Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

When The 70s are Public Domain

Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:47 pm

When the 70s are public domain.. if someone has an unreleased soundboard in their hands.. would they be able to release it on their own or go through someone like MRS??

Re: When The 70s are Public Domain

Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:58 pm

Moonchild wrote:When the 70s are public domain.. if someone has an unreleased soundboard in their hands.. would they be able to release it on their own or go through someone like MRS??

The 70s won't be public domain until 2040 due to recent changes to the law, so we have a long wait.

Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:57 am

I pay very little to PD releases or the related laws, but my understanding is that they relate to when a recording was released, not when it was recorded.If thats not the case, then the PDers will hit the jackpot.

Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:11 am

Jim Dandy wrote:I pay very little to PD releases or the related laws, but my understanding is that they relate to when a recording was released, not when it was recorded.If thats not the case, then the PDers will hit the jackpot.

Regardless, who wants to buy second or third generation recordings anyway???

Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:15 am

Im talking about the possibility of unreleased soundboard shows in the hands of private collectors that have never been released..officially or unofficially

Sun Dec 02, 2012 5:37 am

poormadpeter wrote:
Moonchild wrote:When the 70s are public domain.. if someone has an unreleased soundboard in their hands.. would they be able to release it on their own or go through someone like MRS??

The 70s won't be public domain until 2040 due to recent changes to the law, so we have a long wait.

When did this happen

Sun Dec 02, 2012 8:14 am

Technically, if the material has never been released, then it will never become public domain. As Mr. Dandy has stated, the time counts from when the recording was first released. MRS releasing things like the GIB outtakes in PD is BS. Only the master takes are actually in PD.

Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:16 am

Moonchild wrote:Im talking about the possibility of unreleased soundboard shows in the hands of private collectors that have never been released..officially or unofficially

If these people did not sell when the prices were good I highly doubt they will sell now.
Only hope for us fans is that when these people die, their children will sell the tape(s) if it is still playable then.

Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:30 pm

zolderopruiming1 wrote:
Moonchild wrote:Im talking about the possibility of unreleased soundboard shows in the hands of private collectors that have never been released..officially or unofficially

If these people did not sell when the prices were good I highly doubt they will sell now.
Only hope for us fans is that when these people die, their children will sell the tape(s) if it is still playable then.

If they have them right?

Sun Dec 02, 2012 11:02 pm

...but Ernst himself said during Elvis week about the newly discovered I forgot to remember to forget live 1955, that once the guy put it on the internet it became public domain. So wouldnt the same law go for outtakes and other live recordings?

Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:39 am

Moonchild wrote:...but Ernst himself said during Elvis week about the newly discovered I forgot to remember to forget live 1955, that once the guy put it on the internet it became public domain. So wouldnt the same law go for outtakes and other live recordings?

He used the words "public domain", but I doin't think he meant it in the legal sense. What I think he meant was that fans are not going to spend money to acquire something that they can already get for free.

Brian