Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

PFAP - Afternoon footage is incomplete!!!!

Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:46 am

"No footage has been retained for future use. Everything acquired by Sony is included here for your enjoyment" so reads the booklet notes of PFAP [page 47].

But a careful study of the YouTube uploads below [ignore the Nov. '72 YDHTSYLM insert], proves that we DO NOT see everything that was filmed on the afternoon of June 10, 1972.

There are large chunks of footage missing here [too numerous to mention] - including songs that are not featured at all on PFAP!

These include: Until It's Time For You To Go, You've Lost That Loving Feelin', Love Me, Funny How Time Slips Away and I Can't Stop Loving You.

And whilst the YouTube material is obviously from an x-generation source/s, and has been blown-up in parts [absent of the sprocket holes]; it is very similar to the Don Lance film [angles match too] that we see on PFAP.

So what print did Don Lance actually sell to Sony? As it is abundantly clear we are only seeing fractions of what was filmed at MSG.

Whatever the case, it requires an explanation.

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Last edited by elvisalisellers on Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Re: PFAP - Afternoon footage is not complete!!!!

Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:56 am

elvisalisellers wrote:"No footage has been retained for future use. Everything acquired by Sony is included here for your enjoyment" so reads the booklet notes of PFAP [page 47].

But a careful study of the YouTube uploads below [ignore the Nov. '72 YDHTSYLM insert], proves that we DO NOT see everything that was filmed from the camera of Don Lance on the afternoon of June 10, 1972.

There are large chunks of footage missing here [too numerous to mention] - including songs that are not featured at all on PFAP!

These include: Until It's Time For You To Go, You've Lost That Loving Feelin', Love Me, Funny How Time Slips Away and I Can't Stop Loving You.

And whilst the YouTube material is obviously from x-generation source/s and has been blown-up in parts [absent of the sprocket holes]; it is clearly the same Don Lance film [angles match too] that we see on PFAP.

So what print did Don Lance actually sell to Sony? As it is abundantly clear we are only seeing fractions of it on PFAP.

Whatever the case it requires an explanation.

phpBB [video]

I think this footage was shot by Phil Gelormine.

phpBB [video]

Re: PFAP - Afternoon footage is incomplete!!!!

Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:58 am

This has already been stated. I did a check myself and yes, footage is missing.
But I am glad you made a thread about this.
The explanation that is possible is that someone took the Lance footage and
spliced and edited it with other footage to make a more complete show.
But it sure looks like from the same angle.

Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:12 am

Maybe we're getting a Special Edition in 2022 featuring the complete Lance footage and newly mixed audio by Anesini.

Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:40 am

ekenee wrote:

Phil Gelormine has stated that he sat just a couple of rows behind Don Lance, so Phil's footage would be a very similar angle.

Axe

Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:46 am

Axeman wrote:
ekenee wrote:

Phil Gelormine has stated that he sat just a couple of rows behind Don Lance, so Phil's footage would be a very similar angle.

Axe

That could explain it right there.

Why didn't Sony contact Phil?

He probably would have different footage than what was on PFAP.

Oh the possibilities..

Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:42 am

Very interesting post thanks!~ :lol:

Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:46 pm

That;s why the 1972 New York Experience boot will continue to get more plays from me. All known footage is on there. Not in the same quality but it is obvious they cut the footage for real release. The dropped the ball on it.

Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:08 pm

I don't like to bragg about this release but if i may say my personal opinion about the afternoon show presented on the dvd i can say it was a big disappointment. How the hell can you watch one hour to a black screen with here and there a few seconds Elvis. It started hopefull with That's All Right, the trouble started with Proud Mary. After this song i picked my remote and speeded it up till the next fragment. I don't think i ever watch it again cause of the amount of missing pieces.
Again in the bootleg wolrd there are more complete versions available. OK the best part is the full colors and quality of the material, the bootleg stuff is very bleech and colorless.
And the Hilton Interview is not complete eighter. I like the documentary tough.
What leaves over is a very nice produced product with a nice booklet, nice design cover, two very good concerts in very pleasing sound. A minor is the way how the show visually is presented.

Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:14 pm

So it's now up to "Star" or someone else to make a more complete version using all possible elements..................with NO black screen! :x

Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:17 pm

philobeddo wrote:I don't like to bragg about this release but if i may say my personal opinion about the afternoon show presented on the dvd i can say it was a big disappointment. How the hell can you watch one hour to a black screen with here and there a few seconds Elvis. It started hopefull with That's All Right, the trouble started with Proud Mary. After this song i picked my remote and speeded it up till the next fragment. I don't think i ever watch it again cause of the amount of missing pieces.
Again in the bootleg wolrd there are more complete versions available. OK the best part is the full colors and quality of the material, the bootleg stuff is very bleech and colorless.
What leaves over is a very nice produced product with a nice booklet, nice design cover, two very good concerts in very pleasing sound. A minor is the way how the show visually is presented.

They could have used a slideshow of live shots from the show to fill the blanks, but, acquiring rights to all the miscellaneous shots here and there, would get deep in Sony's pocket, and therefor, cause the price to escalate to the point of sending people in the direction of the Legacy release instead.

Hope this helps.

Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:34 pm

promised land,
Thanks, yes it would be to expensive in every way. At least i'm glad with the set as a whole thing. Very nice design, good shows and good mixed sound. I take the show(dvd) for granted.

Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:44 pm

promiseland wrote:
philobeddo wrote:I don't like to bragg about this release but if i may say my personal opinion about the afternoon show presented on the dvd i can say it was a big disappointment. How the hell can you watch one hour to a black screen with here and there a few seconds Elvis. It started hopefull with That's All Right, the trouble started with Proud Mary. After this song i picked my remote and speeded it up till the next fragment. I don't think i ever watch it again cause of the amount of missing pieces.

They could have used a slideshow of live shots from the show to fill the blanks, but, acquiring rights to all the miscellaneous shots here and there, would get deep in Sony's pocket, and therefor, cause the price to escalate to the point of sending people in the direction of the Legacy release instead.

Hope this helps.

I agree thats the way to go, i must admit to feeling deflated at the thought of the FULL audio with only snippets of Elvis, man that really sucked !
but i guess for the final price we shouldnt complain ? too much !

Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:18 pm

The fact that a key song like Trilogy has a complete ending available on the footage posted here but is incomplete on PFAP (right at the big finish where the screen goes black IIRC) means we're missing out. Ernst and the guys would no doubt have known about this alternative footage but must have been unable to come to a deal or were otherwise unable to get a good enough source. Whatever the reason it leaves a huge gap in the market for someone like STAR to come along (whatever your feelings about bootlegs may be) and provide a more complete and potentially satisfying video of the show.

Thu Nov 29, 2012 3:56 am

Mike Eder wrote:That;s why the 1972 New York Experience boot will continue to get more plays from me. All known footage is on there. Not in the same quality but it is obvious they cut the footage for real release. The dropped the ball on it.

Is this a real DVD or DVD-R? I have heard both ways on this.

Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:47 am

ekenee wrote:
Mike Eder wrote:That;s why the 1972 New York Experience boot will continue to get more plays from me. All known footage is on there. Not in the same quality but it is obvious they cut the footage for real release. The dropped the ball on it.

My copy is a DVD-R.

Thu Nov 29, 2012 8:52 am

Axeman wrote:Phil Gelormine has stated that he sat just a couple of rows behind Don Lance, so Phil's footage would be a very similar angle.

This is a significant point.

Making sweeping assumptions about the footage Sony acquired from Don Lance is absurd and unfair, especially if the "missing" footage actually belongs to someone else. And until the ownership of the other footage can be verified, the declarations are unfounded.

Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:03 am

Mike Eder wrote:
ekenee wrote:

My copy is a DVD-R.

My copy is not DVD-R....it´s real silver disc...but my blu-ray is BD-R

Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:06 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Axeman wrote:Phil Gelormine has stated that he sat just a couple of rows behind Don Lance, so Phil's footage would be a very similar angle.

This is a significant point.

Making sweeping assumptions about the footage Sony acquired from Don Lance is absurd and unfair, especially if the "missing" footage actually belongs to someone else. And until the ownership of the other footage can be verified, the declarations are unfounded.

I was more than happy to see the footage in such good quality,and at such a good price
Thanks to the people who put this excellent package together