Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Juliens auction be ware!

Sun Nov 01, 2015 3:48 pm

I see already some bids were made on the so called stage worn jacket from 1972 with the golden pockets.

Buyer beware!

The supplied photos and footage show a different jacket!
Elvis had jackets with brownish pocket, red, green and blue. NEVER golden pockets.
The photos with the belt with the faces is the green jacket which is shown in the booklet Jumpsuit all acces.
The footage shows the light blue 3 piece which is currently on display in Vegas.

Also if you look closely you can see the cut of the jacket is slightly different.
Another clever forgery. Same as the 200,000 US concho suit that was never used in the film ttwii and was also sold by Juliens and was an 80s reproduction.

It is your money to spend, but I would think twice, before I say it's alright.

Re: Juliens auction be ware!

Mon Nov 02, 2015 6:23 pm

merry77 wrote:I see already some bids were made on the so called stage worn jacket from 1972 with the golden pockets.

Buyer beware!

The supplied photos and footage show a different jacket!
Elvis had jackets with brownish pocket, red, green and blue. NEVER golden pockets.
The photos with the belt with the faces is the green jacket which is shown in the booklet Jumpsuit all acces.
The footage shows the light blue 3 piece which is currently on display in Vegas.

Also if you look closely you can see the cut of the jacket is slightly different.
Another clever forgery. Same as the 200,000 US concho suit that was never used in the film ttwii and was also sold by Juliens and was an 80s reproduction.

It is your money to spend, but I would think twice, before I say it's alright.

The auction photos clearly are meant to only illustrate the style of wardrobe Elvis wore during the engagement that is similar.

I am not the consignor of the jacket, but I can say with some certainty that the jacket is original. I contacted the auction house as an interested bidder and was supplied the details of the jacket, of which I compared to others I have owned/ handled. The following matches to known originals:

1. Measurements
2. Fabric
3. Labels
4. Stitching/ Tailoring

Elvis had many versions of these suits created in multiple colors/ combinations.

The corresponding cape for this particular jacket resides in a private collection (Germany) of which has the gold lame lining. The cape was sourced from Alan Fortes, and was authenticated correctly. The pants to this item at one point were owned by Hard Rock and to my knowledge were last displayed at the Café in Paris 2004.

Its not appropriate to make sweeping blanket statements about Elvis's wardrobe as to what he had, or didn't have, especially based on the limited documentation that has been made available in books/ exhibits.

I myself have owned a few of these 1972 suits, some stage worn, and a couple not. Each was unique, but "the same" if that makes sense. The color combos, button placement, front connecting hooks varied, but the overall design, material, and finishing remained fairly consistent.

I had the chance to speak with the consignor of this piece and have no doubt given all the above, plus the provenance that the jacket is original.

You're right to be skeptical of material associated to Elvis as the market is flooded with forgeries. As in all cases experience, and proper research is needed to validate this unique material. A market not to delve into lightly.

Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:10 am

There are 4 bids for lot 117 for $ 27500.-.

colonel snow

Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:26 am

Hollywood, thank you for your reply. Appreciated.
Lately the market has been flooded with forgeries. And since it's very hard to claim that it is genuine (or not genuine) once it's sold it can't hurt to do extra research.

Recently a suit was withdrawn from the auction because authenticity couldn't be garanteed.
I am glad you shared some of your insights about this piece.

Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:31 am

merry77 wrote:Hollywood, thank you for your reply. Appreciated.
Lately the market has been flooded with forgeries. And since it's very hard to claim that it is genuine (or not genuine) once it's sold it can't hurt to do extra research.

Recently a suit was withdrawn from the auction because authenticity couldn't be garanteed.
I am glad you shared some of your insights about this piece.

You're very welcome.

As you know yourself.......Elvis collecting can be dangerous waters.

If you are referring to the Concho Suit............yes there were most definitely some issues. Although sourced to Sheila Ryan I have serious doubts on the authenticity as well.

When I contacted Juliens to get more details and received the suits measurements I knew there was an issue. Although some the suits from TTWII were made in multiples (meaning two of each) such as the case with the Concho suit this one certainly was wrong in a couple ways.

1. Too short (the measurements of the suit would have fit a man 5'10, not 6'2 as the length of the Graceland version)
2. The interior lining was also incorrect

If both suits were made at the same time, as they would have been, there would be virtually little to no difference between them. There were some other differences not so important, but in the end Elvis would never have fit into this suit, therefore he never could have worn it. If he didn't wear it, then what's the point.

Needless to say I did not bid.