Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

The Imperials Opening Act TTWII

Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:46 pm

For those who have not seen this footage from TTWII...The Imperials perform "A Thing Called Love" & "The Other Side" right before Elvis goes onstage. This was from August 12th, 1970 midnight show if I'm not mistaken.

phpBB [video]

Re: The Imperials Opening Act TTWII

Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:54 am

Somehow i liked On The Other Side its quite a good uptempo gospel song. I wished on TTWII they also had picked atleast 1 pre-show opening song. as if the people watching it are actually watching a elvis concert.

Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:59 am

Johnny2523 wrote:Somehow i liked On The Other Side its quite a good uptempo gospel song. I wished on TTWII they also had picked atleast 1 pre-show opening song. as if the people watching it are actually watching a elvis concert.

I totally agree with ya Johnny - With all the footage that Mgm owns thay could easily compile a whole concert of TTWII -At least with one appearance - Mind You - MGM filmed shows - 6 Shows during - August Summer Festival . The Imperials Opening Is Gr8 As Well As The Other Side
- Love It .
::rocks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Nov 29, 2012 12:24 am

Johnny2523 wrote:Somehow i liked On The Other Side its quite a good uptempo gospel song. I wished on TTWII they also had picked atleast 1 pre-show opening song. as if the people watching it are actually watching a elvis concert.

That wasn't the plan for the MGM documentary, and no way would management have allowed it.

Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:19 pm

Really enjoyed that, thanks for posting.
Somehow the instrumentation during 'The Other Side' reminded me somewhat of the studio numbers from the 68 special.
Good way to build up the anticipation for Elvis' arrival on-stage (not that it would take much!)

Thu Nov 29, 2012 7:33 pm

It would have to be edited to "look & sound" exciting. In all the shows I ever attended the audience response to any opening act was mild at best. Cordial but mild. It did not matter if it was the Sweets. Stamps, Kahane or The Hot Hilton Horns- all were mildly greeted and clearly not what the audience wanted. The anticipation and excitement started the second the lights went down after intermission and the build to 2001 started. The whole event escalated to fever pitch immediately at that point. You could actually feel it.

If placed on a DVD you would watch it once then kip the chapters upon further viewing. Going thru editing and performance clearance (song rights etc) wouldn't be worth it on an official release. The idea will no doubt show up some future unauthorized release.

Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:16 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:

That wasn't the plan for the MGM documentary, and no way would management have allowed it.

So, let me understand you correctly then, everything else in the movie was the plan, and
management approved?

Glaring example: Fanclub meeting in Belguim I believe. Guy on stage doing a horrible rendition of "Tigerman".

They allowed that to be in the movie, and not one of the Imperials songs??

Am I following ya correctly there ?

Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:33 am

ekenee wrote:So, let me understand you correctly then, everything else in the movie was the plan, and management approved?

Yup.

Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:55 am

Nice post, thanks very much. Of all the groups Elvis had supporting him, I liked The Imperials the best. Gosh Elvis and the Imperials sound so good together. Too bad they weren't with him longer.

rlj

Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:11 am

rlj4ep wrote:Nice post, thanks very much. Of all the groups Elvis had supporting him, I liked The Imperials the best. Gosh Elvis and the Imperials sound so good together. Too bad they weren't with him longer.

I agree. After the Imperials left in September 1971, the Presley show arrangements involving the quartet sound changed, and not for the better.