Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

House Members Call For Elvis Presley Day

Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:21 pm

This is an article published in THE HILL. I guess it won't happen, but it would be nice, don't you think?

House members call for Elvis Presley Day
By Pete Kasperowicz - 11/28/12 09:13 AM ET

Ten members of the House have introduced a resolution encouraging the recognition of Elvis Presley Day on Jan. 8, Elvis's birthday.
Rep. Larry Kissell (D-N.C.) and nine of his House colleagues proposed H.Res. 818, which summarizes Elvis's life story and says the singer "remains one of the most famous American entertainers of all time whose influence on music and whose cultural impact continues today."
Among other things, it notes that Elvis recorded more than 750 songs, sold more than a billion records around the world, served in the U.S. Army and "is hailed as the 'King of Rock 'n' Roll.' " The resolution also finds that the most requested item from the National Archives is a picture of Elvis shaking hands with President Nixon.
But because Elvis's birthday is not officially celebrated, the resolution expresses support for designating Jan. 8 as Elvis Presley Day, and "encourages the people of the United States, federal, state and local governments and interested groups to observe Elvis Presley Day."
Elvis was born January 8, 1935 in Tupelo, Miss., and died in Memphis, Tenn., in 1977.

Other sponsors of the resolution are Reps. Jim Cooper (D-Tenn.), Gregg Harper (R-Miss.), Alcee Hastings (D-Fla.), Sheila Jackson Lee (D-Texas), Michael Michaud (D-Maine), David Price (D-N.C.), Nick Rahall (D-W.Va.), Heath Shuler (D-N.C.) and Mel Watt (D-N.C.).

2 comments:
"Talking about wasting time and money. What the **** are you people doing up there. It's the ECONOMY, tools! When are you going to start doing what you were elected to do! Shameless."

"Really? Anyone who wants to remember Elvis has been doing so for many years. Think about jobs, House members....JOBS!"

Re: House Members Call For Elvis Presley Day

Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:50 pm

Great idea and well deserved, but terrible timing. This should have been pushed for back in 1978. This is America's worst group of house of representatives to date. This won't go over well with the Elvis haters. I agree with the ending. This country is in serious danger of yet another major recession and they are talking about honoring a singer instead of figuring out how to handles the debt that's about to start on January 1, when the Bush Tax cuts end and budget cuts begin.

Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:57 pm

These resolutions are pretty routine and probably don't distract from the serious business of the Congress. I'd hardly call it shameless. There is nothing wrong with commemorating Elvis' birthday. That said, I agree that there is serious business to be done. I doubt that commemorating Elvis' birthday will impede it.

MT

Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:11 pm

I hope it happens. Well overdue, especially as many awards can only be given whilst the nominee is alive. Elvis has lost out on several of these due to his death. He could be in with a chance for this one, if not now, then at some time in the near future.

Brian :)

Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:32 am

Here's a reply to those who are oppossed (LOL)

"Protesters may walk, hitchhike, drive or jet themselves all the way back to their homes, in disgust, after hearing these developments, but the unvarnished truth is that Presley, 35 years after his death, REMAINS the most celebrated, liked and actually revered American (not just American musician, not just theoretically revered...), as far as the US and the world is concerned. Contemplate, if you must, what 18 million paying visitors to Graceland, since it opened in 1982, ACTUALLY means.

Can anyone here think of another person, dead or alive, born under any circumstances who's made more people, from every corner of the globe, go totally out of their way to find out, exactly, what took him, or her, or they there, namely and in his case, from the utmost poverty of a home located less than 90 miles away?

Ok, so the White House draws a few more tourists, but here we are talking about a person who was not a politician, let alone one who became President of the United States. A look at the celebrities, including politicians, royals, heads of state, and of Government ( some sitting), who have taken the Graceland tour is one but of a million of reasons why this is so.

He's in more Presidential Libraries, Museums, real museums, including Army museums, not just Wax Museums (LOL), as well as music Hall of Fames than any other musician, living or dead. Moreover, more biographies are in print, about his life, or even segments of his life, than of any other musician of his generation, or of any generation, at last count, in excess of 1,234, as per the US Library of Congress.

It is therefore wishful thinking on the part of those who oppose this measure to validate their disgust by MERELY mentioning the waste that this would entail in taxpayers' money, or that he was not the perfect person most thought he was, until his death in 1977 and the reasons are simple.

For one, Presley was HIMSELF, and precisely, the highest US taxpayer for a period of at least seven years, and remained in the top ten throughout his public life. (1956-77). Any musicians, rockers or otherwise, in that list, that you know of, who could in any way be recognized, as the subject of a public holiday, the costs for such undertaking having ALREADY been compensated during the possible honoree's actual life, by his massive tax contributions to the US Internal Revenue Service?

And secondly, no single holiday in the US was EVER made official by the US Congress to commemorate actions taken in the course of an honoree's private life. It is what they did outside their private lives that mattered, the number of lives they touched, on a personal or public level, the icing on the cake as well.

In fact, whether the bill passes or not, THAT WILL NOT BE either here nor there. In truth, the so called House Resolution 818, or rather, a copy of it (LOL) must be immediately made available to the handlers of the Presley Estate, thereby joining other such important memorabilia so that, in future, another 18 million, perhaps even more, US Congressmen included, can see it on their next tours of Graceland.

Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:06 am

Life has taught me to be careful about saying NEVER. So I'll just say that I don't expect to see Elvis Presley Day in the U.S.A. anytime in the remotely near future.

Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:44 am

Gather say, 1000 americans of all walks of life, and of all ages (starting, say, at age 10, up to age 80) and ask them what they think about Elvis Presley and I´ll bet you that two thirds would either NOT know enough about him to make even an informed guess, or know only one tenth of what they should know to make it an informed one. A bio pic like that of Ray Charles, or Johnny Cash is in dire need. And even then, such is the breath and scope of Presley´s drama, of his life, and of the millions he touched in a relatively short span, 42 years, that not even a mini series would do it justice.

Thu Nov 29, 2012 4:06 am

that would be cool if they did that..

Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:29 am

Another win for President Obama!

Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:20 am

Yeah just not the time. Not even an anniversary. Really the House would rather do this stuff than actual work. This is an excuse for them to say "well we did something."

Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:36 pm

More on this story.

Brian

This Week in Washington
by U.S. Rep. Larry Kissell Richmond County Daily Journal
6 hrs ago | 129 views | 0 | 3 | | I’ve often written here about our need to find points of agreement, even small or seemingly trivial ones, so that we can communicate across the aisle and open the door to discussions about the big challenges our nation faces. I introduced a bill this week intended to do just that. I was asked by someone recently why, when America’s biggest export is our culture, do we not do more to celebrate that culture as a society. This person pointed out that we see culture hyped and the celebrity of culture honored, but the actual contributions of culture and art are often trivialized.

Anyone who has followed my career knows how seriously I take our efforts to export all American products to the world at large, and how committed I am to doing more to protect our products from unfair competition. This person suggested that much of our success in exporting our culture and making all things American more readily acceptable around the world can be traced to none other than the late Elvis Presley and the cultural changes in our nation represented by the man, his generation and his music.

I knew that Elvis had served our country honorably in the US Army and had helped the less fortunate through generous contributions and was very successful, but I asked my staff to research his contributions further and was surprised to find so many of the following facts: Elvis Presley performed the first worldwide television broadcast, Aloha from Hawaii, which was seen by more than a billion people; according to the National Archives, the most requested item from the Archives is a photograph of Elvis Presley shaking hands with President Nixon during a visit to the White House; his home, Graceland welcomes more than 600,000 visitors each year from around the world and is the most visited home in America after the White House, and in 2006, Interior Secretary Gail Norton designated his home as a National Historic Landmark; and in 1993, the United States Postal Service issued a first class stamp featuring an image of Elvis Presley which became the most popular stamp in United States history.

We have many Elvis fans in our district, and on their behalf I have introduced a resolution to express the sense of Congress that Elvis’ birthday, January 8, should be celebrated. This legislation costs no money to taxpayers and doesn’t require a day off for the Federal government, but it does celebrate perhaps our first real worldwide cultural icon whose legacy continues to help us export our culture internationally.

I believe our government can do more than one thing at a time, and that as we continue to try to find a resolution to our budget woes and get our fiscal house in order, we can also find common ground on a simple bill like this one. I’m proud we already have bipartisan support, and that this may be one of those small things we can find agreement on that will lead us to open the conversation on the big things — like our nation’s future.

Americans have always sought inspiration and unity in our shared cultural assets. New York hosted a World Series in 2001 even as Ground Zero still smoldered. Mardi Gras parades rolled and bands marched and played even as the rubble left by Hurricane Katrina lined some of the streets of New Orleans. Presidents of both parties have hosted concerts and performances and celebrated championship sports teams in the White House during times of severe economic hardship and war. I hope that maybe by pausing for a few minutes to celebrate the heritage and influence of one of the American south’s most successful and enduring exports, Elvis Presley, my colleagues in Congress will acknowledge briefly that we have more in common than we have at odds. In my opinion, anything that brings that about is worth trying to do.