Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Elvis copied Bo Diddley and Jackie Wilson

Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:56 pm

This notion of Elvis as cultural thief is never going to go away, The old argument that he stole or ripped-off (mainly black) musicians is complete nonsense to me. First I don't think that at the age of 19, Elvis was that calculating. I don't think he consciously thought 'I'll steal something from here, and borrow something else from here and incorporate it into my own act'. The reality seems to be that Elvis was just a hardcore fan of the music he was exposed to growing up and he just had a natural desire to perform. What we saw is what we got at the right place and the right time. While I have great respect and admiration for Bo Diddley and know his music, I don't agree that Elvis 'copied' him or Jackie Wilson, not because I'm a biased Elvis fan, but because I don't see it. Bo Diddley had his style, Jackie Wilson had his and so did Elvis. Like alot of other sentiment out there from other performers and music writers I don't think that Bo Diddley's 'copy' assertion is mean spirited but I think when you do hear these negative comments from other performers I think it simply comes down to envy and confusion. The reality is that the white and black musicians that were contemporaries of Elvis who have accused him of stealing or have been confused by his success I think stems from the fact that they all came from the same socio-economic background and thought they had at least a marketable talent that should have had their records charting along side of Elvis. Some of the Sun artists that followed Elvis had this problem as well as other people like (if I'm not mistaken) Eddie Bond who said, and I don't have my copy of 'Last Train to Memphis' in front of me right now, but Bond said something like 'we were all doing the same kind of music and trying to make a name and this guy (Elvis) comes along, falls into the sh*thole and brings out the gold watch'. They couldn't accept that a guy who was just like them did a few swift moves and hit the jackpot.

Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:31 am

brian wrote:
Bodie wrote:To me i thought Bo was praising Elvis and i think im gonna stick with that.

You are entitled to do that but Bo Diddley was lying and saying bad things about Elvis.

No, he wasn't, but why don't you send him an email to confirm?

Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:37 am

We all know that Elvis wanted to be Bo Diddley.

Until he met Tom Jones...

Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:39 am

HoneyTalkNelson wrote:We all know that Elvis wanted to be Bo Diddley.

Do share -- this is NEW information!

And please, spend more than sixty seconds crafting your erudite reply. ;-)

Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:58 am

Uh oh, easy Doctor, easy!

Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:02 am

Don't let me down. :D

Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:51 am

It Won't Be Long :wink:

Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:16 am

It appears you are now peaking at :30 to craft replies. It's what you do!

Sat Dec 01, 2012 3:41 am

I don't think it's anything to get all worked up over. Everyone wants to think they were of prime importance. And he was important. More to Buddy Holly, though. It's clear he sees the significance of Jackie Wilson. But there are gaps in his knowledge. I don't think it's bitterness - it's understandable. He should be proud of his influence on Holly. But, like anyone, he wishes to have the highest possible place in the firmament. Don't we all?

rjm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:32 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:It appears you are now peaking at :30 to craft replies. It's what you do!

Glad to help. :wink:

Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:07 am

Seems to me that Elvis could indeed be any of the singers he wished to be except perhaps a full time opera singer.

He had the range, he had the vocals, he had the ability, he had the presence and here's the crux he could best them all as well.

So in turn everyone wanted to be Elvis, but they couldn't because they didn't have the range, the vocals, the ability, nor the presence.

And who will be talking and showing much interest in any of them 35 years after they left the building.

So the real question,why still Elvis after 35 years?

Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:59 pm

FredAistair wrote:Seems to me that Elvis could indeed be any of the singers he wished to be except perhaps a full time opera singer.

He had the range, he had the vocals, he had the ability, he had the presence and here's the crux he could best them all as well.

So in turn everyone wanted to be Elvis, but they couldn't because they didn't have the range, the vocals, the ability, nor the presence.

And who will be talking and showing much interest in any of them 35 years after they left the building.

So the real question,why still Elvis after 35 years?

Because he loved 3-D movies?

Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:59 pm

For Mo Fiddley to insinuate that Elvis stole from him is ridiculous. The 2 are like chalk and cheese. Squiddley was a short lived rhythm and blues guitarist who made songs that mostly had the same 'shave and a haircut, 2 bits' beat that mention his own (made up) name a lot; Elvis was a rock and sock singer and entertainer who went on to be a Hollywood success with a catalogue of extremely varied material recorded over a 20+ year period.
I see no similarity in songs such as "Diddy Wah Diddy", "Bo Diddley", "Hey Bo Diddley", "Bo Diddley is loose", "Bo's Bounce" by Bo Diddley comparing them with "Peace in the valley", "Hound dog", "Trying to get to you", "I love you because" etc. These were all recorded around the time that Tiddley is jealously talking about.
Last edited by Tony.. on Tue Dec 04, 2012 3:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:40 pm

What Bo Diddley is saying in this interview is kind of a back handed compliment of Elvis if you take into consideration what he has said about Elvis in other interviews. Bo Diddley had said for years that Elvis stole from him and stole his act. He even sad that Elvis used to sneak in and watch his act before Elvis got famous which I think was impossible. Diddley has also been less than honest about other things as well like saying they filmed him from the waist up on Ed Sullivan before Elvis. Which isn't true.

Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:24 am

The funny thing about all of this is while there are several performers that feel compelled to publicly state that Elvis 'copied' or 'stole' from them, the irony is that Elvis himself could've, but never to my knowledge, say the same about the performers that became stars in the wake of his success. Although I personally think that Eddie Cochran and Gene Vincent are great in their own right, it could've been very easy for Elvis, the Colonel, or anybody in Elvis' camp to argue that both of them 'stole' from him.

Mon Dec 03, 2012 8:41 am

That's because Elvis had class. He didn't utilize his celebrity status to denigrate other performers or state his political views.

Others could have learned from his wisdom

Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:51 pm

Tony.. wrote:For Mo Fiddley to insinute that Elvis stole from him is ridiculous. The 2 are like chalk and cheese. Squiddley was a short lived rhythm and blues guitarist who made songs that mostly had the same 'shave and a haircut, 2 bits' beat that mention his own (made up) name a lot; Elvis was a rock and sock singer and entertainer who went on to be a Hollywood success with a catalogue of extremely varied material recorded over a 20+ year period.
I see no similarity in songs such as "Diddy Wah Diddy", "Bo Diddley", "Hey Bo Diddley", "Bo Diddley is loose", "Bo's Bounce" by Bo Diddley comparing them with "Peace in the valley", "Hound dog", "Trying to get to you", "I love you because" etc. These were all recorded around the time that Tiddley is jealously talking about.

It is always kind of sad to see someone rant on and on who so clearly does not understand the rich African-American traditions that so delighted and influenced the man this forum is about. Your manner is abhorrent and embarrassing, and your choice of words tell us more about you than the topic at hand.

Mon Dec 03, 2012 10:52 pm

HoneyTalkNelson wrote:That's because Elvis had class. He didn't utilize his celebrity status to denigrate other performers or state his political views.

Ever heard the 9-02-1974 CS? He was very classy that night.

Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:03 pm

I haven't heard that particular recording, doctor. Can you tell me what performers he speaks ill of in that concert?

Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:13 pm

HoneyTalkNelson wrote:I haven't heard that particular recording, doctor. Can you tell me what performers he speaks ill of in that concert?

Karate expert Mike Stone.

And there are other examples, from other shows. For example, his treatment of an audience member at the 8-30-1974 MS is also a non-classy moment.

Elvis was human, and not always wise. ;-)

Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:20 pm

Ah, I see. Not all are blessed with Wisdom of the Ages.

But he was partially wise in that he loved the Beatles very, very much. :D

Tue Dec 04, 2012 2:25 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
HoneyTalkNelson wrote:I haven't heard that particular recording, doctor. Can you tell me what performers he speaks ill of in that concert?

Karate expert Mike Stone.

And there are other examples, from other shows. For example, his treatment of an audience member at the 8-30-1974 MS is also a non-classy moment.

Elvis was human, and not always wise. ;-)

But where is the tirade where he has downed any other musical star, there are a whole bunch of stars who talk about his modesty and generosity towards them going all the way back to the 50's

Tue Dec 04, 2012 7:52 am

Tony.. wrote:For Mo Fiddley to insinute that Elvis stole from him is ridiculous. The 2 are like chalk and cheese. Squiddley was a short lived rhythm and blues guitarist who made songs that mostly had the same 'shave and a haircut, 2 bits' beat that mention his own (made up) name a lot; Elvis was a rock and sock singer and entertainer who went on to be a Hollywood success with a catalogue of extremely varied material recorded over a 20+ year period.

I don't think it's fair to describe Bo as short-lived. He never achieved great commercial success but he continued recording throughout his life (even a duet with Steven Seagal not long before his death) and his music had great influence. Personally I love his stuff, right up till the end including A Man Amongst Man album and even the song with Seagal.

Tue Dec 04, 2012 8:43 am

Everyone borrows from everyone else. Knowing exactly WHAT to borrow is the key. That's how we evolve.

Elvis had an amazing instinct for what worked for him. And then he brought his own considerable style and talents to the party.

My appreciation for the the artists that influenced Elvis continues to grow as a result of my being an Elvis fan. And I think Elvis would approve of that.

Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:19 am

MaryAnn wrote:Everyone borrows from everyone else. Knowing exactly WHAT to borrow is the key. That's how we evolve.

Elvis had an amazing instinct for what worked for him. And then he brought his own considerable style and talents to the party.

My appreciation for the the artists that influenced Elvis continues to grow as a result of my being an Elvis fan. And I think Elvis would approve of that.

Very nice post. You are a very insightful and perception fan, and I hope to see more of your posts here. We need them!