Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Are there Christmas takes?

Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:16 pm

I know I've seen some from the 70s but how about the 50s and why can't everyday be like Christmas?

If so, is there a collection of them all, both 50s and 70s? FTD?

Re: Are there Christmas takes?

Sat Dec 01, 2012 5:41 pm

Unfortunately there aren't any alternate takes that has survived of the tracks of the '57 Xmas Album. FTD's Wonderful World of Christmas double cd has several alternate takes from '71 album. There's also one undubbed take of If Everyday Was Like Xmas that was originally released on Memories of Christmas album in 1982. There is no single album that includes all the different takes of the christmas tracks.

“ELVIS SINGS THE WONDERFUL WORLD OF CHRISTMAS”

DISC 1
THE ORIGINAL ALBUM
01 O Come, All Ye Faithful 2:48
02 The First Noel 2:09
03 On A Snowy Christmas Night 2:49
04 Winter Wonderland 2:17
05 The Wonderful World Of Christmas 1:57
06 It Won’t Seem Like Christmas (Without You) 2:41
07 I’ll Be Home On Christmas Day 3:48
08 If I Get Home On Christmas Day 2:51
09 Holly Leaves And Christmas Trees 2:52
10 Merry Christmas Baby 5:44
11 Silver Bells 2:26
BONUS SONG
12) I’ll Be Home On Christmas Day
– remake master 3:43

FIRST TAKES
13 It Won’t Seem Like Christmas (Without You) -takes 1-3 4:36
14 If I Get Home On Christmas Day - take 1 3:37
15 I’ll Be Home On Christmas Day - takes 1-3 7:54
16 Holly Leaves And Christmas Trees - takes 1,2 3:13
17 Silver Bells - takes 1,2 4:41
18 I’ll Be Home On Christmas Day – remake takes 1,2 5:48

DISC 2
01 I’ll Be Home On Christmas Day
– take 4 4:58
02 If I Get Home On Christmas Day
- takes 2,3 3:51
03 Holly Leaves And Christmas Trees
- take 3 2:27
04 I’ll Be Home On Christmas Day
– remake take 3 4:24
05 It Won’t Seem Like Christmas
(Without You) - takes 4,5 3:03
06 O Come, All Ye Faithful
– take 2 4:28
07 If I Get Home On Christmas Day
- take 5 3:00
08 The Lord’s Prayer 3:01 (Public Domain)
09 I’ll Be Home On Christmas Day
- takes 5,6 4:26
10 Holly Leaves And Christmas Trees - takes 4 2:36
11 It’ Won’t Seem Like Christmas
(Without you) - take 6 3:14
12 Merry Christmas Baby – take 1
(unedited version) 8:29
13 I’ll Be Home On Christmas Day
– remake takes 4-9 7:24
14 If I Get Home On Christmas Day
- take 7 2:57
15 Holly Leaves And Christmas Trees - takes 5-8 3:39
16 Winter Wonderland
– takes 7,8 3:53

Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:08 pm

There were strong rumours that the session reels for the original Christmas album were in private hands. Unfortunately, these just remain rumours and nothing concrete has ever surfaced.

elvisonline

Sat Dec 01, 2012 6:27 pm

Heres a good one ETK .....

Launched in 2006, this bootleg contains the known alternative holiday classics Nashville sessions accompanied by 71 other surprises.

A Holy Rockin 'Christmas

Content

1. Johnny B. Goode / O Holy Night (informal recording) 2. Miracle Of The Rosary (alternate take 1) 3. It Will not Seem Like Christmas Without You (alternate take 6) 4. Holly Leaves and Christmas Trees (alternate take 8) 5. Merry Christmas Baby (unedited / undubbed master take 1) 6. Silver Bells (alternate take 1) 7. I'll Be Home On Christmas Day (alternate take 9) 8. The Lord's Prayer (informal recording) 9. Winter Wonderland (undubbed master take 10) 10. Do not Think Twice, It's All Right (unedited / undubbed master) 11. O Come, All Ye Faithful (alternate take 2) 12. The First Noel (remixed version) 13. The Wonderful World of Christmas (complete unedited master) 14. I'll Be Home On Christmas Day (alternate take 4) 15. Merry Christmas Baby (original single version) 16. Lady Madonna (Informal Recording) 17. Fools Rush In (unedited / undubbed master take 24) 18. I've Got Confidence (alternate take 1) 19. Silver Bells (remixed master take 2 by Hank Williams and Ken Love) 20. Listen To The Bell (informal recording) 21. I'll Be Home On Christmas Day (alternate master take 10) 22. I've Got Confidence (unedited / undubbed master take 2) 23. The Wonderful World of Christmas (vocal overdub) Bonus: 24. Merry Christmas Baby (remixed version from "This Is Elvis")

A great single disc release .......

Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:31 pm

elvisonline wrote:There were strong rumours that the session reels for the original Christmas album were in private hands. Unfortunately, these just remain rumours and nothing concrete has ever surfaced.

elvisonline

I believe the session tapes for the original Christmas album are in private hands. I met two collectors at a record convention many years ago said seeing and hearing the tapes, also mentioned seeing several photos and notes taken from the recording session. Both had worked at RCA. One had several artwork proofs with notes for Elvis' Gold Records Vol. 2 having a black background. Nether would say anything about who had the tapes but I thought it might be one of them. They said some of the photos were going to be included inside the album's photo booklet, but it was decided not to use any because none were in color. They also mentioned reading from the notes at the end of the session, Elvis requesting more songs from Leiber and Stoller. But it didn't say more songs for the Christmas album or another album.

I can't be 100% if they were telling the truth, but they convince me the tapes do exist with photos and notes and are in private hands.

Sat Dec 01, 2012 9:32 pm

EPA4368 wrote:
elvisonline wrote:There were strong rumours that the session reels for the original Christmas album were in private hands. Unfortunately, these just remain rumours and nothing concrete has ever surfaced.

elvisonline

I believe the session tapes for the original Christmas album are in private hands. I met two collectors at a record convention many years ago said seeing and hearing the tapes, also mentioned seeing several photos and notes taken from the recording session. Both had worked at RCA. One had several artwork proofs with notes for Elvis' Gold Records Vol. 2 having a black background. Nether would say anything about who had the tapes but I thought it might be one of them. They said some of the photos were going to be included inside the album's photo booklet, but it was decided not to use any because none were in color. They also mentioned reading from the notes at the end of the session, Elvis requesting more songs from Leiber and Stoller. But it didn't say more songs for the Christmas album or another album.

I can't be 100% if they were telling the truth, but they convince me the tapes do exist with photos and notes and are in private hands.

Interesting part about what was said about the black background proof of Golden Records 2.

Anyone that has seen the inner sleeve ads for Elvis' LP catalog will notice that that album was
pictured with a black background.

Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:08 pm

EPA4368 wrote:

elvisonline

That would be awesome if they did exist...Don't was recorded during this time and I would love to hear the recording process of it.

Sat Dec 01, 2012 10:30 pm

ekenee wrote:Interesting part about what was said about the black background proof of Golden Records 2.

Anyone that has seen the inner sleeve ads for Elvis' LP catalog will notice that that album was pictured with a black background.

Excellent point.

The proofs look pretty close to this photo taken from the backside of JATs book... "Elvis In Gold."

Another proof they had I thought would have been good if RCA approved using was a gatefold for "It Happened At The World's Fair." The artwork's front side was the same used on the original album but backside didn't have the two shots of Elvis. Inside had color photos taken from the movie and a shot of the picture sleeve for "One Broken Heart For Sale." RCA rejected the gatefold idea over a cost dispute with Parker.

Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:25 pm

Heres a good one -
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Dec 01, 2012 11:39 pm

EPA4368 wrote:
ekenee wrote:Interesting part about what was said about the black background proof of Golden Records 2.

Anyone that has seen the inner sleeve ads for Elvis' LP catalog will notice that that album was pictured with a black background.

Excellent point.

The proofs look pretty close to this photo taken from the backside of JATs book... "Elvis In Gold."

Another proof they had I thought would have been good if RCA approved using was a gatefold for "It Happened At The World's Fair." The artwork's front side was the same used on the original album but backside didn't have the two shots of Elvis. Inside had color photos taken from the movie and a shot of the picture sleeve for "One Broken Heart For Sale." RCA rejected the gatefold idea over a cost dispute with Parker.

Cool, of course they did end up using the black background for a similair cover of the Extended play
A touch of Gold.

Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:02 am

My Wish Came True and Treat Me Nice are also part of the sessions. The idea of these being in private hands is a real heartbreaker, if true.

Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:03 am

L Ray wrote:My Wish Came True and Treat Me Nice are also part of the sessions. The idea of these being in private hands is a real heartbreaker, if true.

Not as heartbreaking as the dumpster theory! At least there'd be a chance that someday we might hear the session outtakes.

elvisonline

Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:53 am

elvisonline wrote:
L Ray wrote:My Wish Came True and Treat Me Nice are also part of the sessions. The idea of these being in private hands is a real heartbreaker, if true.

Not as heartbreaking as the dumpster theory! At least there'd be a chance that someday we might hear the session outtakes.

elvisonline

Good point.

Sun Dec 02, 2012 10:54 am

elvisonline wrote:

elvisonline

As to the "dumpster theory" does anyone know if this happened, and if so, why?

There is much other music, and many, many outtakes from that year, so how or why could this have happened?

It's a serious thing, because it is one of the two best rock-era Christmas albums. Period. Nothing else is close. (The other one is "A Christmas Gift For You" from a mad genius.) So not only is this Elvis Presley we're talking about, but a particular album that is remarkable! There should be outtakes. (You hear it everywhere this time of year: a favorite all over seems to "Santa Claus Is Back In Town," despite its ribald nature. Everywhere.)

It would be shame if for unknown reasons, everything else from it was destroyed. Hard to comprehend.

rjm

Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:21 pm

RCA cleaned out it's warehouse in 1959 or so. They threw away original session tapes as they didn't see them to be of any value. Huge mistake. Apparently some tapes survived by a chance. Ernst has been able to buy back some tapes which were in private hands. Radio Recorders engineer Bones Howe kept back-up tapes for himself and that's where we got many binaural recordings from '57.
Last edited by Marko on Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sun Dec 02, 2012 12:25 pm

Recalling the wonderful "ESSENTIAL ELVIS VOL. 2» one always have the hope that more outtakes would be found. What a wonderful christmas it would be if we could have the original Elvis' Christmas Album in the classic series for next years christmas? :)

Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:27 pm

bajo wrote:Recalling the wonderful "ESSENTIAL ELVIS VOL. 2» one always have the hope that more outtakes would be found. What a wonderful christmas it would be if we could have the original Elvis' Christmas Album in the classic series for next years christmas? :)

And to fill it with what that we already have on Christmas CD's of 57 masters? I don't get the point?

Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:39 pm

promiseland!
So, you don't see the point of releaseing the original Elvis' Christmas Album in the classic series with possible outtakes, be it mono or binaural? That was my point! Does it come across better now? :)

Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:01 pm

bajo wrote:promiseland!
So, you don't see the point of releaseing the original Elvis' Christmas Album in the classic series with possible outtakes, be it mono or binaural? That was my point! Does it come across better now? :)

Sure can you lead me to the Outtakes first??
Where are they?? :?

Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:10 pm

promiseland!
IT IS A WISH! A CHRISTMAS WISH FOR NEXT YEAR! IT'S A DREAM!
Even poor pityful me know about the long lost session tapes. But,........then again...... 8)

Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:35 pm

ElvisTheKid wrote:I know I've seen some from the 70s but how about the 50s and why can't everyday be like Christmas?

September 1957 outtake reels are apparently lost.

How Great Thou Art (FTD)
If Every Day Was Like Christmas - outtakes
- Take 1 vocal overdub/undubbed master
- Take 2 vocal overdub/undubbed master

Enjoy.

Sun Dec 02, 2012 4:47 pm

elvisonline

I bet that''s a hint that you have these, don't you Scott?? :lol: