Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

New To Me Footage, from EOT

Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:30 am

I'm sure many of you own this, but I just stumbled upon it. It's from the enormous quantity of potential "bonus material" that could be on an expansive EOT release.

And it's depressing as he**. I suppose there are many "excuses": it was only done for the film (and wasn't used), he was bored with the material (so why do it, much less rehearse it?), or uh, I don't know. It was only about 18 months since TTWII.

The only decent thing here is "Hound Dog" as a down-in-the-mouth blues, which fits the mood well.

phpBB [video]

Perhaps releasing a lot of such material on an expansive release might not be the greatest idea, after all. I don't know.

rjm

Re: New To Me Footage, from EOT

Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:33 am

That piece of footage can be found on the STAR DVD "Through My Eyes" & "Live Live Live"

Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:43 am

TCB-FAN wrote:That piece of footage can be found on the STAR DVD "Through My Eyes".

What do you think about it? Everybody wants more, more EOT, but . . . man. This is pretty sad.

rjm

Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:57 am

How is it sad? It's a staged rehearsal...nothing to get excited about and Elvis is not excited, but he sounds fine.

Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:34 am

RonBaker2003 wrote:How is it sad? It's a staged rehearsal...nothing to get excited about and Elvis is not excited, but he sounds fine.

He's very observably bored, mumbling, not at all interested in what he's doing. The vocals just drop to the floor, and stay there. There are no noticeable laughs, no joy at all. And the songs are dull as dishwater, and he needn't have actually rehearsed them. He definitely wants to be somewhere else. I know, I know: he was recently separated from his wife. A lot of great music has, over the years, come as the result of relationship troubles, so that really doesn't cut it. (People get offended if you suggest anything might be physically wrong. So I won't.)

But does this remind anyone of the guy in TTWII? Is this the same guy? (Well, it is. But you'd never know it.)

rjm

Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:07 am

It always looked to me that the filmmakers were hoping to recapture lightning in a bottle by filming a fun and laid back Elvis during rehearsals like in TTWII. Obviously, not the same results.

What always bothered me in this clip was how he throws the band under the bus making it look like they flubbed up their cue during "Love Me." It's Elvis himself who gets lost and doesn't realize where he is in the song. The band was completely right in their cue, waiting for Elvis' usual ending "Ohh.. Ohhh yeahhhh...." at the end. But Elvis--not realizing where he was in the song--decides to do one more verse. And he looks like an ass by correcting the band when it was his flub.

Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:48 am

and here is another reason why Turner would not want to invest a lot of money on a On Tour special edition. a lot of the outtakes are out on youtube!!!! making the chance of making their money back even smaller.

Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:50 am

You said it- utterly joyless. You have wonder where his head was at. Phenomenal songbook plus an encyclopedic knowledge of gospel, rhythm and blues and country yet from 71 on he was lost musically. Obviously the drugs sapped a large piece of his vitality. He sedated himself by playing the role of Elvis Presley until it was to late. The vegas revamping of the show in 75 i believe which lasted for a night was the final blow in the long journey of down. It confirmed what he knew from 72 on- he was an oldies act and people just had to hear hound dog. Loved the crowd and adulation and needed the money so he took the easy way instead of finding passion from what he did. But mostly it was the drugs that consumed him-that and bad management and a worse a&r,team which provided no direction. As he said, eff'n vegas.

Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:15 am

Justin wrote:It always looked to me that the filmmakers were hoping to recapture lightning in a bottle by filming a fun and laid back Elvis during rehearsals like in TTWII. Obviously, not the same results.

They had every right to expect it. I think, though, as filmmakers, they realized they had a better story.

Justin wrote:What always bothered me in this clip was how he throws the band under the bus making it look like they flubbed up their cue during "Love Me." It's Elvis himself who gets lost and doesn't realize where he is in the song. The band was completely right in their cue, waiting for Elvis' usual ending "Ohh.. Ohhh yeahhhh...." at the end. But Elvis--not realizing where he was in the song--decides to do one more verse. And he looks like an ass by correcting the band when it was his flub.

That may sound harsh, but it's true. And at certain points, he tries to grin his way out of it. Just a little. A few of the singers did act like doormats, pretty consistently. Not all, though. I can hear him cuss under his breath at the Sweets, because he doesn't hear them. And then he sort of realizes that he shouldn't be saying that -- for Elvis, chivalry was not dead, and the general impression is that he doesn't realize a lot of what's going on, who he's talking to, or about what. He partly cares, and partly doesn't care at all.

rjm

Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:22 am

I think the reason he looks bored here is because he is singing the fifties medley. he was bored of that. He would have been more committed here if he was singing Mountian etc. When he was singing the 50's medley in the TTWII outtake he does not look exactly thrilled either.

Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:32 am

He seems a bit depressed in this outtake footage as well as slightly medicated on downers.

Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:40 am

Let's not be too harsh, of all the footage shot for On Tour this is the worst by a long shot. There's plenty of great rehearsal and concert footage both in the original film and the outtakes. Yes he already didn't care about the songs in this clip, but his shows still had a lot of verve and he was coming off a recording session that was solid with several classic recordings emergeing. TTWII had him at a healthier and happier stage in his life, but On Tour is a lot more exciting than Aloha to me. Besides Heartbreak Hotel isn't so bad. Not denying Elvis should have dropped the songs alltogether if he didn't like them, but we can read too much into this stuff too.

Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:16 am

DEH wrote:and here is another reason why Turner would not want to invest a lot of money on a On Tour special edition. a lot of the outtakes are out on youtube!!!! making the chance of making their money back even smaller.

Damn that youtube !

Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:26 am

I have seen worse footage ,i like this

Mon Nov 26, 2012 10:54 am

There's also the fact that he had recently seperated from his wife, maybe that's why he looks so depressed?

Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:08 pm

we can't expect him to be 'on' when its a rehearsal.......but on the other hand, the cameras were rolling

he is in a much different emotional place than TTWII, the boredom had truly set in as well as Cilla walking out. He needed a kick up the butt to be honest

Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:18 pm

Man, over 30 years after he is gone people sit on the internet and analyze every move he did. We all know that the downward spiral started in the early seventies, so what's the big deal? Yes, he probably was depressed because of Cilla, yes, he probably was on medication, yes, he was bored with those songs. Why still analyze it?
Somebody mentioned 'Mountain' here...do you honestly mean that Elvis should sing his heart out doing songs like that in a jamsession like this?? So we could sit here on the internet watching it and be happy over 30 years after the man is gone?

What's really annoying is that when I see a clip like this I get flashback to some shitty ETA's. I really do hate them.

Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:10 pm

Xaykev wrote:Man, over 30 years after he is gone people sit on the internet and analyze every move he did. We all know that the downward spiral started in the early seventies, so what's the big deal? Yes, he probably was depressed because of Cilla, yes, he probably was on medication, yes, he was bored with those songs. Why still analyze it?
Somebody mentioned 'Mountain' here...do you honestly mean that Elvis should sing his heart out doing songs like that in a jamsession like this?? So we could sit here on the internet watching it and be happy over 30 years after the man is gone?

What's really annoying is that when I see a clip like this I get flashback to some shitty ETA's. I really do hate them.

THIS
he was a human being, he had feelings. he had the right to be depressed and bored like everyone else. or maybe he was having a bad day, I don't know. I don't understand how people can judge by this footage that he was medicated. I don't see it...maybe he was, maybe he wasn't, I don't know, because I can't see it. sometimes it seems that people say he was drugged just because they want to say it, or they want to see it

Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:51 am

Elvisgirl wrote:
Xaykev wrote:Man, over 30 years after he is gone people sit on the internet and analyze every move he did. We all know that the downward spiral started in the early seventies, so what's the big deal? Yes, he probably was depressed because of Cilla, yes, he probably was on medication, yes, he was bored with those songs. Why still analyze it?

THIS
he was a human being, he had feelings. he had the right to be depressed and bored like everyone else. or maybe he was having a bad day, I don't know. I don't understand how people can judge by this footage that he was medicated. I don't see it...maybe he was, maybe he wasn't, I don't know, because I can't see it. sometimes it seems that people say he was drugged just because they want to say it, or they want to see it

True. What I'd like to see is the footage cleaned up and included with additional unseen footage for a blu ray SE ELVIS ON TOUR DVD

Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:29 am

they could release eot on bluray , with the correct johnny be goode open , and add the best outtakes as a 2nd dvd making a nice 2 dvd set and it would sell just fine . they would make enough to pay for the package and for once try to please the fan's , but hey why would they go to that trouble , who cares . most of the elvis fan base or generation who would buy this will be gone by the time it is released and they will complain about it not selling , but could it be that maybe waiting a hundred years to release it could be hindering the sales just a tad , hum . :shock:

Tue Nov 27, 2012 3:40 am

It's been a few decades. True. I just saw a film called "Lincoln."

Elvis is very significant in his field and deserves analysis.

rjm

Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:10 am

Regarding the pros and cons of an EOT special edition, we have a 12-page thread on that kicking around from a few weeks back.

The point of this so-called rehearsal was that Elvis was meant to be "performing" for the cameras. In TTWII he performed for the cameras a lot during the rehearsal sequences (giving real performances, fooling around etc), whereas here he doesn't give a damn and, as has been pointed out, takes his frustrations out on the band.

The divorce is also mentioned here. Well, there are two points: The first is, as has already been said, much great art has been made out of sadness. And secondly, millions of people get divorced, but they still go to work and do their job. Ok, so Elvis didn't have a normal job, but I'm not quite sure why that makes a difference. Theoretically, Elvis could have been able to delve into music and express himself through that, but didn't.

On the other hand, he might have just had an off-day, or was tired or whatever. It is only twelve minutes of footage - if we had similar footage over a longer period of time, then we might be able to come to some real conclusions about what was going on.

Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:15 am

poormadpeter wrote:On the other hand, he might have just had an off-day, or was tired or whatever. It is only twelve minutes of footage - if we had similar footage over a longer period of time, then we might be able to come to some real conclusions about what was going on.

Presley talks like he is medicated in this additional On Tour outtake (see below).

On the other hand, The King's sense of humor was still intact, despite his apparent narcotic intake. A member of the Memphis Mafia jokingly requests that Elvis sing the song "Melancholy Baby." Presley cleverly retorts: "I got your 'Melancholy Baby.' Son of b*tch. He's built like a melon and a face like a collie, man."

phpBB [video]

phpBB [video]

Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:33 am

monkboughtlunch wrote:Presley talks like he is medicated in this additional On Tour outtake (see below).

On the other hand, The King's sense of humor was still intact, despite his apparent narcotic intake. A member of the Memphis Mafia jokingly requests that Elvis sing the song "Melancholy Baby." Presley cleverly retorts: "I got your 'Melancholy Baby.' Son of b*tch. He's built like a melon and a face like a collie, man."

phpBB [video]

That's in Buffalo, just prior to the first show of the April tour. And what a show he gave that evening. I'm still in hope a professional recording escapes one day.

Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:09 am

Elvisgirl wrote:

THIS

Why are fans so sensitive that they can't take any kind of commentary that is remotely negative towards Elvis? A lot of you take great offense when someone mentions something that makes him the slightest more human. Xaykev, you completely miss the point of this thread because rjm specifically brought up this video specifically in regards to an EOT DVD release. She is discussing how difficult it will be for Turner to show this footage off considering Elvis is so obviously in a foul mood. Head down, slurring his words and speaking in short phrases. Not really a disposition that implies that Elvis was in a social mood. It may be great footage to have as a collector..but in terms of entertainment...it does not offer much thus not exactly something Turner could use to their advantage in a deluxe box set.