Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: When It Rains session edited on A Boy From Tupelo?

Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:15 am

Bill Tanner wrote:
rjm wrote:If this does not reflect who he is, as indicated, but it had to be left off, then it's a little confusing.
rjm

You do 'confusing' rather well yourself, bud.

I'm not a "bud," bud. I'm a lady. Don't assume everyone is male. (Or I'll call the PC police on you. ;) )

Next, if something confuses you, why not ask what? I just meant, that if it's not coming out, it would have been better never to know about the edit in the first place, because then your imagination runs away with you. It's only natural. I'd rather it had never come up, but it has.

It may be no big deal, but more than one person knows, and said it was "offensive" in quotes, and so one is curious. I'd rather it had never emerged at all. If we can't hear the context, then it's better not to imagine all sorts of things.

Please ask for clarification, nicely. Bud.

------
To clarify, if only I knew exactly what to clarify, but I'll try. Ernst is in a position of trust: he's been invited into the private places of Elvis's life, places never meant to be heard or seen. And permitted to share it, but these are not master recordings, or even just outtakes. It's stuff that was literally "caught on tape" -- but in a setting thought to be small and private.

We ALL say things in a private contexts that would be entirely misunderstood in public. Sometimes we are very frank about the world we see around us, and use frank language to describe what we see that we would never post to Facebook or say in a restaurant. It could be just the OPPOSITE of a racist remark, in that event -- just describing what you are seeing in the news - or heard someone say, in a frank way, that is not appropriate to say in public. But this was either inspired by guys talking while working, and you hear chatter, a whoop, "talking-back" to Sam, etc. You hear laughing - Elvis laughing, and you know not at what. Mostly because you really can't hear all the chatter, or it's visual - somebody clowning, and you can't see it. Or it's an in-joke. Or we missed something, which I wish I never knew about.

Guys (and gals, sometimes) often laugh about rowdy or raunchy things, if you know what I mean. We can't know. And in this setting, we do not have the right to know. Only Ernst was invited in to the studio - not us, and he's in a position of trust, as is anyone who is invited to a group of people in a private setting. When you are at work, let's say you have an office, or a cubicle, you don't expect people you invite in your office to blab to the world everything you said privately in that little office. In fact, you expect to trust them. If they know you, they know what you meant, anyway. If they don't know you, anything can be misconstrued, and you wouldn't have spoken frankly in front of them. (You might say: "Mary Lou sure has a big bootie." You DON'T want Mary Lou to know you said that, or laughed about it; she might even take it in a "racial" way, or another wrong way.)

The Sun studio is a tiny place, and the only people who appear to have been there were Elvis, Scotty and Bill, plus Johnny Bonero, the temp drummer. Sam was in the booth. And Carl Perkins walked in; he was a Sun artist actively working at the time, but it did seem as though Elvis wasn't entirely comfortable with "company" there. "I don't know what I'm gonna do with Perkins here." So, it was a private setting.

We have no idea what he's laughing at, for instance, and some of the dialogue is indecipherable -- you can turn it as high as possible, and still not understand what is being said or by whom, at times. I just went over it, and over it.

rjm (I gotcha, Doc.)
Last edited by rjm on Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:31 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
ekenee wrote:It is unlikely anything would come of it.

I am very glad you will never have Ernst's job.

::rocks

You are such a huge hypocrit it is beyond comprehension.

Try keeping a consistant way of thinking.

You are all over the map "bud".

Do I need to list all the "offensive" stuff that Ernst left in?

Stop with your blind allegence to one who speak himself.
Ernst can speak for himself "bud".

May I remind you the this set was not on the main label and sold in limited numbers such booteg would.
Last edited by ekenee on Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:09 am

rjm wrote:I'm not a "bud," bud. I'm a lady.

You're a woman and posting on an Elvis Presly cd collectors message board?

I'll bet you have short hair and wear comfortable shoes then.

Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:16 am

Bill Tanner wrote:
rjm wrote:I'm not a "bud," bud. I'm a lady.

You're a woman and posting on an Elvis Presly cd collectors message board?

I'll bet you have short hair and wear comfortable shoes then.

You are correct! And you just said something "offensive," IF I GET YOUR MEANING. :mrgreen: :smt002

rjm (Notice to straight males: he has misconstrued! Check my Facebook "about" section!)
Last edited by rjm on Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:24 am

Everything's offensive these days. I shouldn't worry about it. We just go through life looking to be offended, it's like a new hobby for the terminally bored.

Why worry about real issues when we can just I-spy naughty words, eh?

I forgot how much I love it here.

Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:26 am

Bill Tanner wrote:Everything's offensive these days.

Yes, most especially this topic. ;-)

Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:35 am

Sorry I hurt your forum, mister.

Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:38 am

Censorship offends me.

Fri Nov 30, 2012 4:54 am

another thing u can say is she's playing for the other side.

Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:36 am

Bill Tanner wrote:Sorry I hurt your forum, mister.

I forgot how much I love it here.

Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:52 am

The "When It Rains, It Pours" session tape as released on "A Boy From Tupelo" is fascinating as a document of Sam Phillips working with Elvis, Scotty, Bill, and Johnny Bernero. If a few seconds of politically incorrect chatter was removed, it didn't keep me from enjoying what was released. I feel that I gained much more than was "lost" (if it can be called a loss). It is truly no big deal.

Fri Nov 30, 2012 8:32 am

What a sickening term, "PC"! Stories and history have been altered to be "PC". What a shame. After all, a turd is a turd and a duck is a duck. Call what you want, but it is what it is.

Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:21 pm

This doesn't bother me - I'm more upset about 'Promised Land' Take 1 not being on the FTD.
Now that was ridiculous.

Cheers, Piers

Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:31 pm

PiersEIN wrote:This doesn't bother me - I'm more upset about 'Promised Land' Take 1 not being on the FTD.
Now that was ridiculous.

Totally.

Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:01 pm

ritchie valens wrote:another thing u can say is she's playing for the other side.

I'm going to ignore that.

rjm (This thread is becoming an outlet for "offensivess" for kicks. You've had your fun. Session over, which is what Phillips did, for another reason.)

Sat Dec 01, 2012 1:56 am

Deke Rivers II wrote:What a sickening term, "PC"! Stories and history have been altered to be "PC". What a shame. After all, a turd is a turd and a duck is a duck. Call what you want, but it is what it is.

What stories and history have been changed to be "PC"?

Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:42 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Deke Rivers II wrote:What a sickening term, "PC"! Stories and history have been altered to be "PC". What a shame. After all, a turd is a turd and a duck is a duck. Call what you want, but it is what it is.

Aw, gee, that's easy. The "Pirates of the Caribbean" ride at Disneyland! ;)

They can't call 'em "wenches" or do rude stuff to the female animatronics things. I guess they're things. And they have cleaned up versions of Huckleberry Finn, but I think that's stopping, as people realize the importance of the story told as told. In context.

I don't like the misuse of the term: sensitivity is not censorship. And it has a history - the term, that was misused.

There is a difference btw legitimate sensitivity and respect, and just being prudish. And it's usually a judgment call.

rjm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:47 am

rjm wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Aw, gee, that's easy. The "Pirates of the Caribbean" ride at Disneyland!

They can't call 'em "wenches" or do rude stuff to the female animatronics things. I guess they're things. And they have cleaned up versions of Huckleberry Finn, but I think that's stopping, as people realize the importance of the story told as told. In context.

I don't like the misuse of the term: sensitivity is not censorship. And it has a history - the term, that was misused.

There is a difference btw legitimate sensitivity and respect, and just being prudish. And it's usually a judgment call.

rjm

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Someone has written a diatribe about a video on youtube which is a clip of the 1936 Show Boat, saying that the scene is racist. Which is the whole point of the scene. It's hard to make an anti-racism film without showing racism in action.

Sat Dec 01, 2012 12:18 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Jack and the beanstalk among others (my cousin forbid me to read the REAL Jack and The Beanstalk to her daughter, if I were to read her any fairytales they had to be the "PC" ones)......Pick up a modern history book being taught in some junior high schools these days and rea through it.

Sun Dec 02, 2012 2:14 pm

Deke Rivers II wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Jack and the beanstalk among others (my cousin forbid me to read the REAL Jack and The Beanstalk to her daughter, if I were to read her any fairytales they had to be the "PC" ones)......Pick up a modern history book being taught in some junior high schools these days and rea through it.

Jack and The Beanstalk is your sole example of history being changed?

OK, I get it, this is a wind-up. Ha-ha.