Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Frankie and Johnny on Pickwick

Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:30 pm

likethebike wrote:
eligain wrote:Wasn't the Camden and Pickwick releases mainly for the none record store sales like Woolworths, Sears, Target, Rexall Drugs, Kmart, Walgreens etc? I remember seeing them only there and never at any of the actual record stores. Our neighborhood drug store had a small bin or records and 8-Track tapes that were usually 99 cents to $1.99. They always had Camden/Pickwick releases in there. They once had the "Raised on Rock" album there for $1.99 in 1974! It had to be a mistake.

That may have been a cut out. Sometimes they made their way to supermarkets.

No, it wasn't a cut out. I didn't buy it at the time because I thought it a budget release. I would up paying full price for it about a month later.

Mon Nov 02, 2015 9:52 pm

I saw the complete "Frankie and Johnny" soundtrack (Canadian reissue) pictured on a record sleeve in 1978 or '79 (can't recall which album the sleeve belonged to - maybe the Canadian tribute?) and wrote to RCA Canada asking if I could purchase a copy from them. I received a response saying they couldn't sell me one as they had to protect their US distributors - no mention made of the absurd Pickwick release but obviously that's what kept the full reissue from a US appearance. Never came across it on import either, anywhere. I rarely ever saw the original '66 album over the years, and when I did it was priced way too high. I finally bought the soundtrack when it was reissued on cd about 5 years ago, but it would have meant a lot more to me when I was 12 or 13 and really loved those soundtracks.
A very strange situation. Noone to my knowledge has ever explained why three tracks were left off that Pickwick album.

Tue Nov 03, 2015 12:22 am

Camden releases were packaged for rack jobbers who primarily placed them in grocery, discount, convenience and drug stores. They were primarily marketed as impulse buys for non-critical fans who rarely set foot in a record store -- if at all.

Tue Nov 03, 2015 1:14 am

And, of course, the cover design was atrocious... They didn't even use any movie stills from the movie, instead they used the same Summer '71 "Elvis Now" picture, and the back cover was a collage of concert pics, mostly from "Aloha"... Elvis was a totally different performer in the 70s than he was 1965 :roll:

Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:56 am

DearGeorgie wrote:And, of course, the cover design was atrocious... They didn't even use any movie stills from the movie, instead they used the same Summer '71 "Elvis Now" picture, and the back cover was a collage of concert pics, mostly from "Aloha"... Elvis was a totally different performer in the 70s than he was 1965 :roll:

I admit it struck me as very odd that they used the same cover shot on this albums as on "Elvis Now". Another Pickwick album, "Double Dynamite", used the cover shot from the MSG live album.