily accessible now. I enjoy what I can get and never take it for granted. Many here do not know what it was like in those days and are spoiled because FTD soundboards and great sounding boot CDs are all they've ever known. I'm from the old school and never take any of this material for granted. It makes me shake my head to hear all of this moaning about 5% too slow, this mix sucks, etc. Man, just enjoy the releases because someday it will all be over.

I really pity some on here who cannot just sit back and enjoy the recordings the way I do. They are really missing out on some great material. Damn the 5% too slow BS. You were never meant to hear it anyway.

+ 1

Re: From Hawaii to Las Vegas FTD mastered 5% too slow.

Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:35 am

People have a right to discuss such matters. The question here is not that people are after FTD with pitchforks and torches; rather, they are discussing why such simple issues weren't noticed and corrected before a release which costs more than an usual retail release was out there for people. The question is not if one enjoys such release or ain't able to do so - I think that the discussion at hand is about the problems which are there, buy it or not, enjoy it or not - and it may feel worse if you choose to buy it as it isn't cheap.

So the logic is that if you don't own such release, the problem is not there? Fantastic stuff.

I am very grateful for everything people have done for us along the years, like Ernst, the Venus label and so on. But I have to sigh when people are making it such a serious matter about trying to dismiss certain things. Members like Peter and Matthew have been very valuable to this place and are part of the few who can still THINK and consider things before hitting the "reply" button - not moved by agendas. I respect all of the members who have been part of this thread, but there's absolutely no reason for the fights over opinion and rights... Matthew and Peter have a point. You can disagree, of course - thankfully we are free, aren't we? But to dismiss such points because of your personal belief or even an agenda... Seriously, think about it. No need to be around then. This isn't a friggin' communist dictatorship. That's a waste of bandwidth. The point isn't that they aren't able to enjoy FTD. The point is that they enjoy FTD enough to wonder why such things happen when they are easily noticeable - it's a very nice label and surely everyone would want it to be as perfect as possible and for it to consider such matters.

Re: From Hawaii to Las Vegas FTD mastered 5% too slow.

Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:40 am

I burned the disc at the right speed today but I cant see me playing it more anyway............sound quality isnt good enough.. .........for me.

Re: From Hawaii to Las Vegas FTD mastered 5% too slow.

Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:48 am

KingElvis wrote:I burned the disc at the right speed today but I cant see me playing it more anyway............sound quality isnt good enough.. .........for me.


I think that's actually part of the point presented by Matthew and Peter: it's such a simple thing that even ourselves are able to notice and correct it at home. Still we find it acceptable for a brand new (paid) FTD. It's a valid point.

Re: From Hawaii to Las Vegas FTD mastered 5% too slow.

Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:17 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:I haven't got around to buying this FTD as yet, but not sure I will bother considering these issues. Another one to add to the list of FTD errors!

There are about 117 titles from the Follow That Dream label since 1999, including several books. Do the math. It is an unprecedented run of fan-minded, non-primary releases, given an artist as famous and successful as Elvis Presley.

Please share with us your list of "errors," so we may learn how many great Presley performances you do not own! ;-)



+1

Re: From Hawaii to Las Vegas FTD mastered 5% too slow.

Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:20 am

Matthew wrote:What did I tell ya folks!

::rocks

Always the same isn't it? You answer a straightforward question and then you get lambasted for it!

Cheers, Piers

Re: From Hawaii to Las Vegas FTD mastered 5% too slow.

Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:41 am

1) 91% of titles are not error free.*
2) 86% of titles are not without fault.*
3) The notion that we should turn a blind eye to errors and faults because of all the praiseworthy titles is a flawed mentality.
4) The notion that you have to own something in order to have a view on it is flawed - otherwise all of us (! - ahem) who complained about Elvis On Tour and Johnny B. Goode, and refrained from buying the Blu-Ray/DVD on principle, voicing our complaint I guess should not have done.

*such straw-man arguing is amusing, but utterly light on foundation.

A tape running much too slow such that the key of all songs shifts down a half-step is a rookie error, and actually doesn't serve Elvis well, since it's a significant contributor to the notion that he's tired and lacking in energy. You'd sound that way too if you were recorded and then played back slower.

Look, FTD overall has a neat track-record but the reality is a cluster of the errors on their record stem from the last 2 years, which is cause for concern. And we're talking production errors, not errors of judgement! :wink:

Re: From Hawaii to Las Vegas FTD mastered 5% too slow.

Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:45 am

billyblues wrote:People have a right to discuss such matters. The question here is not that people are after FTD with pitchforks and torches; rather, they are discussing why such simple issues weren't noticed and corrected before a release which costs more than an usual retail release was out there for people. The question is not if one enjoys such release or ain't able to do so - I think that the discussion at hand is about the problems which are there, buy it or not, enjoy it or not - and it may feel worse if you choose to buy it as it isn't cheap.

So the logic is that if you don't own such release, the problem is not there? Fantastic stuff.

I am very grateful for everything people have done for us along the years, like Ernst, the Venus label and so on. But I have to sigh when people are making it such a serious matter about trying to dismiss certain things. Members like Peter and Matthew have been very valuable to this place and are part of the few who can still THINK and consider things before hitting the "reply" button - not moved by agendas. I respect all of the members who have been part of this thread, but there's absolutely no reason for the fights over opinion and rights... Matthew and Peter have a point. You can disagree, of course - thankfully we are free, aren't we? But to dismiss such points because of your personal belief or even an agenda... Seriously, think about it. No need to be around then. This isn't a friggin' communist dictatorship. That's a waste of bandwidth. The point isn't that they aren't able to enjoy FTD. The point is that they enjoy FTD enough to wonder why such things happen when they are easily noticeable - it's a very nice label and surely everyone would want it to be as perfect as possible and for it to consider such matters.


Thank you for the kind words, Billy - and the sense!