Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

"Elvis Presley" LP 2008 legacy edition

Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:30 pm

I have noticed some disruptive out of tuned sounds on my vinyl stereo reissue from 2008. It's barely audible, but I can hear it from time to time on Scotty's guitar. Elvis's vocal is consistenly perfect. Strange. Any idea what causes this? The stereo mix? Bad, worn out original master? The remastering process? I don't have the original LP's to compare with, but it's not audible on any of cd's I have.

Re: "Elvis Presley" LP 2008 legacy edition

Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:32 pm

egilj wrote:I have noticed some disruptive out of tuned sounds on my vinyl stereo reissue from 2008. It's barely audible, but I can hear it from time to time on Scotty's guitar. Elvis's vocal is consistenly perfect. Strange. Any idea what causes this? The stereo mix? Bad, worn out original master? The remastering process? I don't have the original LP's to compare with, but it's not audible on any of cd's I have.

It can't be the stereo mix. It's in mono.

Tue Nov 27, 2012 12:40 pm

Could be the tape source that was used, sometimes there is bleed-through when the reels have sat for long periods of time this happens when the tape reels bleeds on to the tape just under it, then that one under the next, as it's wound around the reel (similar how a wet piece of paper bleeds through to the sheet underneath). This can be heard on "C'mon Everybody" from The "Viva Las Vegas" FTD, where the effect is like a repeating echo sound.
Being a mono tape it may effect the guitar or mid areas more noticeably.

Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:02 pm

promiseland wrote:Could be the tape source that was used, sometimes there is bleed-through when the reels have sat for long periods of time this happens when the tape reels bleeds on to the tape just under it, then that one under the next, as it's wound around the reel (similar how a wet piece of paper bleeds through to the sheet underneath). This can be heard on "C'mon Everybody" from The "Viva Las Vegas" FTD, where the effect is like a repeating echo sound.
Being a mono tape it may effect the guitar or mid areas more noticeably.

Great answer

Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:05 pm

The pressing is said not to be the best nor the mastering. When I saw how much they butchered the cover I knew it wouldn't be all that great. Hopefully Friday Music will do a real analog transfer of all of Elvis' fifties music. The 1984 mono LP though not all analog either sounds pretty decent.

Wed Nov 28, 2012 4:13 am

Also depends on what tape source is used.wonder if the actual 1956 lp master tape used for the orignal lp pressings exists in good cond.or are they using digtal crap copy tape.

Wed Nov 28, 2012 6:29 pm

Thank you for replies everybody!