Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Elvis' scarves

Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:45 pm

A little query, on the back of the FTD digipack of 'America' there's a picture of Elvis wearing one of his trademark giveaway scarves or is it? I don't know much about his stage wear like a lot of fans here might, and I skipped 'Fashion for a King', but do my eyes deceive me or does this scarf have a reversed Presley signature on it (to the right of the picture half way up)? I just assumed these were just generic plain white scarves that were given away (I realise this is a light blue one!) so did they all have his signature on as a trademark, official kind of thing or is this just some kind of anomaly scarf/picture. Sorry if this common knowledge and I know it won't change the world, I'm just curious, that's all...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Elvis' scarves

Sun Jan 20, 2013 6:48 pm

IIRC the sarves Elvis gave away had no signature on it to distinguish them for the ones you could buy at the souvenir stands..
it could be that the fan handed such a scarf to Elvis and he blessed it then.. :wink:

Sun Jan 20, 2013 7:02 pm

Ah, I see. Didn't think of that! Thank you for the quick reply!

Sun Jan 20, 2013 9:37 pm

That (no print on the scarves worn by Elvis) maybe true in the beginning, but in the latter years Elvis did wear scarves that had the pre printed elvis presley on them.
You can see this on several photos of Elvis wearing scarves.
The fact that it's not visible on others is the location of the print and the way the scarf was folded.

The explanation for why the elvis presley on this photo is reversed is because the photo is reversed.
Copy the photo and do a horizontal flip and you get the photo the way it was taken.

edit:
if this photo was printed like this on an FTD then I call that a lousy DTP job.

Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:24 pm

The quality of the scarves also seemed to change. The one's he wore in Elvis On Tour and Aloha look like silk. The later ones like in EIC look like cheap satin or rayon.

Sun Jan 20, 2013 10:25 pm

I have one from 1975 and it has NO signature.

Sun Jan 20, 2013 11:07 pm

Charlie Hodge and Dick Grob suckered me into buying a scarf for $40 that Elvis would have used had he lived. :roll:
Their claim was that the scarves were made for his 1977 tour in August and they were selling them at the lowest possible cost. I was an impressionable 13-year old and this was at an Elvis Convention in Sacramento, CA in 1979. And $40 was a lot of money to a 13-year old in 1979!

No pre-printed Elvis signature. Just Charlie Hodge's and Dick Grob's.

Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:56 pm

I have one my aunt received in Las Vegas, August 6, 1972 and it has no signature on it.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:17 am

I managed to get one (for my mother) in Philly on June 28, 1976. It has what appears to be a pre-printed signature.

rlj

Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:29 am

The ones before 1973 or so don't have a preprint.
I have one from a lady who personally got it from Elvis in Vegas Dec 76. I have folded it back to it's original shape and has a distinct yellowing around the neck from the sweat. It has a preprint.
Also you are correct. The earlier scarves were satin, real soft. Also very nicely stitched.
The latter ones are rayon and have a sheen on one side. Their stitching differs.
In 1974 you have the rounded corner scarves, they are also the ones with the Hilton logo.

And that photo shown clearly shows the preprint on a scarf worn by Elvis.
There are litterally around 40,000 scarves (I made an estimate once). They were not produced in a single batch or single company.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 1:03 am

another picture of Elvis wearing a preprint scarf is in Life of Elvis (Sean Shaver) page 194. Maybe the scarf is just see through. And perhaps the ftd picture is correct as it is.
The preprint on this one also is reversed. And definitely correct looking at the logo on the drums. And more of the same scarf on page 205.

Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:19 pm

I have a friend who has 25 scarfs , starting from 72 to 77. all of them handed to her by Elvis. All of them have the signature.

Wed Jan 23, 2013 12:24 am

Thanks to everybody who replied, I had never noticed the scarf signature before and have been enlightened by all your comments!!
Thanks again for your time...

Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:53 am

eligain wrote:The quality of the scarves also seemed to change. The one's he wore in Elvis On Tour and Aloha look like silk. The later ones like in EIC look like cheap satin or rayon.

I was told by an Elvis memorabilia dealer back in the late 80's that in '71 and '72 the scarves were of very high quality, as you say probably silk, and in these concerts not that many scarves were used,but by '76/'77 they were indeed made of much cheaper fabrics.
The dealer told me that this was Col. Parker's idea as he was unhappy with the number of scarves that were being thrown into the crowd by this time and thought it was wasting money having so many expensive scarves made. I have no way of knowing if there is any truth in this but it sounds like Parker to me alrite.

Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:44 pm

Ciscoking wrote:IIRC the sarves Elvis gave away had no signature on it to distinguish them for the ones you could buy at the souvenir stands..
it could be that the fan handed such a scarf to Elvis and he blessed it then.. :wink:

'he blessed it'
!!

Religion : Call protection, the blessing of God.

More generally, in everyday life, the term 'bless' is synonymous with "vow" or "agreement."

Optionally, you can say 'Elvis blessed'

Thu Jan 24, 2013 3:49 pm

Elvis2001.net wrote:I have a friend who has 25 scarfs , starting from 72 to 77. all of them handed to her by Elvis. All of them have the signature.

I agree with you ,Joe, my best friend Chantal Dambremont (Namur Belgium) has also received some scarf Vegas. They are all signed.