Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: From Hawaii to Las Vegas FTD mastered 5% too slow.

Wed Dec 05, 2012 7:16 pm

Anybody got any idea why this FTD isn't shown on the EPE site? Maybe EPE is also 5% too slow?

Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:00 am

It may be sold out. It is pretty good! Glad I have it...and it doesn't sound slow to me.

Thu Dec 06, 2012 9:12 am

poormadpeter wrote:Are you happy about buying a CD mastered at the wrong speed, Rob?

With all due respect, stop being lazy and fix the problem yourself. My dad used to remaster stuff, and he was happy to do it. Maybe y'all should do the same.

Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:12 pm

fg76 wrote:
poormadpeter wrote:Are you happy about buying a CD mastered at the wrong speed, Rob?

With all due respect, stop being lazy and fix the problem yourself.

Lazy my arse. Lazy is the lack of doing a good job with the mastering in the first place. Lazy is not bothering to check the pitch of the recording, knowing full well it comes from a 39 year old cassette taped on 39+ year old equipment. This is basic stuff.

Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:13 pm

once again... people complain. Ernst gives us something New not released before.. and you guys are fighting about 5% speed diffrence.. Just get audacity put the songs in there and change the speed to 5%,its really not that hard.. Be glad they release this.

Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:19 pm

fg76 wrote:

With all due respect, stop being lazy and fix the problem yourself. My dad used to remaster stuff, and he was happy to do it. Maybe y'all should do the same.

Yeah, that's what the mechanic is always telling me at the garage when I take my car in for a service. "Look," he says "I just put the brakes back in roughly the right place, your job is to make sure that all the pipes and stuff are connected properly so you don't die when you're going down the motorway."

I used to think he was being a bit arsey, but maybe he has a point.

Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:20 pm

The Pirate wrote:
fg76 wrote:

Yeah, that's what the mechanic is always telling me at the garage when I take my car in for a service. "Look," he says "I just put the brakes back in roughly the right place, your job is to make sure that all the pipes and stuff are connected properly so you don't die when you're going down the motorway."

i didnt knew u could compare a elvis cd to a car :smt003 :smt003

Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:23 pm

Johnny2523 wrote:
The Pirate wrote:
fg76 wrote:

I didn't know that anyone could roll around on the floor laughing at such a feeble attempt at humour, but there you go. It takes all sorts.

Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:27 pm

The Pirate wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:
The Pirate wrote:
fg76 wrote:

I didn't know that anyone could roll around on the floor laughing at such a feeble attempt at humour, but there you go. It takes all sorts.

oh im not laughing because ur comment is funny but because its actually quite stupid to compare a elvis cd to a car.. like anyone goin to die for the 5% speed change on a cd

Thu Dec 06, 2012 1:56 pm

After years on this forum I shouldn't be surprised about comments the likes of 'what's to worry about, just fix it yourself.' When the Elvis consumer base will literally accept any old standard of quality why should we expect anything less? Who cares about mastering errors and screw-ups, at least it got released!

Thanks guys, you lower the bar for us all. It's why we get things like On Tour opening with Don't Be Cruel and a screw job like Hits Of The 70s on FTD. You'll spend your money on any old thing.

Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:03 pm

Matthew wrote:After years on this forum I shouldn't be surprised about comments the likes of 'what's to worry about, just fix it yourself.' When the Elvis consumer base will literally accept any old standard of quality why should we expect anything less? Who cares about mastering errors and screw-ups, at least it got released!

Thanks guys, you lower the bar for us all.

Well said.

Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:37 pm

Johnny2523 wrote:once again... people complain. Ernst gives us something New not released before.. and you guys are fighting about 5% speed diffrence.. Just get audacity put the songs in there and change the speed to 5%,its really not that hard.. Be glad they release this.

Excuse me, but,, Ernst didn't GIVE anything ----> ERNST SOLD IT.

Thu Dec 06, 2012 2:41 pm

Matthew wrote:After years on this forum I shouldn't be surprised about comments the likes of 'what's to worry about, just fix it yourself.' When the Elvis consumer base will literally accept any old standard of quality why should we expect anything less? Who cares about mastering errors and screw-ups, at least it got released!

Thanks guys, you lower the bar for us all. It's why we get things like On Tour opening with Don't Be Cruel and a screw job like Hits Of The 70s on FTD. You'll spend your money on any old thing.

And "Live" overdubs on a stage rehearsal CD I might add...

Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:01 pm

Well stated.

Thu Dec 06, 2012 3:10 pm

promiseland wrote:
Johnny2523 wrote:once again... people complain. Ernst gives us something New not released before.. and you guys are fighting about 5% speed diffrence.. Just get audacity put the songs in there and change the speed to 5%,its really not that hard.. Be glad they release this.

Excuse me, but,, Ernst didn't GIVE anything ----> ERNST SOLD IT.

which is logical... u really think they buy tapes for a few hundreds or thousands only to give them away for free or 6$? 20 $ is more then reasonable

Thu Dec 06, 2012 4:53 pm

Should I do the same with my FTD books, ie, go and correct all the spelling mistakes and grammatical errors with a pen by crossing out all the errors? Shall I just put sellotape over the torn / bent pages and how shall I repair the CD's that come with the books when the cheap plastic 'covers' 'sweat' all over the CD rendering it unplayable? :mrgreen:

Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:36 pm

Why in God's name should the consumer have to get audacity and change the speed? It's the product provider/creator that should correct the speed before issuing the product. I've said it before and I'll say it again: there's long been a need for a quality control person for FTD product.

Thu Dec 06, 2012 5:38 pm

Pete Dube wrote:

Why in God's name should the consumer have to get audacity and change the speed? It's the product provider/creator that should correct the speed before issuing the product. I've said it before and I'll say it again: there's long been a need for a quality control person for FTD product.

And I'm sure you'd find many here that would give their services, advice and know-how for free.

Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:06 pm

Tony.. wrote:
Pete Dube wrote:

And I'm sure you'd find many here that would give their services, advice and know-how for free.

Perhaps he hired one of them, and now they are vigorously defending their work on internet forums!

Thu Dec 06, 2012 6:37 pm

robg wrote:Now just being picky :oops: :smt003
Remember you'll have the wrath of the Doc on you, as all these are to be expected of an over priced product.
with the exception of "The Boy From Tupelo" but only if you got it for £50.00 that was great value I must say, but if you paid around £100.00 then yes I think you should be allowed to complain.

But back to the speed issue yes partly Ernst at fault, granted but more I would say to the person/s in charge of the mastering the audio to CD, remember this label is just a side operation for Ernst and he is to a degree doing us fans a great favour, all be it at a high price.
But the countless mistakes that keep cropping up time after time is simple, there is no product control, these FTD’s are done on the cheap (funny as we are stung a premium), if they weren’t done on the cheap the label would have ended a long time ago, remember very little info is given on the digi packs especially, as Ernst says we collectors know it all anyway.
But with the release of some, it appears more and more that the label has lost its way slightly especially with the Stage Rehearsals CD mixing Rehearsal with Live (ok if you want the general public to enjoy the CD not if you’re a collector, what’s next FTD going down the road of techno re-mixes?

But on a serious note, we have well over 100 titles to listen to and for the most part they are great, take away the sound glitches, spelling mistakes and everything else. If they were BOOTLEGS we would be singing hail the FTD label, we really need to full picture behind these releases and how they are produced, that way fans may be less critical.
But also the end selling price is a major player here; if you pay big you expect the best. Unfortunately FTD can’t do that for the most part, unless SONY or BMG before did the mastering, so Ernst wouldn’t have to go down the cheap route.

And having super guru Doc clouding everything with his views and incorrect banter just confuses things even more, Ernst I am sure is sorry the day he gave into the Doc’s pestering to help on the Tupelo set. Again proof will be in future products where you won’t see him credited! That is not a bitchy dig, just hard facts its great being a big fish in a little pond.

I don't know what the hell you're trying to say here "robg" but I'm quite sure none of it is factual...

Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:17 pm

robg wrote:ask Ernst, its no secret - He is available here, and he does answer, if your sensible and know what you are talking about and friendly. Too many people shy away and take the preaching’s of a selected member from here and believe as gospel, but remember the truth is out there, if you care to ask. There is a lot more too any story, than one persons say so, just it’s highly censored here, for some strange reason.(maybe to heighten the mystery and make certain people look more important than they really are) and to create a follow the sheep syndrome. or the blinker effect.

Its no big deal at the end of the day its only Elvis after all, and there is a lot more to life remember.

If Ernst was out there and reading these posts, you would think he would have the guts to contribute to the thread and give some explanations as to the quite serious issues being raised here. Either he ain't here, or he ain't listening.

Thu Dec 06, 2012 7:26 pm

This is total nonsense.

Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:35 pm

robg wrote:Its not about having guts, he does post here much because he knows he will be bombarded with things not relevant, he is more that aware of the issues, but most if not all come to the light after the release, why simple no one checks properly, they have limited budget so certain protocols as used on major release have to be side stepped, I am sure he tries his best and relying on people to do things who either are getting paid next to nothing or a few free copies of the CD, he can’t come down on them the same way as if he paid them a proper wage.

We are fortunate to a degree there are those here eager find the faults, and with the audio at least those happy to repair them.
Ernst is here but only from time to time, he does have better things to do, but I am sure he has heard about the speed fault. As for listening, as I have pointed out PM him ask him, instead of posting in the hope he will see it.

It takes an hour of his time to listen to the CD.

He is the producer.

The buck stops with him.

Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:51 pm

poormadpeter wrote:
robg wrote:Its not about having guts, he does post here much because he knows he will be bombarded with things not relevant, he is more that aware of the issues, but most if not all come to the light after the release, why simple no one checks properly, they have limited budget so certain protocols as used on major release have to be side stepped, I am sure he tries his best and relying on people to do things who either are getting paid next to nothing or a few free copies of the CD, he can’t come down on them the same way as if he paid them a proper wage.

We are fortunate to a degree there are those here eager find the faults, and with the audio at least those happy to repair them.
Ernst is here but only from time to time, he does have better things to do, but I am sure he has heard about the speed fault. As for listening, as I have pointed out PM him ask him, instead of posting in the hope he will see it.

It takes an hour of his time to listen to the CD.

He is the producer.

The buck stops with him.

IIRC, the buck stops with you, as far as most FTD releases. ;-)

Thu Dec 06, 2012 8:58 pm

robg wrote:Now just being picky :oops: :smt003
Remember you'll have the wrath of the Doc on you, as all these are to be expected of an over priced product.
with the exception of "The Boy From Tupelo" but only if you got it for £50.00 that was great value I must say, but if you paid around £100.00 then yes I think you should be allowed to complain.

But back to the speed issue yes partly Ernst at fault, granted but more I would say to the person/s in charge of the mastering the audio to CD, remember this label is just a side operation for Ernst and he is to a degree doing us fans a great favour, all be it at a high price.
But the countless mistakes that keep cropping up time after time is simple, there is no product control, these FTD’s are done on the cheap (funny as we are stung a premium), if they weren’t done on the cheap the label would have ended a long time ago, remember very little info is given on the digi packs especially, as Ernst says we collectors know it all anyway.
But with the release of some, it appears more and more that the label has lost its way slightly especially with the Stage Rehearsals CD mixing Rehearsal with Live (ok if you want the general public to enjoy the CD not if you’re a collector, what’s next FTD going down the road of techno re-mixes?

But on a serious note, we have well over 100 titles to listen to and for the most part they are great, take away the sound glitches, spelling mistakes and everything else. If they were BOOTLEGS we would be singing hail the FTD label, we really need to full picture behind these releases and how they are produced, that way fans may be less critical.
But also the end selling price is a major player here; if you pay big you expect the best. Unfortunately FTD can’t do that for the most part, unless SONY or BMG before did the mastering, so Ernst wouldn’t have to go down the cheap route.

And having super guru Doc clouding everything with his views and incorrect banter just confuses things even more, Ernst I am sure is sorry the day he gave into the Doc’s pestering to help on the Tupelo set. Again proof will be in future products where you won’t see him credited! That is not a bitchy dig, just hard facts its great being a big fish in a little pond.

This is so wrong, there is no point in even bothering to correct such ignorance.

Suffice to say you don't know what you're talking about regarding me, "robg," which might lead many to conclude your entire rant is hogwash.

Thank you.

::rocks