Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Elvis-the ultimate trendsetter

Sun Nov 25, 2012 11:26 pm

Over the years, Elvis Presley has become such an iconic trendsetter in pop culture. From the way he dressed to the way he worse his hair. But what I think made him that trendsetter was more to do with his determination not to be like others of his time. To have his own real identity. A leader instead of a follower.
I think one reason that Elvis has withstood the test of time is that he didn't stick to just the sound of the time but branched out into other musical fields to give his audience a large variety. We have themed Elvis albums today because of it. His live shows in the 70's were never meant to be straight up rock, but were meant to be a collection of songs to showcase his vocals and his stage presence . He mixed them up to present something that wasn't around at that time, just pure entertainment with no political messages. The true showman. Back before Elvis and even during his time and even to today, everybody was and still are followers, copying styles and trends. But not Elvis. He created his own by using influential pieces here and there of different musical and cultural backgrounds. Many don't like the jumpsuits and think they made him look like a clown. I think they were what separated him from all others.

Today's top stars try to be as glamorous and stylish as possible when on stage. Elvis started that. It's like what George Harrison said, "Elvis didn't need them. The fans would still scream and go crazy". But it's also like what Elvis said in reply. "then I'd be just like everyone else". He didn't like comparisons or trends. He liked being different. That's where his swag came from. Doing his own thing and not being a follower or caring what others thought of it.

Some don't like the way his shows were set up. Some don't like the Sweet Inspirations or The Stamps being included. And some don't like that he had a 32-piece orchestra backing his shows. I do! They all added something unique and different to the live experience. Elvis wanted to give you a visual of what it would sound like in the studio by having all the musicians with him on one stage. And if you look at today's top drawing concert performers, many of them have the big orchestras, backing vocals, and some have it similar to the way Elvis did. Look at the Aloha production stage. Nobody used big prop stages prior to that for concerts. Today, everyone uses it for live concerts. Blocking off the back of arenas and turned into a more intimate atmosphere. Just like in Hawaii in 1973. Even though it was done specifically for that one time event.

The best thing about Elvis Presley is that he did change his style, constantly being different than anyone else. His street clothes were all customized and designed with his approval. Even in his movies he dressed differently than others did. He wore his hair differently than others. In the 70's he grew his hair out and long and grew out the sideburns. It was HIS look and nobody else's.

Even in today's world, Elvis has had a huge impact and influence on modern day fashions and styles.

Re: Elvis-the ultimate trendsetter

Wed Nov 28, 2012 3:11 am

He started as a trend setter, and I think trying to be like everybody else was just not his style. I think if he had let his hair grow longer around '64 or '65, for example, it would have been just to follow a trend and not really him. And regardless of some not liking the jumpsuits, didn't others wear similar jumpsuits in the 70s, which I'm sure was inspired by Elvis. I'm sure I can recall seeing pictures of Conway Twitty, The Osmonds, Mel Tillis, and Glen Campbell in similar outfits. Maybe that's not the same as if Bob Dylan had worn them, but imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Sat Dec 15, 2012 3:30 am

Elvis was surely a trendsetter -His style in music and pop culture emulated many stars in 60s such as Rick Nelson , Cliff Richard , Fabian , and many more -
They all tried to be like him in their fields in music and life style -
But no one could touch Elvis in sales of records etc -
His unique style was the way to popular musc through the ages -
Elvis is the only star to sell many records as a recording artist -
No one can touch him in sales of records -
His popularity grew and grew and is still growing with new generation of fans -

Many tried to be like him but we will never see another star with his charisma, popularity and such -
Even Sinatra couldnt reach his goal as a recording artist to sell records and be popular and loved like Elvis -
..............................................................................................................................
[b]''Elvis Rocks My / Our World Forever ''
''Long Live The King '' -Amen -

[/b] ::rocks
...............................................................................................................................................
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:56 pm

I agree Elvis was a true trendsetter. In 1955/6 he was unique, his band of lead, rythum, bass and drums was the forerunner of all who followed. From Carl Perkins, Buddy Holly through to the Beatles. There had been no one like him on the world stage. Those before were the crooners epitomised by Frank Sinatra, Bing Crosby etc. During the 60's he took a back seat, but as has been said he still didn't copy any of the trends of the time, he remained Elvis Presley.
When he returned to the stage In 1969/70 once more he was a trendsetter. Again as has been mentioned before many copied his jumpsuits, the Osmonds in particular looking like Elvis clones, but many others besides.

Frank Sinatra was influenced by Bing Crosby, Rudy Valee etc., the Beatles were influence by Elvis, Buddy, Little Richard and the Everly Brothers etc. However Elvis was influenced by people most of us, certainly outside the US, had never heard of such as Roy Hamilton, Arthur Crudup etc. as well as Dean Martin, but in the end sounded like none of them. Unique indeed.

Sun Dec 16, 2012 5:40 am

showfan wrote:He started as a trend setter, and I think trying to be like everybody else was just not his style. I think if he had let his hair grow longer around '64 or '65, for example, it would have been just to follow a trend and not really him. And regardless of some not liking the jumpsuits, didn't others wear similar jumpsuits in the 70s, which I'm sure was inspired by Elvis. I'm sure I can recall seeing pictures of Conway Twitty, The Osmonds, Mel Tillis, and Glen Campbell in similar outfits. Maybe that's not the same as if Bob Dylan had worn them, but imitation is the sincerest form of flattery.

Elvis was the first to wear the rhinestone jumpsuits. Country singer Porter Wagner was wearing similar two-piece costumes before him. But Elvis took that look and created his own unique style by turning his suits into themed suits like the American Eagle, the Sundial and the Peacock to name a few. By the mid 70's many young pop stars began to follow his styles. The flamboyant jumpsuit look was very common after 1973. KC And the Sunshine Band copied his look and style all the way down to the cape. They must have seen Aloha From Hawaii.

Sun Dec 16, 2012 4:43 pm

Elvis was most definitely a trendsetter. Even if things like sideburns and long hair were there before him in the 50s more people immitated that from him. The same with the larger sideburns in the 70s. Also, the jumpsuits. Almost everybody in the 70s wore something which seemed to be inspired by Elvis. Jumpsuits were the rage with pop stars in the 70s once Elvis appeared with them. The Commodores are just one band I can think of who even wore similar clothing. Even if a lot of it is laughable now it was the style of the times which Elvis helped set.