From Hawaii to Las Vegas FTD mastered 5% too slow.

Anything about Elvis
More than 100 Million visitors can't be wrong

Moderators: Moderator5, Moderator3, FECC-Moderator, Site Mechanic

Matthew

Re: From Hawaii to Las Vegas FTD mastered 5% too slow.

Post by Matthew »

poormadpeter wrote:I'd like to ask the Doc a question.

If you went on to Amazon and bought an official EMI CD of outtakes from the Beatles Abbey Road sessions, and found out that it was mastered 5% too slow, would you be happy with the release?

A yes or no answer will suffice
Furthermore - if you learned of such a problem, and refrained from buying the item, are you allowed to voice your frustrations about the product?

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

When In Rome wrote:I can't seem to remember many of the mass market Elvis releases having as many, if any, errors...
Quite true, though - even the mammoth Complete Masters set suffered from a mastering glitch on Promised Land (of all songs!) and that was quietly dismissed.

elvisalisellers

Post by elvisalisellers »

When In Rome wrote:Here's a few more errors fans...
The stereo master of 'Angel' on the 'FTD' FTD sounds a little wobbly compared to the TCM version.
The cover of the 'Wild In The Country' FTD stated Presely on the spine (they did replace that one)
'Tuscon '76' anyone... replaced quietly on the sly
The original 'Girl Happy' had the wrong take of 'You'll Be Gone' plus an all new tinny reverb on the masters. Had to buy the repress for that one!!
I know it's a fan/collectors label but as mentioned they aren't cheap, they never get reduced into a bargain bin and more importantly they do have a pretty big mother label, it would only take a test press to be looked and listened to with some keen eyes and ears!! I can't seem to remember many of the mass market Elvis releases having as many, if any, errors...
Should the incorrect undubbed/unedited version of Merry Christmas Baby [TWWOC] be added to the list too. Or was that a deliberate take it as it comes error?

poormadpeter

Post by poormadpeter »

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Matthew wrote:[Too Much Monkey Business (2000) - mastering error on Loving Arms
Easter Special (2001) - mastering errors resulting in digital clicking and noise throughout.
New Year's Eve (2003) - mastering errors resulting in digital noise.
So High (2003) - production fault on So High (take 1). FTD replaced the disc.
Elvis Today (2005) - mastering error resulting in significant volume mismatch between master takes and outtakes.
Unchained Melody (2007) - mastering error on Where No One Stands Alone.
Live In LA (2007) - mastering error, tape has not been speed corrected and thus runs too slow.
Elvis (Fool) (2010) - production error on disc 2 resulting in repeated take of Fool. FTD replaced the disc.
Live In LA (Again! - 2011) - straight CD re-issue of the book's CD. Previous mastering error not fixed.
Stage Rehearsal (2011) - mastering glitch on Patch It Up guitar solo.
Fashion For A King (2011) - legendary for its terrible grammatical problems and ironically FTD's best selling book.
Our Memories Of Elvis (2012) - mastering error on Are You Sincere.
Welcome Home Elvis (2012) - many grammatical problems.
From Hawaii To Vegas (2012) - mastering error, tape has not been speed corrected and thus runs too slow.
From Memphis To Hollywood (2012) - grammatical problems, though less that its predecessor.
Hits Of The 70s (2012) - incorrect version of My Way in place of the correct 1977 single.
Looking at your list without question shows 16 titles out of 117.

That's 14% of all releases since 1999. Or, to put it another way, you choose to ignore the fact that 86% of the Follow That Dream catalog cannot be faulted. That sounds like an excellent batting average for a fan-based, secondary label.

Now, let's take a closer look at your list.

First of all, you own each of these, correct? The other complainer went silent on this one. What a surprise.

Secondly, both So High and Elvis (Fool) issued replacement discs, and yet they remain on a list of "errors"? Do they still press the disc that needed to be recalled? "Damned if you do, damned if you don't" must be your philosophy.

Thirdly, the track of complaint on Hits of the 70's was a bonus cut and has not been verified as "incorrect."

Finally, the books you list do not have "grammatical problems."

They do unfortunately have errors of spelling, punctuation and grammar. Perhaps you should be more sympathetic.

In addition, these books were under the FTD imprint, but managed by people who are not a part of the core FTD team. Their publication was approved primarily because of the rare and beautiful photographic content.

So, by any fair measure, we can knock that 16 count down to 10, and this makes titles with "errors" to 9% of all FTD releases.

91% of this fan label's product is pretty darn good. What in God's name is your problem?

Have a nice day.
As far as I'm aware, the booklet for Hits of the 70s states that the version included is the June 21st 1977 performance, although as April performance was used. Perhaps someone could verify?

poormadpeter

Post by poormadpeter »

No-one has mentioned the track listing error on the Boy from Tupelo set.

ekenee
Banned: VERY angry previously returning member. Banned for abuse of the forum. ****Same Member as Mississippi1935****
Banned: VERY angry previously returning member. Banned for abuse of the forum. ****Same Member as Mississippi1935****
Registered for: 20 years 11 months

Post by ekenee »

I guess we Elvis fanatics are picky sumbitches.

Can't please any of us.

Were all a bunch of nerds that look at everything through a microscope,

drinking coffee from Elvis mugs, and walking around in our Elvis pajamas.

Seriously,
grammer, typos, and stuff like that I can accept.

I get way more frustrated at the editing and odd judgement calls.

elvis-fan

Post by elvis-fan »

ekenee wrote:I guess we Elvis fanatics are picky sumbitches.

Can't please any of us.

Seriously,

It looks like more of a case of people with a little too much time on their hands... who has the time, energy and lack of a life to find all that??? YIKES!!!

When In Rome
Registered for: 12 years 1 month

Post by When In Rome »

elvis-fan wrote:
ekenee wrote:I guess we Elvis fanatics are picky sumbitches.

Can't please any of us.

Seriously,

It looks like more of a case of people with a little too much time on their hands... who has the time, energy and lack of a life to find all that??? YIKES!!!
You only need to listen to something once sometimes to realise it's not right, just as you only need to read something once to pick up on certain typing errars which could bee avoided.

...you see, betcha noticed mine! Now where did I put my cosy elvis slippers? :mrgreen:

Well, Good evenin', don't that sun look good goin' down...

Deke Rivers II
Registered for: 19 years 9 months

Post by Deke Rivers II »

The Follow That Dream Soundtrack sounds very bad and never was corrected and replaced. That was discussed at length some time back on here; how quickly it has been forgotten as a badly mastered disc.

Jamie
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by Jamie »

Thankfully I didn't buy this disk but I totally agree that it's unacceptable to release a cd that runs at the wrong speed. The stock should be recalled and disks replaced. I can live with the odd error but not a whole disk being affected. Overall though I am very happy with FTD products.

Cheers

Gator's got me Granny.

Matthew

Post by Matthew »

Jamie wrote:The stock should be recalled and disks replaced.
FTD have only replaced problematic discs twice in their 13 year rein - it ain't gonna happen!

Jamie
Registered for: 20 years 10 months

Post by Jamie »

I agree it wont but it certainly should happen!

Gator's got me Granny.

Rob

Post by Rob »

FTD sucks! I wish this crappy label had never been born! a complete waste of time because they can't do anything right!

Bastards!

Is anyone buying any of this?

poormadpeter

Post by poormadpeter »

Rob wrote:FTD sucks! I wish this crappy label had never been born! a complete waste of time because they can't do anything right!

Bastards!

No-one is saying the label sucks, people are saying there are mistakes that shouldn't be there.

Are you happy about buying a CD mastered at the wrong speed, Rob?

Simon1
Prolonged Suspension. Repeat Offender
Registered for: 20 years 9 months

Post by Simon1 »

poormadpeter wrote:
Rob wrote:FTD sucks! I wish this crappy label had never been born! a complete waste of time because they can't do anything right!

Bastards!

No-one is saying the label sucks, people are saying there are mistakes that shouldn't be there.
Nothing and nobody is perfect Peter.

'The image is one thing, the human being another' - Elvis Presley 1972

Rob

Post by Rob »

poormadpeter wrote:Are you happy about buying a CD mastered at the wrong speed, Rob?
I never really gave it much thought, Pete.

I get these recordings because I get enjoyment out of Elvis Presley. If I happen to obtain an audience recording that is of bad quality, or a soundboard show that is the same, or even a rehearsal that is the wrong speed, I'm not particularly fond of it, no. However, I also know that much of this material was never meant to be heard by a hardcore Elvis fan / CD collector like me anyway. That alone makes me glad to hear it anyway that I can. As a fan at the level that I am, I would much rather hear this mastered a little too slow than to never hear it at all. I do not dissect these releases like so many others here do. I appreciate having had the chance to hear them. I am fortunate enough that I don't have to come close to picking and choosing various CD releases, so maybe that's where I don't agree when others complain. However, I am as much of a fan here as anyone and I remember 30+ years ago when I would have pushed an old lady in a wheelchair in front of a freight train to get this same material that is so easily accessible now. I enjoy what I can get and never take it for granted. Many here do not know what it was like in those days and are spoiled because FTD soundboards and great sounding boot CDs are all they've ever known. I'm from the old school and never take any of this material for granted. It makes me shake my head to hear all of this moaning about 5% too slow, this mix sucks, etc. Man, just enjoy the releases because someday it will all be over.

I really pity some on here who cannot just sit back and enjoy the recordings the way I do. They are really missing out on some great material. Damn the 5% too slow BS. You were never meant to hear it anyway.

Marko
Registered for: 20 years 6 months

Post by Marko »

I am with Rob on this one. When I started collecting Elvis in the 80's we were happy to get almost any new audience recording no matter how low sound quality. Never would have I dared to dream that we would have all this great material. The wealth and quality of the material that FTD has put out over the years is simply staggering. Yes, I would love to have everything mixed, mastered, edited and written perfectly but this isn't a perfect world. Overall I'm very happy with the material we have had from FTD. One also must remember that the label is run part time by Ernst. It's done more out of love than money. Elvis fan base is getting smaller and there isn't a ton of money to be made anymore. Plus Elvis has been gone for over 35 years. We should feel lucky we have a label run by a dedicated fan who's still searching for new material for us to enjoy. I doubt any other fan base is catered better. One day (and that might be pretty soon) it will be all over.

"I've learned very early in life, without a song, the day would never end. Without a song, a man ain't got a friend. Without a song, the road would never bend, without a song. So I'll keep on singing the song."

sweetangeline
Registered for: 14 years 10 months

Post by sweetangeline »

Rob wrote:I get these recordings because I get enjoyment out of Elvis Presley. If I happen to obtain an audience recording that is of bad quality, or a soundboard show that is the same, or even a rehearsal that is the wrong speed, I'm not particularly fond of it, no. However, I also know that much of this material was never meant to be heard by a hardcore Elvis fan / CD collector like me anyway. That alone makes me glad to hear it anyway that I can. As a fan at the level that I am, I would much rather hear this mastered a little too slow than to never hear it at all. I do not dissect these releases like so many others here do. I appreciate having had the chance to hear them. I am fortunate enough that I don't have to come close to picking and choosing various CD releases, so maybe that's where I don't agree when others complain. However, I am as much of a fan here as anyone and I remember 30+ years ago when I would have pushed an old lady in a wheelchair in front of a freight train to get this same material that is so easily accessible now. I enjoy what I can get and never take it for granted. Many here do not know what it was like in those days and are spoiled because FTD soundboards and great sounding boot CDs are all they've ever known. I'm from the old school and never take any of this material for granted. It makes me shake my head to hear all of this moaning about 5% too slow, this mix sucks, etc. Man, just enjoy the releases because someday it will all be over.

I really pity some on here who cannot just sit back and enjoy the recordings the way I do. They are really missing out on some great material. Damn the 5% too slow BS. You were never meant to hear it anyway.
BULLSEYE CASE CLOSED GAME OVER!! Man I could not agree more!!!

poormadpeter

Post by poormadpeter »

Marko wrote:I am with Rob on this one. When I started collecting Elvis in the 80's we were happy to get almost any new audience recording no matter how low sound quality. Never would have I dared to dream that we would have all this great material. The wealth and quality of the material that FTD has put out over the years is simply staggering. Yes, I would love to have everything mixed, mastered, edited and written perfectly but this isn't a perfect world. Overall I'm very happy with the material we have had from FTD. One also must remember that the label is run part time by Ernst. It's done more out of love than money. Elvis fan base is getting smaller and there isn't a ton of money to be made anymore. Plus Elvis has been gone for over 35 years. We should feel lucky we have a label run by a dedicated fan who's still searching for new material for us to enjoy. I doubt any other fan base is catered better. One day (and that might be pretty soon) it will be all over.
We are paying £20 a pop for these issues. They are not handouts.

How any fan thinks it is ok that an official release can be issued with such a huge error is beyond me. And, frankly, anyone who actually gives a damn about the performer they are supposed to be a fan of should be utterly dismayed that their performances are coming out in such a way. No, these performances were not intended to be heard in many cases - but out of respect for the artist they should at least be heard at the speed they were performed at.

sweetangeline
Registered for: 14 years 10 months

Post by sweetangeline »

poormadpeter wrote:We are paying £20 a pop for these issues. They are not handouts.

How any fan thinks it is ok that an official release can be issued with such a huge error is beyond me. And, frankly, anyone who actually gives a damn about the performer they are supposed to be a fan of should be utterly dismayed that their performances are coming out in such a way. No, these performances were not intended to be heard in many cases - but out of respect for the artist they should at least be heard at the speed they were performed at.
I have them all, each and every one including all the vinyl as well and I`m very happy with my 91%

poormadpeter

Post by poormadpeter »

sweetangeline wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:We are paying £20 a pop for these issues. They are not handouts.

I have them all, each and every one including all the vinyl as well and I`m very happy with my 91%
Would you expect 10% of the CDs you buy of other artists to have faults on them, technical glitches or mastered at the wrong speed? No. So why should we accept it for Elvis releases? It sounds to me that some people don't give a damn that they are being sold material that is being released without any care or attention. So much for respecting the artist.

rockinrebel

Post by rockinrebel »

poormadpeter wrote: As far as I'm aware, the booklet for Hits of the 70s states that the version included is the June 21st 1977 performance, although as April performance was used. Perhaps someone could verify?
No recording dates are listed for any of the tracks on “Hits Of The ‘70’s”. However, the back cover of the booklet features a full page scan of the 1977 red vinyl single release of “My Way”, which has ‘from the album Elvis In Concert’ printed on the label. Therefore, you would expect that the single version would have been included on this collection as this was the UK hit.

As the earlier recording is listed as a bonus track, I don’t think this can really be classed as an error. My feeling is that as the “Elvis In Concert” recordings have not been re-mastered, the single version of “My Way” was omitted due to sound quality issues.

elvis-fan

Post by elvis-fan »

Rob wrote:I get these recordings because I get enjoyment out of Elvis Presley. If I happen to obtain an audience recording that is of bad quality, or a soundboard show that is the same, or even a rehearsal that is the wrong speed, I'm not particularly fond of it, no. However, I also know that much of this material was never meant to be heard by a hardcore Elvis fan / CD collector like me anyway. That alone makes me glad to hear it anyway that I can. As a fan at the level that I am, I would much rather hear this mastered a little too slow than to never hear it at all. I do not dissect these releases like so many others here do. I appreciate having had the chance to hear them. I am fortunate enough that I don't have to come close to picking and choosing various CD releases, so maybe that's where I don't agree when others complain. However, I am as much of a fan here as anyone and I remember 30+ years ago when I would have pushed an old lady in a wheelchair in front of a freight train to get this same material that is so easily accessible now. I enjoy what I can get and never take it for granted. Many here do not know what it was like in those days and are spoiled because FTD soundboards and great sounding boot CDs are all they've ever known. I'm from the old school and never take any of this material for granted. It makes me shake my head to hear all of this moaning about 5% too slow, this mix sucks, etc. Man, just enjoy the releases because someday it will all be over.

You da man, brother Rob!!!

luckyjackson1
Registered for: 13 years 9 months

Post by luckyjackson1 »

This is one helluva amusing topic! :D

When the evening shadows fall
And you're wondering who to call
For a little company
There's always me

Simon1
Registered for: 20 years 9 months

Post by Simon1 »

luckyjackson1 wrote:This is one helluva amusing topic! :D
Trust me, it will only get better ;)

'The image is one thing, the human being another' - Elvis Presley 1972