Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

What happened between December 75 and March 76

Sat May 14, 2011 8:45 pm

I mean this question outside of the normal drug use trainwreck Elvis was becoming. Was their any rumors of a 'OD during this time, because Elvis was still sounding somewhat clean during his December Vegas stint, in a very strong voice for 1975.

Although the sound for New Years 75 on the audience tape is "tinny," he already was starting to sound different, and while March is a decent tour - the voice totally changed after that. Even his decent tours in October 76 and the great December 76 tour doesn't show the solid "Elvis voice" that 69-75 did. Although he was still a great singer until the end, as far as I'd care. Yet, the real Elvis seemed to really die vocally around 73-75 with a few exceptions.

Re: What happened between December 75 and March 76

Sat May 14, 2011 9:10 pm

He'd become a battery that couldn't hold a charge. While the December 75 shows were decent and incident free, the bar had already dropped perceptibly from the very strong and energetic Vegas shows of March, and the good-humored concerts of the spring and early summer (excluding the nastiness with Kathy and the Sweets.

Sat May 14, 2011 9:25 pm

The voice change is one thing, but that had to be the result of a fast physical decline.
I think it had to do with not working for several months.
Elvis gained quite some weight between Sept'74 and March '75 as well.

But this comparison tells it all.. July'75 ---> March'76!
ImageImage

Sat May 14, 2011 10:54 pm

His acting dream was dead ("A Star Is Born" in production with Kris Kristofferson in the role he had been offered first).

Management would not book an overseas tour.

Loneliness.

Depression.

Sat May 14, 2011 11:20 pm

Money worries

depression

drugs

Sun May 15, 2011 11:39 pm

Be that as it may, I'm also wondering what happened between December 31, 1976 and February, 1977. It seems as if during the last two years from Dec. - March and Dec. - Feb. Elvis looked the worst he ever did after these months. Makes you wonder why?

Mon May 16, 2011 12:45 am

An accumulation of things - and weight-gain being the least of his worries, considering how drugs and personal fetters had taken hold. Elvis could lose weight - he looked ok, weight-wise, during the October, November and December tours of '76, but his brain was becoming frazzled and his insides corroded with drugs. He could barely string a sentence together at times, and his singing voice was suffering in ways that would have had long-standing effects, even if he lived on through '77.

Sure, Elvis was heavy in December '75 - but he never sang with the same clarity, tone and control again. And had he acted in A Star is Born, that may have been a big enough deal to be a life saver - or prolonger - quality of the resultant film withstanding.

Mon May 16, 2011 1:57 am

Our man, was simply, living on borrowed time. Joe public often criticize's how fat and heavy Presley looked during the last TV special, but thank god they're not famaliar with how Elvis looked during the summer of '76! All this, just a mere 3 to 4 years after Aloha! How sad!

Mon May 16, 2011 3:31 am

thefunkyangel wrote:... thank god they're not famaliar with how Elvis looked during the summer of '76!

Elvis looked worse in June 1977 than he did in June 1976.

Mon May 16, 2011 4:15 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
thefunkyangel wrote:... thank god they're not famaliar with how Elvis looked during the summer of '76!

I think by August 1976 he was in worse shape then June 1977 though 2-12-77 may be the worst date.

It's funny but in 1975, 1976, and again in 1977 Elvis seemed to gain a lot of weight right around his birthday. Maybe he was depressed once he hit 40. Couldn't deal with it etc.

Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:00 am

This picture in blue suit is it really from July 1975? It's unbelievable how good was. I think was 1970

Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:31 am

jurasic1968 wrote:This picture in blue suit is it really from July 1975? It's unbelievable how good was. I think was 1970

This picture recalls the picture of him on Golden Records Vol I with the lop sided grin.

Mon Dec 31, 2012 1:39 pm

The difference is incredible isn't it?
Elvis became a total different person in 7-8 months.

Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:17 pm

jurasic1968 wrote:This picture in blue suit is it really from July 1975? It's unbelievable how good was. I think was 1970

What?

Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:24 pm

Matthew wrote:

What?

I mean to me it's unbelievable how great looked in that picture, that's all. So I think he looks like in 1970. I am not saying it's a wrong year.

Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:32 pm

jurasic1968 wrote:
Matthew wrote:

What?

I mean to me it's unbelievable how great looked in that picture, that's all. So I think he looks like in 1970. I am not saying it's a wrong year.

Nope...definitely not 1970. The choke he's wearing around his neck gives it away - it looks very similar to the one he wore while wearing the Vegas Gypsy Suit.

Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:42 pm

Jurassic68 knows very well the picture is from 1975. What he's saying is that elvis looks great, so great it seems from 1970.

Mon Dec 31, 2012 6:52 pm

You read my mind.

Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:36 pm

Robert wrote:The voice change is one thing, but that had to be the result of a fast physical decline.
I think it had to do with not working for several months.
Elvis gained quite some weight between Sept'74 and March '75 as well.

But this comparison tells it all.. July'75 ---> March'76!
ImageImage

That 75 pic actually looks pretty damn good...a little paunch, but not "fat and 40." Too bad it fell apart so quickly.

Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:48 am

fg76 wrote:I mean this question outside of the normal drug use trainwreck Elvis was becoming. Was their any rumors of a 'OD during this time, because Elvis was still sounding somewhat clean during his December Vegas stint, in a very strong voice for 1975.

Although the sound for New Years 75 on the audience tape is "tinny," he already was starting to sound different, and while March is a decent tour - the voice totally changed after that. Even his decent tours in October 76 and the great December 76 tour doesn't show the solid "Elvis voice" that 69-75 did. Although he was still a great singer until the end, as far as I'd care. Yet, the real Elvis seemed to really die vocally around 73-75 with a few exceptions.

The Elvis voice died in '71

Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:55 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

No man I'd have to disagree. He looked his absolute worst in 76

Tue Jan 01, 2013 6:35 am

thefunkyangel wrote:Our man, was simply, living on borrowed time. Joe public often criticize's how fat and heavy Presley looked during the last TV special, but thank god they're not famaliar with how Elvis looked during the summer of '76! All this, just a mere 3 to 4 years after Aloha! How sad!

Oh have to disagree with that, Joe public is certainly familiar with how Elvis looked at the end. They just automatically say he is fat and look bad since he wears 'a white jumpsuit'.

Tue Jan 01, 2013 7:55 pm

GuitarKing wrote:
fg76 wrote:I mean this question outside of the normal drug use trainwreck Elvis was becoming. Was their any rumors of a 'OD during this time, because Elvis was still sounding somewhat clean during his December Vegas stint, in a very strong voice for 1975.

The Elvis voice died in '71

I wouldn't go that far....but it certainly was the start of the decline (imo)

Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:00 pm

Who says his voice died 1in 1971 forgets the incredible performance of How Great Thou Art-Memphis March 1974. He received later a Grammy for this stunning performance. So the voice continued to be great even in his last years.

Wed Jan 02, 2013 3:16 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Almost exactly 1 year separates these photos - you be the judge

June 1976
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/candid-central/at.html

June 1977
http://www.elvis-collectors.com/candid- ... 60177.html