Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Tour #1: 1977

Sat Jun 25, 2011 8:05 am

I have a love/hate relationship with this tour. The hindsight makes us want to really, really hate this tour. I keep going back and forth on whether it was a decent tour, after the fantastic December 76 mini-tour, or a really bad tour.

It is what it is. It's a 1977 show. :smt003

I think Feb 16, 1977 was a decent show. From start to finish, outside of Polk Salad. The man could hardly do the song anymore, and its really painful to listen to. Rare stuff like where No One Stands Alone and Unchained Melody saves it somewhat.

Feb 20 and 21, 1977 are decent shows. Especially Feb 20 on the FTD I listened to. Feb 21 was kind of odd - if you listen to it from start to finish. Elvis tries to substain a November 76 voice for the start - but fails. Tries to recapture Pittsburgh with Are You Lonesome Tonight and Reconsider Baby (This is a blues song that I did, a month and a half ago), and somewhat does a decent Reconsider Baby to boot. Moody Blue is what it is, but being the only live version and unrehearsed at that - it's pretty decent. I know the purists hate it, but it somewhat works. You know they're problems in Elvis-Land when he gets Terry Allen to play the piano, and the audience recording of that makes me cringe everytime.

Any redeaming factors to this tour? Does a few oddities that were decent something postive in this point of Elvis history, or not? (We can't create a time machine and tell him to stop.)

Re: Tour #1: 1977

Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:21 am

My favourite 1977 tour of them all. Same as the first tour of 76 is the best tour of 76. Forget oct-nov-dec 1976. None of them come close to the March tour.

Sat Jun 25, 2011 10:57 pm

This was not a good tour.

Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:51 pm

I still think it was decent for some reason. Maybe its just Elvis' worst vocally came before this tour, like in July-August 76; and August-September 76. This kind of, sort of was a good tour for the bad years. (I know how sad and pathetic it sounds to defend when a man was at his best during the worst/end of this life. It's just that he isn't coming back, and I feel there are some redeaming value, since we can't go back and tell him to quit touring.

At the same time, MidnightX is right. The tour was horrible. Just not the worst tour he ever gave.

Sat Jun 25, 2011 11:57 pm

fg76 wrote:The tour was horrible. Just not the worst tour he ever gave.

You're right, nothing can top the Sept.-Oct. '74 tours as being the "worst" ever.

Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:34 am

The worst tour of Elvis’s career is undoubtedly the July/August 1976 tour.

The February 1977 tour, while far from good, offers a glimmer of hope in that Elvis at least cares enough to try to update his set list. There are several rarities here. Also, while he looked horrible during the beginning of the tour, possibly his worst ever, he looked trim and real good toward the end of the tour. Unfortunately, it wouldn’t last. He started the March tour looking like a train wreck.

Sun Jun 26, 2011 2:48 am

I saw the Feb 20th show in Charlotte and overall it was a good show. Certainly much better than the June 1st show in Macon I saw some 4 months later which was the last time I saw EP. :(

Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:11 am

He was better, vocally, in June.

The winter of '77 was quite severe, weather wise. That February, my family went on a Disney vacation. I'll never forget how cold it was. They were concerned about losing the citrus crop. Ironically, we had no idea Elvis was on tour in the area at the time.

Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:15 pm

He seemed up to try to be the same guy he had been in December, but honestly couldn't pull it off.

Still wondering why during "See See Rider" on Feb 15, why he felt he needed to ask for a hairbrush and admit he looked like a "sheep dog?" One of the better '77 versions of Rider, missing the usual "two, three, four . . . routine." (I wonder if he was that out of it, or just trying something different as he didn't use the two, three, four routine on Feb 12, 13, or 15th.

I considered the 15th a decent show, until I heard the bad soundboard.

Was listening to "Return to Red River" in the car, heading home from a Farm Party. It's an re-release of an old soundboard from March 30, 1977 and surprising decent again. (As I've said before - I've heard worse) [Although Elvis at his worst in the early 70's is still somewhat better than his best here - Well, in some cases.]

Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:13 am

fg76 wrote:Feb 21 was kind of odd - if you listen to it from start to finish. Elvis tries to substain a November 76 voice for the start - but fails. Tries to recapture Pittsburgh with Are You Lonesome Tonight and Reconsider Baby (This is a blues song that I did, a month and a half ago), and somewhat does a decent Reconsider Baby to boot. Moody Blue is what it is, but being the only live version and unrehearsed at that - it's pretty decent. I know the purists hate it, but it somewhat works.

The "purists"?

A fan who considers that unrehearsed, shambolic rendition of "Moody Blue" garbage ... is a purist?

You are really out on an island, man.

Tue Jun 28, 2011 7:38 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:A fan who considers that unrehearsed, shambolic rendition of "Moody Blue" garbage ... is a purist?

I respect your opinion, Dr. John. I really do. I was really trying to find a better word than purist to use, but I do know how you and MidnightX feel about the final two years of Elvis' life and career. There is nothing I could say that can change that opinion. In fact, to be honest it was a fact that Elvis Presley wasn't the same vocal talent that he had been. For example I once played the December 76 tour to my dad a few years before he passed, and he told me that he was still talented, but it sounded like something was gone. Then about a year later I played "Polk Salad" from Feb 16, 1977 and he shut it off after a minute. So trust me, I know I'm going on a limb here, but I am not on any island.

I just don't find the live "Moody Blue," to be bad, given the circumstances. Hell, I think "Return to Sender" from August 1, 1976 was a great piece of history too, and that concert was complete garbage too. I always loved Elvis singing improv, and he was talented enough to do it (most of the time).

Maybe "purist" was the wrong word, its just that I was trying to avoid Dr. John and MidnightX calling me crazy. I failed. Oh well.

Tue Jun 28, 2011 8:01 am

fg76 wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:A fan who considers that unrehearsed, shambolic rendition of "Moody Blue" garbage ... is a purist?

I respect your opinion, Dr. John. I really do. I was really trying to find a better word than purist to use, but I do know how you and MidnightX feel about the final two years of Elvis' life and career. There is nothing I could say that can change that opinion. In fact, to be honest it was a fact that Elvis Presley wasn't the same vocal talent that he had been. For example I once played the December 76 tour to my dad a few years before he passed, and he told me that he was still talented, but it sounded like something was gone. Then about a year later I played "Polk Salad" from Feb 16, 1977 and he shut it off after a minute. So trust me, I know I'm going on a limb here, but I am not on any island.

I just don't find the live "Moody Blue," to be bad, given the circumstances. Hell, I think "Return to Sender" from August 1, 1976 was a great piece of history too, and that concert was complete garbage too. I always loved Elvis singing improv, and he was talented enough to do it (most of the time).

Maybe "purist" was the wrong word, its just that I was trying to avoid Dr. John and MidnightX calling me crazy. I failed. Oh well.

There's no need to avoid making a comment based on a fear that someone might insult you. Of course you're welcome to your opinion.
I realise Moody Blue live isn't well rehearsed but I still enjoy hearing it, especially on the audience recording where the crowd reaction is wonderful.

Wed Jun 29, 2011 12:38 pm

Compared to the December tour of 1976, the one in February 1977 was a bad one. Elvis looked bloated and sick, his voice sounded hoarse and weak and he didn't give the impression to be motivated too much. Of course, sometimes he tryed and included rare songs like RELEASE ME, WHERE NO ONE STANDS ALONE or MOODY BLUE.

But he sounds tired an out of breath a lot of times and gives the impression of a worn out guy, that should not have been on stage at all. Of course he still was Elvis and of course there were certain moments where he still could pull it off, but only during one or two songs per show.

Listening to audience recordings makes most of the concerts sound decent, but if you listen to a soundboard recording you can clearly hear his many shortcomings.

I guess If you have been there and watched him from a distance it was still a good enough show. But the closer you look (and hear), the weaker it gets.

Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:26 am

The Welz wrote:Compared to the December tour of 1976, the one in February 1977 was a bad one. Elvis looked bloated and sick, his voice sounded hoarse and weak and he didn't give the impression to be motivated too much. Of course, sometimes he tryed and included rare songs like RELEASE ME, WHERE NO ONE STANDS ALONE or MOODY BLUE.

But he sounds tired an out of breath a lot of times and gives the impression of a worn out guy, that should not have been on stage at all. Of course he still was Elvis and of course there were certain moments where he still could pull it off, but only during one or two songs per show.

Listening to audience recordings makes most of the concerts sound decent, but if you listen to a soundboard recording you can clearly hear his many shortcomings.

I guess If you have been there and watched him from a distance it was still a good enough show. But the closer you look (and hear), the weaker it gets.

But compared to the June 1977 or the March 1977 tour, Elvis was really good.

Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:49 am

A poor tour with only just a few highlights-mostly being rarely performed songs....he looked better by the end of the tour though. I have seen quite a lot of this tour on video-and believe me that 40 minutes or so from the first show is unbelievably sad- Elvis tried very hard but was so 'out of it' and bloated he just couldn't 'cut the mustard' yet by footage from Charlotte on 20th Feb he looked remarkably good(compared to 12th!) final show was a complete mixture ranging from complete embaressment of forgetting words to a reasonable 'moody blue' and strange end of show.OF cource next tour was considerably worse.

Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:22 am

The Welz wrote:Compared to the December tour of 1976, the one in February 1977 was a bad one. Elvis looked bloated and sick, his voice sounded hoarse and weak and he didn't give the impression to be motivated too much. Of course, sometimes he tryed and included rare songs like RELEASE ME, WHERE NO ONE STANDS ALONE or MOODY BLUE.

Why doesn't the login name show on this poster?

Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:25 am

mysterytrainrideson wrote:

Why doesn't the login name show on this poster?

Strange! When you embed the comment, the name shows.

Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:57 am

I went to the May 27th '76 in Bloomington IN. show, although I was really young and don't remember much, I do remember people booing during 'If You Love Me Let me Know" and other people yelling at them to stop booing. But the excitement was at a lower level at that show than a year later MSA very strange.

Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:51 pm

i ask myself: did elvis hear booing at any show (didnt know much occasions when it happened....one was in 1976 in las vegas) and if so:how did he react?
if it happened sometimes he must have thought about it or about some songs which caused it.
but i guess he didn't cause he did not changed those songs.

Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:08 pm

When I was young I bought a German Elvis magazine (Elvis Lives or something like that) with lots of pictures in it. However, when I looked at the 1976/77 pictures, I was horrified. Of,course, they put the February 12th pictures. Needless to say, I automatically imagined the show and in fact the whole tour to be bad, too. However, I don't think it is bad. I have enjoyed listening to those soundboard recordings, but I am not certain if my judgement isn't clouded. I automatically arrange Elvis into a number of phases and in this one, the final chapter, I think the tour is possibly the best.

Sun Jun 15, 2014 3:17 pm

Elvis booed at in August 70 when he was so out of it that he wouldn't stop singing Love Me Tender. Somehow he picked up the show and saved it.

Sun Jun 15, 2014 11:38 pm

I listened to a few recordings from this era recently and won't be again for some time.

Elvis' voice is in such bad shape, I find it hard to fathom how anyone can really derive enjoyment from this period.

Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:37 am

matilda wrote:i ask myself: did elvis hear booing at any show (didnt know much occasions when it happened....one was in 1976 in las vegas) and if so:how did he react?
if it happened sometimes he must have thought about it or about some songs which caused it.

I don't remember any reaction from Elvis, I doubt he would have heard it unless it was up close first 4 or 5 rows from the stage (which they were not).
I think he would have fired back if he did hear them, well depending on the mood.

Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:48 am

promiseland wrote:
matilda wrote:i ask myself: did elvis hear booing at any show (didnt know much occasions when it happened....one was in 1976 in las vegas) and if so:how did he react?

I don't remember any reaction from Elvis, I doubt he would have heard it unless it was up close first 4 or 5 rows from the stage (which they were not).
I think he would have fired back if he did hear them, well depending on the mood.

In LV 1976 he does hear the clapping from the audience, he actually reacts to it and finishes the show decently.

There are some walkouts known.
Vegas 1974 and Houston/Mobile 1976 to name a few.
Still, not a bad score given the incredible total number of shows.

Mon Jun 16, 2014 12:52 am

Robert wrote:In LV 1976 he does hear the clapping from the audience, he actually reacts to it and finishes the show decently.

There are some walkouts known.
Vegas 1974 and Houston/Mobile 1976 to name a few.
Still, not a bad score given the incredible total number of shows.

One suspects those are just the known examples, and the number is much greater as one rolls down the 1976-1977 road.

Elvis needed to be dealing with his depression and addiction issues, not booked on an endless round of Vegas shows and one-nighters.

But neither management nor talent knew any better.