Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: From Hawaii to Las Vegas FTD mastered 5% too slow.

Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:00 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Matthew wrote:It's baffling a fan like yourself would deem the likes of mastering errors and serious grammatical mistakes in premium products like these as "trivial miscues" ...

Put up or shut up.

117 releases.

Please list for all:

1) Mastering errors
2) Serious grammatical mistakes

Then let us discuss who is being pedantic and who is being rational.


If you have any of these releases yourself or know anything about the music, you would know what errors and ommissions have occured on FTD releases. Plus they have been discussed many times before with the same predictable remarks from you every time.

Re: From Hawaii to Las Vegas FTD mastered 5% too slow.

Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:08 pm

poormadpeter wrote:No-one has mentioned the track listing error on the Boy from Tupelo set.



...or the poor pixelated quality of several of the pictures, some of which are better in previous books.

Re: From Hawaii to Las Vegas FTD mastered 5% too slow.

Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:11 pm

Tony.. wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Matthew wrote:It's baffling a fan like yourself would deem the likes of mastering errors and serious grammatical mistakes in premium products like these as "trivial miscues" ...

Put up or shut up.

117 releases.

Please list for all:

1) Mastering errors
2) Serious grammatical mistakes

Then let us discuss who is being pedantic and who is being rational.


If you have any of these releases yourself or know anything about the music, you would know what errors and ommissions have occured on FTD releases. ...

You miss the point. And such rudeness. But that's OK, you're you.

You should also know I own an original copy of every single Follow That Dream release.

And it's rumoured I know a smidge about music. ;-)

XO

Re: From Hawaii to Las Vegas FTD mastered 5% too slow.

Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:33 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Tony.. wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Matthew wrote:It's baffling a fan like yourself would deem the likes of mastering errors and serious grammatical mistakes in premium products like these as "trivial miscues" ...

Put up or shut up.

117 releases.

Please list for all:

1) Mastering errors
2) Serious grammatical mistakes

Then let us discuss who is being pedantic and who is being rational.


If you have any of these releases yourself or know anything about the music, you would know what errors and ommissions have occured on FTD releases. ...

You miss the point. And such rudeness. But that's OK, you're you.

You should also know I own an original copy of every single Follow That Dream release.

And it's rumoured I know a smidge about music. ;-)

XO


Yes, we know you are an expert on (c)rap. But, no, that isn't music, so that doesn't count. :smt006

Re: From Hawaii to Las Vegas FTD mastered 5% too slow.

Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:33 pm

Clearly the Doc missed my earlier question..

I'd like to ask the Doc a question.

If you went on to Amazon and bought an official EMI CD of outtakes from the Beatles Abbey Road sessions, and found out that it was mastered 5% too slow, would you be happy with the release?

A yes or no answer will suffice

Re: From Hawaii to Las Vegas FTD mastered 5% too slow.

Sun Dec 02, 2012 7:10 pm

So, what's the percentage speed-correction estimate on Live in LA?
Last edited by elvissessions on Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: From Hawaii to Las Vegas FTD mastered 5% too slow.

Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:26 pm

My 2 cents: Mistakes are going to happen because these are put together by humans but there should be some proof checking, proof listening and proof reading before these things are sent out. These aren't cheap $1.99 Camden or Pickwick releases found in the cutout bin. These releases are pretty expensive and so there should be some oversight. These aren't bootlegs where mistakes are kind of expected, these are official releases so they should be held to a higher standard, especially at their prices.

Re: From Hawaii to Las Vegas FTD mastered 5% too slow.

Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:37 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Blue River wrote:But we're not charging Ernst or SONY anything for our mistakes... eh?

Suggestion: stop buying anything by a label that charges you for their mistakes.

Suggestion: stop sucking up to Ernst, get real, and be your own man.

Hope this helps

Re: From Hawaii to Las Vegas FTD mastered 5% too slow.

Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:42 pm

Blue River wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:
Blue River wrote:But we're not charging Ernst or SONY anything for our mistakes... eh?

Suggestion: stop buying anything by a label that charges you for their mistakes.

Suggestion: stop sucking up to Ernst, get real, and be your own man.

Hope this helps



:smt003

Re: From Hawaii to Las Vegas FTD mastered 5% too slow.

Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:53 am

Man, I'm glad I stayed away from this release if the criticisms of it are accurate. But just the same, I can't believe some of the comments.
It's simple. Download a software program (ie audacity) to which you can alter and correct the speed until your heart's (or brain's) content and make yourself a copy.

Re: From Hawaii to Las Vegas FTD mastered 5% too slow.

Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:28 am

Robt wrote:But just the same, I can't believe some of the comments.
It's simple. Download a software program (ie audacity) to which you can alter and correct the speed until your heart's (or brain's) content and make yourself a copy.

That's the only option. Hardly acceptable though.

Re: From Hawaii to Las Vegas FTD mastered 5% too slow.

Mon Dec 03, 2012 1:49 am

I wish people would boycott threads too when they didn't agree with something and made their point already! I'm sure there would be way less ignorant fights in FECC's history and useless jokes and comments that way.

Re: From Hawaii to Las Vegas FTD mastered 5% too slow.

Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:11 am

Although 91% seems like a nice percentage, in reality we probably overlook a few failures so we can argue if this result is good enough or not.
Personally I would like to see Lene being replaced as some of the mistakes clearly show a lack of dedication... or talent.

Nothing personal but facts don't lie.
I don't think an error rate around 10% can't be considered a decent result given the sensitivity and importance of Elvis Presley music.

That said, FTD is still a great label in my book and I will support the label as long as it continues to deliver great material.

Re: From Hawaii to Las Vegas FTD mastered 5% too slow.

Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:45 am

Robt wrote:Man, I'm glad I stayed away from this release if the criticisms of it are accurate. But just the same, I can't believe some of the comments.
It's simple. Download a software program (ie audacity) to which you can alter and correct the speed until your heart's (or brain's) content and make yourself a copy.


Why should people have to do that after they have bought it? What's next? FTD releasing all the tracks separately as they can't be bothered to mix it either?

Re: From Hawaii to Las Vegas FTD mastered 5% too slow.

Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:34 am

Robert wrote:Although 91% seems like a nice percentage

A highly debatable percentage.

Re: From Hawaii to Las Vegas FTD mastered 5% too slow.

Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:38 am

poormadpeter wrote:Why should people have to do that after they have bought it?

It's okay, Robt just downloads his FTDs anyway.

Re: From Hawaii to Las Vegas FTD mastered 5% too slow.

Mon Dec 03, 2012 3:55 am

Matthew wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:Why should people have to do that after they have bought it?

It's okay, Robt just downloads his FTDs anyway.


this is true!

Re: From Hawaii to Las Vegas FTD mastered 5% too slow.

Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:35 am

YDKM wrote:Well listed and said Matthew....all those 'errors' WERE NOTED after each release came out in the disscussion about them. ekenee also makes good points too,... but again as to 'correct speed' does ANYONE bother to actually LISTEN to the product b4 it is put out??? is their much quality control or is every thing just done on the cheap- hence using Lebe Reidel? :?

You are right in that Lene Reidel obviously cannot have listened to the 'Today' Classic Album glass Master nor the 'Our memories Of Elvis' master before they went to the pressing plant as they both had glaring faults.
She obviously doesn't learn her lesson that she should check her work properly.
Although I am sure Ernst gave her a blast after the 'Our memories Of Elvis' debacle where the discs should have been replaced!
Cheers, Piers

Re: From Hawaii to Las Vegas FTD mastered 5% too slow.

Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:46 am

Tony.. wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:No-one has mentioned the track listing error on the Boy from Tupelo set.



...or the poor pixelated quality of several of the pictures, some of which are better in previous books.

Several? Enough of the exagerating!

Box and book front cover - light pixelation
p9 - Humes High School, Memphis, Tennessee - medium pixelation
p11 - Elvis at his prom with Regis Wilson - heavy pixelation
p107 - Original postcard - medium pixelation
p108 - Backstage at the Louisiana Hayride, November 1954 (incidentally in the January, 1955 chapter) - light pixelation
p147 - Elvis with fans or friends - light/medium pixelation
p163 - Backstage at Dessau Hall - medium pixelation
p198 - Outside behind the tour bus - light pixelation
p199 - Scotty, Elvis, and Bill on stage in Waco - medium pixelation
p214 - Group shot - medium/heavy pixelation
p215 - Elvis and Bill Black sharing a joke - heavy pixelation
P235 - Elvis in Roanoke. May 18. 1955 - heavy pixelation
p239 - Elvis at Magnolia Gardens - medium pixelation
p241 - Background imafe - heavy pixelation
p246 - Bill Black, Jimmie Rodgers Snow, and Elvis getting ready for the parade - heavy pixelation
p247 - Meridian parade drum majorettes surround Elvis' Cadillac - medium/heavy pixelation
p249 - Elvis and his new camera - light pixelation
p256 - On stage at the Sportatorium - medium/heavy pixelation
p293 - Mrs. Curtis and Elvis backstage - I don't know how to describe this one! Its like her blouse has been cutout but there's something very weird going on with this photograph.
p305 - With fans in De Leon (background image) - medium pixelation
p315 - Elvis and his brand new Cadillac - heavy pixelation
p340 - In the parking lot with fan "Speedy" - medium/heavy pixelation
p341 - Elvis with the new Cadillac - light/medium pixelation
p345 - Sue Sugg, Linda Sugg, and Patsy McNutt backstage in Sheffield with Elvis - light pixelation
p357 - On Stage at the Mayfair Building (large photo) - light pixelation
p366 - Photo session for Hill and Range's song folio (large background image) - medium/heavy pixelation
p397 - Elvis in Marshall - medium pixelation
p411 - On Stage in Shreveport - light pixelation
p416 - Gilmer - light/medium pixelation
p442 - Bill Randle, Elvis, Scotty, and Bill on stage at Brooklyn High School - medium/heavy pixelation
p447 - Elvis on stage with Roy Acuff's band, the Smoky Mountain Boys, performing as Pap and his Jug Band - medium/heavy pixelation
p489 - Publicity shot at RCA Studios (ironically, the cover shot of Complete Masters that appears smaller here) - light pixelation
p491 - On stage in Montgomery with WBAM's Dan Brennan - medium pixelation
p493 - At the Lyric Theatre - light pixelation (the image is poor quality anyway as it happens)
p499 - On stage at the Hayride (large image) - medium/heavy pixelation

C'mon, surely this is needless nitpicking and is in no way worthy of a) complaint or b) disappointment.

Re: From Hawaii to Las Vegas FTD mastered 5% too slow.

Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:53 am

Their was one FTD 'error' that i actually enjoyed and that was thinking i had heard tracks from a Minesota Moment taken from Sioux Falls or Dayton in that Oct 76' tour to only find out later on i actually had been listening to School Day / Hurt / Hawaiian Wedding Song / Blue Christmas / Thats All Right from the Anaheim 30th Nov 76' show!~~ now to me that was a 'bonus' :wink: :roll:

Re: From Hawaii to Las Vegas FTD mastered 5% too slow.

Mon Dec 03, 2012 6:20 am

Matthew wrote:
Tony.. wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:No-one has mentioned the track listing error on the Boy from Tupelo set.



...or the poor pixelated quality of several of the pictures, some of which are better in previous books.

Several? Enough of the exagerating!

Box and book front cover - light pixelation
p9 - Humes High School, Memphis, Tennessee - medium pixelation
p11 - Elvis at his prom with Regis Wilson - heavy pixelation
p107 - Original postcard - medium pixelation
p108 - Backstage at the Louisiana Hayride, November 1954 (incidentally in the January, 1955 chapter) - light pixelation
p147 - Elvis with fans or friends - light/medium pixelation
p163 - Backstage at Dessau Hall - medium pixelation
p198 - Outside behind the tour bus - light pixelation
p199 - Scotty, Elvis, and Bill on stage in Waco - medium pixelation
p214 - Group shot - medium/heavy pixelation
p215 - Elvis and Bill Black sharing a joke - heavy pixelation
P235 - Elvis in Roanoke. May 18. 1955 - heavy pixelation
p239 - Elvis at Magnolia Gardens - medium pixelation
p241 - Background imafe - heavy pixelation
p246 - Bill Black, Jimmie Rodgers Snow, and Elvis getting ready for the parade - heavy pixelation
p247 - Meridian parade drum majorettes surround Elvis' Cadillac - medium/heavy pixelation
p249 - Elvis and his new camera - light pixelation
p256 - On stage at the Sportatorium - medium/heavy pixelation
p293 - Mrs. Curtis and Elvis backstage - I don't know how to describe this one! Its like her blouse has been cutout but there's something very weird going on with this photograph.
p305 - With fans in De Leon (background image) - medium pixelation
p315 - Elvis and his brand new Cadillac - heavy pixelation
p340 - In the parking lot with fan "Speedy" - medium/heavy pixelation
p341 - Elvis with the new Cadillac - light/medium pixelation
p345 - Sue Sugg, Linda Sugg, and Patsy McNutt backstage in Sheffield with Elvis - light pixelation
p357 - On Stage at the Mayfair Building (large photo) - light pixelation
p366 - Photo session for Hill and Range's song folio (large background image) - medium/heavy pixelation
p397 - Elvis in Marshall - medium pixelation
p411 - On Stage in Shreveport - light pixelation
p416 - Gilmer - light/medium pixelation
p442 - Bill Randle, Elvis, Scotty, and Bill on stage at Brooklyn High School - medium/heavy pixelation
p447 - Elvis on stage with Roy Acuff's band, the Smoky Mountain Boys, performing as Pap and his Jug Band - medium/heavy pixelation
p489 - Publicity shot at RCA Studios (ironically, the cover shot of Complete Masters that appears smaller here) - light pixelation
p491 - On stage in Montgomery with WBAM's Dan Brennan - medium pixelation
p493 - At the Lyric Theatre - light pixelation (the image is poor quality anyway as it happens)
p499 - On stage at the Hayride (large image) - medium/heavy pixelation

C'mon, surely this is needless nitpicking and is in no way worthy of a) complaint or b) disappointment.


Wow, that's almost impressive. Even more glad I kept my money for the 63CD Johnny Cash set out tomorrow!

Re: From Hawaii to Las Vegas FTD mastered 5% too slow.

Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:38 am

"5% too slow" is not a major issue as with compared to some of the senseless edits that are deemed as a major issue/loss, that permanently effects the CD collectors main expectations.

Although a speed correction issue can be self corrected(see below), and give the listener a complete historic content experience, the senseless edited decisions made by FTD are a permanent issue that gives the buyer a real reason to bitch, when top dollar is spent to obtain material from serious collector label.

It leave us with the decision to either buy these type of compilations or not, if this is the only effort that is given to provide top quality material.

Speed Corrected Thanks to dennyelvis here at FECC !
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=73724

Re: From Hawaii to Las Vegas FTD mastered 5% too slow.

Mon Dec 03, 2012 7:53 am

poormadpeter wrote:
Matthew wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:Why should people have to do that after they have bought it?

It's okay, Robt just downloads his FTDs anyway.


this is true!


Err...Yes. But not on this occasion. Still if a You Tube upload should become available I'd be intrigued to hear it just to see what the fuss is all about. Was this release mastered by Miss Reidel ?.

Re: From Hawaii to Las Vegas FTD mastered 5% too slow.

Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:03 am

PiersEIN wrote:
YDKM wrote:Well listed and said Matthew....all those 'errors' WERE NOTED after each release came out in the disscussion about them. ekenee also makes good points too,... but again as to 'correct speed' does ANYONE bother to actually LISTEN to the product b4 it is put out??? is their much quality control or is every thing just done on the cheap- hence using Lebe Reidel? :?

You are right in that Lene Reidel obviously cannot have listened to the 'Today' Classic Album glass Master nor the 'Our memories Of Elvis' master before they went to the pressing plant as they both had glaring faults.
She obviously doesn't learn her lesson that she should check her work properly.
Although I am sure Ernst gave her a blast after the 'Our memories Of Elvis' debacle where the discs should have been replaced!
Cheers, Piers


Nah EJ's a gentleman. Besides why can't EJ check these himselvis before they're mass-produced given Ms Reidel's track-record (so to speak).

Re: From Hawaii to Las Vegas FTD mastered 5% too slow.

Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:14 am

promiseland wrote:"5% too slow" is not a major issue

It is quite a problem actually - the music is playing a key lower than it should, that's not just slightly slower, that's a lot slower. That it can be self corrected by the purchaser is neither here nor there, the original album is defective. We buy the FTD albums to play, not to have to upload to computer, mess around with in audio software and then burn our own replacement CDs in order to hear the audio correctly (and not everyone knows how to do this).

I appreciate your point about edits and the like, but those are creative choices. The tape speed issue here is a mastering error. Different discussions.