Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Let's Help the New Prince From Another Planet Release!!

Tue Nov 27, 2012 10:46 am

Just read this on elvismatters!

In it's second week of release PRINCE drops out of the Official UK Chart Top 100 Albums. We are now of the opinion that SONY have given up on marketing Elvis to the general public and in future will concentrate on low production high quality products e.g. YOUNG MAN WITH THE BIG BEAT; A BOY FROM TUPELO; and PRINCE FROM ANOTHER PLANET. It would appear that within 5 years there will be no CD's being manufactured and that if fans do not wish to download new releases then they will have to go without. Personally we are of the old school and much prefer hard copies with booklets etc. Downloading has not helped the Elvis world one bit. Much will depend on the loyalty of Elvis fans and the work of official Elvis stores like ShopElvisMatters.com

Source: Elvismatters.com

Re: Let's Help the New Prince From Another Planet Release!!

Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:30 pm

Since it's like finding a needle in a hay stack in the major outlets here in the USA, it is not a surprise it's off the charts so soon. Without ordering it online I wouldn't have it.

Sony didn't seem to distribute many copies mainstream.
Without great forums such as FECC most would probably never even know it was out there.

Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:27 pm

promiseland wrote:Since it's like finding a needle in a hay stack in the major outlets here in the USA, it is not a surprise it's off the charts so soon. Without ordering it online I wouldn't have it.

Sony didn't seem to distribute many copies mainstream.
Without great forums such as FECC most would probably never even know it was out there.

i agree, i read few weeks ago this release was only limited to 5,000 copies

Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:46 pm

The HMVs here in Dublin got in a few of the Legacy Release but even they cant be found now!
Tower Records had a few PFAP. The fact is as Elvis Matters say, most E fans want cds and booklets not downloads. We need to start a petition and send it to Sony!!

Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:57 pm

I think it's time the major labels seriously deal with audiophile downloads. Lossless format.

The IPod Classic should be reworked for this purpose. Strictly for music product, including digi booklets and special bonus video. But no non-music junk. Wifi sync. Largest possible capacity for a small player. Little solid state drive perhaps with mondo capacity.

Compatible with ALL lossless formats.

Let people put MP3s on their phones. But this would be for music only. Real music.

In other words, people should be able to download something like this set, in full form, with all the bells and whistles.

rjm
Last edited by rjm on Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

Tue Nov 27, 2012 2:12 pm

As I've posted before who cares what position it reaches....it was only ever likely to appeal to a relatively small number of die-hard fans in any case (imo) and from the stories we hear about distribution and stock levels on this and other threads, it would appear that retailers agree.

The Legacy version is the one aimed at the general public....who might well end up less than impressed with the incomplete press conference and grainy concert material, not to mention the unimaginative 'blank screen' presentation of the DVD from the box set.

Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:20 am

I bought all those copies of Afternoon At The Garden, trying to keep that on the charts. :D

Wed Nov 28, 2012 5:40 am

stevelecher wrote:I bought all those copies of Afternoon At The Garden, trying to keep that on the charts. :D

Me too, without knowing what they had planned! Ah, well. I still a copy that is unopened, in the original wrap. I don't know where to give it away: CHOC said it takes children's books, but not music, even it's happy music (that older kids would enjoy). Maybe I'll try Orangewood Children's Home; at Christmas, they ask for gifts for teenagers, and there must be some who would enjoy this CD.

Meanwhile, the Deluxe set will be coming down the chimney on the 24th! (That's why I'm trying not to read the reviews; I want to be as surprised as possible!)

I am serious about how the labels should deal with the changes in music: people are downloading a LOT of it, and they don't like cables, and with some of the newer computers, they cannot import, because there is no drive. (That will remain a choice for a while, I think, but eventually, it will not.)

When the time comes when computers do not have CD/DVD/Blu-Ray drives, what are music lovers to do, exactly, when wanting to take their music on the go, and store it? The solution of which I speak is the ONLY solution! Some say that the compressed files are "good enough and you cannot tell the difference." And that it is not necessary to have so much music on a single player. NONSENSE! There will be plenty of people who want real music, and will always want it, in the highest fidelity. While visual formats continue to improve to the highest possible definitions, music lovers are expected to "settle." This is totally unnecessary. (BTW, the digital booklets could be specially formatted pdf files, specifically to fit the small screens of players. Just as all artwork shrunk for CDs.)

rjm
P.S. -- If you've had problems with pdf files on a portable device, that's because it is not formatted for such a device. I have started experimenting with reformatting, so that I get large print, appropriate images, all formatted for a more compact display. It's not rocket science.