03 - Kentucky Rain
04 - Don't Cry Daddy
05 - Hey Jude
side 2
06 - Rubberneckin
07 - I'll Be There
08 - If I'm A Fool (For Loving You)
09 - Mama Liked The Roses
"Hey Jude" had been rejected in the first place and except for "If I'm A Fool (For Loving You)" and "I'll Be There" all other songs were released on 45's.

Re: Why was there no third album memphis 1969

Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:22 pm

Hey Jude, as it was, didn't deserve to be on any album. That leaves 4 tracks a side. And out of those 8 songs, there are some pretty sub-standard tracks compared to what was on the other two albums.

I think they were right to leave it at 2.

There have been numerous threads on alternate tracklistings for the '69 albums if you care to search for them.

Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:24 pm

Why not add the "It's My Way / This Time / I Can't Stop Loving You" rehearsal to it? That makes ten songs... :wink:

Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:28 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:
thermoking wrote:Why wasnt there no third album from the memphis 1969 sessions
Actually all the songs for a third album were there
And even Suspicious Minds was a hit record
when you look at the tracklisting it wasn't a bad album

side 1
01 - Suspicious Minds
02 - My Little Friend
03 - Kentucky Rain
04 - Don't Cry Daddy
05 - Hey Jude
side 2
06 - Rubberneckin
07 - I'll Be There
"Hey Jude" had been rejected in the first place and except for "If I'm A Fool (For Loving You)" and "I'll Be There" all other songs were released on 45's.

But on the other hand the 45 Clean Up Your Own back Yard/ The fair is Moving On" came out in 1969.
The album with The Fair is moving on came out in 1970.
The single Suspicious Minds was a Hit so there must be a potential for a good selling album.
instead we have all the songs on camden releases an hey Jude as a leftover on Elvis now in 1971
I think a thirt Memphis album was a good release. and a missed opportunity.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by thermoking on Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:29 pm

thermoking wrote:
luckyjackson1 wrote:

side 1
01 - Suspicious Minds
02 - My Little Friend
03 - Kentucky Rain
04 - Don't Cry Daddy
05 - Hey Jude
side 2
06 - Rubberneckin
07 - I'll Be There

But on the other hand the 45 Clean Up Your Own back Yard/ The fair is Moving On" came out in 1969 but the album with The Fair is moving on came out in 1970.
The single Suspicious Minds was a Hit so there must be a potential for a good selling album.
instead we have all the songs on camden releases an hey Jude as a leftover on Elvis now in 1971
I think a thirt Memphis album was a good release. and a missed opportunity.

Well, maybe it was. With the hit single "Suspicious Minds" included, it could have sold well aswell.

Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:35 pm

I like very much

01 - Suspicious Minds

03 - Kentucky Rain
04 - Don't Cry Daddy

side 2
06 - Rubberneckin
07 - I'll Be There
and even :

Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:43 pm

luckyjackson1 wrote:Why not add the "It's My Way / This Time / I Can't Stop Loving You" rehearsal to it? That makes ten songs... :wink:

With that it would have been pretty darn good.

Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:47 pm

Actually the whole policy of RCA from 1956 on was wrong. The first album was half filled with "old" SUN stuff. There only a few complete new released LP's through his carreer.
Like Elvis (second album), Elvis Is Back, From Elvis In Memphis, His Hand In Mine, How great Thou Art, TV Special, TTWII, Country, Love Letters among others. But there are too many albums released which actually are compilations.
Unfortunately no one ever wrote a book about the releases from RCA and how it would have worked out better in another way.

Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:07 pm

Why was there no third album memphis 1969

The same reason songs such as "Are You Lonesome Tonight" was only on a "Golden Records" compile LP.
RCA's marketing technique was to leave most of the top selling 45 rpm's off the LP's to increase the single sales. Just as the #1 charting "Suspicious Minds" (studio cut) never made it to LP until August of 1970 on the "Worldwide 50 Gold Award Hits Vol. 1"

Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:20 pm

I don't think a third album would have been a good idea, the second LP, brilliant as it was, still stands in the shadow of "From Elvis in Memphis". However, I do think that RCA could have done something better with the second Memphis LP, something like this:

Side one: 1) Suspicious Minds 2) Inherit The Wind 3) A Little Bit Of Green 4) And The Grass Won't Pay No Mind 5) I'll Be There 6) Kentucky Rain
Side two: 1) Stranger In My Own Hometown 2) Rubberneckin' 3) Do You Know Who I Am 4) You'll Think Of Me 5) Don't Cry Daddy 6) Without Love

Twelve tracks instead of ten, and all the singles on one great album. As it should have been! I know RCA often didn't include singles on albums - but it wasn't always like that, and their policy was changing around this time ("In The Ghetto" for example, and most of the 70's singles).

I've left out "This Is The Story" and "From A Jack To A King" but those aren't essential IMO and could have been used for b-sides. "Hey Jude" should have remained unreleased forever (or at least as long as Elvis was alive!), "If I'm A Fool" is pretty good, as is "My Little Friend" but I consider those unworthy of an "Elvis In Memphis"-album. I agree that the "This Time/I Can't Stop Loving You" medley is fabulous, but it wasn't really a master, more an informal recording, and it was the right decision to keep it in the can. "The Fair Is Moving On" is a song I like very much, but since it was the b-side of "Clean Up Your Own Backyard" I think it might be forgivable that I don't include it here ;-)

Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:32 pm

Hav-A-Tampa wrote:I don't think a third album would have been a good idea, the second LP, brilliant as it was, still stands in the shadow of "From Elvis in Memphis". However, I do think that RCA could have done something better with the second Memphis LP, something like this:

Side one: 1) Suspicious Minds 2) Inherit The Wind 3) A Little Bit Of Green 4) And The Grass Won't Pay No Mind 5) I'll Be There 6) Kentucky Rain
Side two: 1) Stranger In My Own Hometown 2) Rubberneckin' 3) Do You Know Who I Am 4) You'll Think Of Me 5) Don't Cry Daddy 6) Without Love

Twelve tracks instead of ten, and all the singles on one great album. As it should have been! I know RCA often didn't include singles on albums - but it wasn't always like that, and their policy was changing around this time ("In The Ghetto" for example, and most of the 70's singles).

I've left out "This Is The Story" and "From A Jack To A King" but those aren't essential IMO and could have been used for b-sides. "Hey Jude" should have remained unreleased forever (or at least as long as Elvis was alive!), "If I'm A Fool" is pretty good, as is "My Little Friend" but I consider those unworthy of an "Elvis In Memphis"-album. I agree that the "This Time/I Can't Stop Loving You" medley is fabulous, but it wasn't really a master, more an informal recording, and it was the right decision to keep it in the can. "The Fair Is Moving On" is a song I like very much, but since it was the b-side of "Clean Up Your Own Backyard" I think it might be forgivable that I don't include it here ;-)

::rocks

Who did the song selections for the lp's anyway, was it Felton or the colonel?

Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:00 pm

side 1
01 - Suspicious Minds
02 - My Little Friend
03 - Kentucky Rain
04 - Don't Cry Daddy
05 - Hey Jude
side 2
06 - Rubberneckin
07 - I'll Be There

What a smashing Camden LP it would have been those days! :)

Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:44 pm

side 1
01 - Suspicious Minds
02 - My Little Friend
03 - Kentucky Rain
04 - Don't Cry Daddy
05 - Hey Jude
side 2
06 - Rubberneckin
07 - I'll Be There

I don't think it would have been a good album of choice. That's basically the bottom of the barrel (minus Suspicious Minds, Kentucky Rain and Don't Cry Daddy) of the legendary American Sessions. Suspicious Minds should have been on the original From Elvis In Memphis album, though. It would have been a much more commercially successful album.

Fri Nov 30, 2012 9:22 am

thermoking wrote:The album with The Fair is moving on came out in 1970.

October 1969 >> http://www.elvisrecords.us/lsp-6020-fro ... o-memphis/

I've always thought it was odd that the song
was released on a single as "The Fair Is Moving On"
...yet was released on LP as "The Fair's Moving On".