Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

When collecting Elvis items......how much is too much ? ? ?

Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:40 pm

i occasionally have a group of local Elvis fans over to my house for an Elvis night. There is one lady in the group who often talks about her huge (and ever expanding) Elvis collection and how much she pays for some older items. Recently she paid $90 for a 45rpm single. She works 2 jobs. One paycheck goes to pay her bills and the other is spent on Elvis items. She buys everything with Elvis' name on it and goes regularly to see ETAs and goes to Memphis to see Graceland every year (except on anniversary years when she goes twice).
Now, don't get me wrong...people can spend their money on anything they want to but everyone in the group knows that this lady CANNOT afford it. I believe she is obsessed to the point where it interferes with the relationship she has with her husband and children. She has told people in the group not to call her between 5 and 7 pm on anyday because that's the time she listens to Elvis CDs. Her husband cooks and cleans the house himself after working a 12 hour day and her grandson was born in mid August when she was in Memphis. She had even missed the baby shower because she had tickets to see an ETA with friends and was busy that night.
At our last meeting, she told everyone that her Elvis collection was getting out of hand. We all thought she was going to announce that she was no longer buying Elvis items. Nope! She happily announced that she was going to the bank, remortgaging her house to add on two more rooms so that she could continue to expand her Elvis collection. She has alienated herself from everyone in her family. Once i asked her why she was so crazy about collecting Elvis "stuff". She said that in 1974, she had the chance to buy tickets to an Elvis show but when she heard about it on the radio...tickets were already sold out. She also missed out on buying tickets to his show in 1976 (people in the ticket line right in front of her got the last 3 tickets), and in 1977 she was in the hospital for surgery when tickets went on sale. When Elvis died, she felt "ripped off" that she never saw him in concert (a direct quote) so she began buying Elvis items the day after Elvis died and never stopped.
IMO....she needs some therapy.
So, back to my original question:
"WHEN COLLECTING ALL THINGS ELVIS,,,,HOW MUCH IS TOO MUCH?"

Re: When collecting Elvis items......how much is too much ?

Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:42 pm

whatever you cannot comfortably afford

Re: When collecting Elvis items......how much is too much ?

Fri Nov 23, 2012 6:46 pm

elvisbot wrote:i occasionally have a group of local Elvis fans over to my house for an Elvis night. There is one lady in the group who often talks about her huge (and ever expanding) Elvis collection and how much she pays for some older items. Recently she paid $90 for a 45rpm single. She works 2 jobs. One paycheck goes to pay her bills and the other is spent on Elvis items. She buys everything with Elvis' name on it and goes regularly to see ETAs and goes to Memphis to see Graceland every year (except on anniversary years when she goes twice).
Now, don't get me wrong...people can spend their money on anything they want to but everyone in the group knows that this lady CANNOT afford it. I believe she is obsessed to the point where it interferes with the relationship she has with her husband and children. She has told people in the group not to call her between 5 and 7 pm on anyday because that's the time she listens to Elvis CDs. Her husband cooks and cleans the house himself after working a 12 hour day and her grandson was born in mid August when she was in Memphis. She had even missed the baby shower because she had tickets to see an ETA with friends and was busy that night.
At our last meeting, she told everyone that her Elvis collection was getting out of hand. We all thought she was going to announce that she was no longer buying Elvis items. Nope! She happily announced that she was going to the bank, remortgaging her house to add on two more rooms so that she could continue to expand her Elvis collection. She has alienated herself from everyone in her family. Once i asked her why she was so crazy about collecting Elvis "stuff". She said that in 1974, she had the chance to buy tickets to an Elvis show but when she heard about it on the radio...tickets were already sold out. She also missed out on buying tickets to his show in 1976 (people in the ticket line right in front of her got the last 3 tickets), and in 1977 she was in the hospital for surgery when tickets went on sale. When Elvis died, she felt "ripped off" that she never saw him in concert (a direct quote) so she began buying Elvis items the day after Elvis died and never stopped.
IMO....she needs some therapy.
So, back to my original question:
"WHEN COLLECTING ALL THINGS ELVIS,,,,HOW MUCH IS TOO MUCH?"


Sheesh!

Re: When collecting Elvis items......how much is too much ?

Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:36 pm

Sheesh!


+1

Re: When collecting Elvis items......how much is too much ?

Fri Nov 23, 2012 7:49 pm

I know someone like that who collects anything with drawings of cats.
She has 3-room house completely filled up with boxes. If she wants to go to bed she even has to move boxes off her bed!
People have been trying to get her psychological help, but she refuses and cannot be "helped" unvoluntary.

Re: When collecting Elvis items......how much is too much ?

Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:57 pm

elvisbot wrote:"WHEN COLLECTING ALL THINGS ELVIS,,,,HOW MUCH IS TOO MUCH?"


The example you gave is someone needing help.

It comes down to priorities, both financial and spending time with family/friends. Also keeping a balance as well.

I collected Elvis for over twenty years... all within our budget and never sacrificing time spent with family and friends. Sold most of collection several years ago to help pay for college cost for my kids.

I'd say if you are not neglecting your family responsibilities and time with family/friends it should be okay.

Re: When collecting Elvis items......how much is too much ?

Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:08 pm

zolderopruiming1 wrote:I know someone like that who collects anything with drawings of cats.
She has 3-room house completely filled up with boxes. If she wants to go to bed she even has to move boxes off her bed!
People have been trying to get her psychological help, but she refuses and cannot be "helped" unvoluntary.

a hoarder? i feel so sorry for those people :(

Re: When collecting Elvis items......how much is too much ?

Fri Nov 23, 2012 9:51 pm

londonflash wrote:
elvisbot wrote:i occasionally have a group of local Elvis fans over to my house for an Elvis night. There is one lady in the group who often talks about her huge (and ever expanding) Elvis collection and how much she pays for some older items. Recently she paid $90 for a 45rpm single. She works 2 jobs. One paycheck goes to pay her bills and the other is spent on Elvis items. She buys everything with Elvis' name on it and goes regularly to see ETAs and goes to Memphis to see Graceland every year (except on anniversary years when she goes twice).
Now, don't get me wrong...people can spend their money on anything they want to but everyone in the group knows that this lady CANNOT afford it. I believe she is obsessed to the point where it interferes with the relationship she has with her husband and children. She has told people in the group not to call her between 5 and 7 pm on anyday because that's the time she listens to Elvis CDs. Her husband cooks and cleans the house himself after working a 12 hour day and her grandson was born in mid August when she was in Memphis. She had even missed the baby shower because she had tickets to see an ETA with friends and was busy that night.
At our last meeting, she told everyone that her Elvis collection was getting out of hand. We all thought she was going to announce that she was no longer buying Elvis items. Nope! She happily announced that she was going to the bank, remortgaging her house to add on two more rooms so that she could continue to expand her Elvis collection. She has alienated herself from everyone in her family. Once i asked her why she was so crazy about collecting Elvis "stuff". She said that in 1974, she had the chance to buy tickets to an Elvis show but when she heard about it on the radio...tickets were already sold out. She also missed out on buying tickets to his show in 1976 (people in the ticket line right in front of her got the last 3 tickets), and in 1977 she was in the hospital for surgery when tickets went on sale. When Elvis died, she felt "ripped off" that she never saw him in concert (a direct quote) so she began buying Elvis items the day after Elvis died and never stopped.
IMO....she needs some therapy.
So, back to my original question:
"WHEN COLLECTING ALL THINGS ELVIS,,,,HOW MUCH IS TOO MUCH?"


Sheesh!


That is why fan is short for fanatic. This sounds unhealthy.