Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

The Changing Face of Elvis ?

Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:16 pm

Just wondered what ur thoughts were on how many "different" Elvis looks we have over the years, styles, hair, clothing, so hard to visualise just one Elvis in ur head !
When u think of Sinatra, or Dean Martin, or many other Vegas legends u see just 1 maybe 2 images in ur head, not with Elvis , so much Elvis in so little time.
In a slightly diff vein, take a look at these time dated shots of Elvis from 77, as u follow the shows u can actually see his decline, or in some shows where he looked quite healthy ......

http://www.elvis-foreveryone.com/elvis- ... l-1977.php

Re: The Changing Face of Elvis ?

Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:53 pm

I recall those images at the time, and he really looked bad, unhealthy and far from "the Elvis I used to know". How sad. He really took care of business, and the business took his life.
Looking overweight is one thing, but when you see him in some of these shots one wonders why no one stepped up and held him back. But, how can you protect a man from himself) :(

Re: The Changing Face of Elvis ?

Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:27 pm

he definantly looks his worse on feb 12th..I'm glad he didn't look like THAT for EIC... :|

Re: The Changing Face of Elvis ?

Tue Nov 27, 2012 8:30 pm

agree, it's astounding how much he altered day -by- day......

Re: The Changing Face of Elvis ?

Tue Nov 27, 2012 9:41 pm

debtd1 wrote:agree, it's astounding how much he altered day -by- day......

I like it

Re: The Changing Face of Elvis ?

Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:22 pm

Elvisgirl wrote:
debtd1 wrote:agree, it's astounding how much he altered day -by- day......

I like it

:smt017

Re: The Changing Face of Elvis ?

Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:05 am

I think they used one of those FEB 12 shots in our papers the day he died ? man they tried real hard to find the worst they could, but i recall thinking i cant believe this is really Elvis, cos we hadnt seen many shots of him for years so it was a real shock .....

Re: The Changing Face of Elvis ?

Wed Nov 28, 2012 12:16 am

JimmyCool wrote:
Elvisgirl wrote:
debtd1 wrote:agree, it's astounding how much he altered day -by- day......

I like it

:smt017

:?:

Re: The Changing Face of Elvis ?

Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:21 am

dennyelvis wrote:I think they used one of those FEB 12 shots in our papers the day he died ? man they tried real hard to find the worst they could, but i recall thinking i cant believe this is really Elvis, cos we hadnt seen many shots of him for years so it was a real shock .....

........................................................................................................................
They did denny elvis esp In The Sun Newspaper In Uk I Recall

He sure looked sick during that Show On Feb 12th 77 - Unrecognisable By Any Means - But Still Regarded As King Of Rock 4Ever -By All Means -
Amen -
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: The Changing Face of Elvis ?

Wed Nov 28, 2012 1:44 am

let's face it.......typical of The Sun....pratts :smt068 :smt068 :smt068 :smt068

Re: The Changing Face of Elvis ?

Wed Nov 28, 2012 2:07 am

debtd1 wrote:let's face it.......typical of The Sun....pratts :smt068 :smt068 :smt068 :smt068


It was a news story, and they ran with it. Those pics weren't seen at the time, so they had the shock value - and shock value equals sales.

You have to remember thousands of people saw Elvis looking like that on that February tour, so you have to assume that damage had already been done - and if Elvis didn't want to be seen in that shape, well he shouldn't have gone on stage in that shape.

It sounds harsh, but...

Re: The Changing Face of Elvis ?

Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:33 am

Not a show of decline, but I noticed a change in "Live a Little, Love a Little". I can't fully explain it, but there was just a sudden difference in his face. Maybe it was a slight change in weight.

Re: The Changing Face of Elvis ?

Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:13 am

IMO, he was actually looking better by the time of those shows in June than in the February shots....It looked as if he was beginning to lose some of the weight and the jowls were beginning to diminish.

We go from this in February:
Image
Image

to June:
Image
Image

It's not like we were back to '56 Elvis or '60 just out of the army Elvis, but a dramatic improvement, at least facially...Sad that he was actually starting to look better just before he died.

It's like Jim Morrison; If you go look at a picture of Jim from around September 1970, he's the "heavyset, depressed looking, bearded Jim" in decline...But in photos taken in 28th June 1971, five days before he died, he's cleanshaven, looks slim, smiling, healthy--Not a man that you'd expect would be dead less than a week later.

Re: The Changing Face of Elvis ?

Wed Nov 28, 2012 7:43 am

He looked like he deflated by Feb 20th from Feb 12th. Pretty amazing change in just 8 days!

Re: The Changing Face of Elvis ?

Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:01 am

Errol Flynn wrote:IMO, he was actually looking better by the time of those shows in June than in the February shots....It looked as if he was beginning to lose some of the weight and the jowls were beginning to diminish.

We go from this in February:
Image
Image

to June:
Image
Image

It's not like we were back to '56 Elvis or '60 just out of the army Elvis, but a dramatic improvement, at least facially...Sad that he was actually starting to look better just before he died.

It's like Jim Morrison; If you go look at a picture of Jim from around September 1970, he's the "heavyset, depressed looking, bearded Jim" in decline...But in photos taken in 28th June 1971, five days before he died, he's cleanshaven, looks slim, smiling, healthy--Not a man that you'd expect would be dead less than a week later.


Yes, just before he died, he did look almost "normal." He was riddled with problems, particularly with the colon problem, and related things, but somehow he looked better. Most people have seen him in the car, the night before he died. But there's another photo, and it's in the Lanskys' book "Clothier To The King," and he's wearing a warm coat (seemingly in summer), and he looks fine. He actually looks fine.

They say it's a "Rabbit Coat." It's multicolor.

Now, perhaps the photo is misdated. (Wish I could scan it in, but I just can't right now.) Anyway, he looks a bit like he did the night he died, excepting that warm coat. I think the caption notes the nature of the coat, but I can't remember exactly. I just know he looked ok.

And this is dated very soon before he died, after the tour. We know that he still had the problems, because they were seen after he passed, on examination, but somehow he looked okay.

As soon as I can, I'll scan that one in. As I said, it's a furry coat, and it does not look like it should be worn in summer, but is dated as such. And I don't think he looked like that in the real winter. He's grinning his little grin, sweetly, and lifts his hand gently to wave at the camera. It's really sad, because he looked like . . . Elvis again. And then he was gone.

:(

rjm

Re: The Changing Face of Elvis ?

Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:46 am

I recall those images just before he died and as some have stated already, he really didn't look bad at all. While into it, I think Elvis never looked better than during Stay Away Joe, LALLAL, The Troube With Girls, Charro and Change Of Habit. Not least during the NBC TV Special and august 1969 through august 1970.