Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Love the July, 1972 interview with Adidge and Abel

Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:34 am

Just a great, informative 44 minute interview where he goes over his life, career, army days and his treatment from Hollywood as far as what movies he was expected to play in. Very good job by Pierre Adidge and Robert Adel.

http://youtu.be/kSD19igmbco

Re: Love the July, 1972 interview with Adidge and Abel

Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:40 am

Joe Car wrote:Just a great, informative 44 minute interview where he goes over his life, career, army days and his treatment from Hollywood as far as what movies he was expected to play in. Very good job by Pierre Adidge and Robert Adel.

phpBB [video]



I'm pretty sure the interview at MGM in Culver City was done with just co-director Bob Abel present. And it's kind of a difficult listen. Elvis is very honest about the 1960s Hollywood derailment of his career.

Re: Love the July, 1972 interview with Adidge and Abel

Wed Mar 11, 2015 6:49 am

I have always enjoyed listening to the 1972 EOT-related interview audio. Obviously Elvis rarely gave formal interviews, and the EOT interview/discussion dialogue is probably the most revealing insight into Elvis as anyone would ever hear.

Re: Love the July, 1972 interview with Adidge and Abel

Wed Mar 11, 2015 9:41 am

An EOT SE has a lot of potential if they include some of the fascinating interview audio with matching video, regardless of the year Elvis is talking about.

Re: Love the July, 1972 interview with Adidge and Abel

Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:13 am

Robert wrote:An EOT SE has a lot of potential if they include some of the fascinating interview audio with matching video, regardless of the year Elvis is talking about.


You Are so right Robert ! And with over +50 hours of material to pick from, it would make a hell of a release if it was done right.
If they would pick the right people for the job, I 100% certain that is we'll be a better project than That's The Way It Is. :shock: There Is so much material from all those rehearsals and tour the april tour shows, that it will be the ultimate elvis live project ::rocks

Re: Love the July, 1972 interview with Adidge and Abel

Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:36 am

A dream come true!

Re: Love the July, 1972 interview with Adidge and Abel

Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:39 am

midnightx wrote:I have always enjoyed listening to the 1972 EOT-related interview audio. Obviously Elvis rarely gave formal interviews, and the EOT interview/discussion dialogue is probably the most revealing insight into Elvis as anyone would ever hear.


Agreed. 45 minutes of Elvis talking about his career... I find it amazing it has never seen an official release, and that it has never been used properly in films and documentaries. Even most of the "Elvis in his own words" type of books have only used a few quotes from this interview.

Re: Love the July, 1972 interview with Adidge and Abel

Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:30 am

Hav-A-Tampa wrote:
midnightx wrote:I have always enjoyed listening to the 1972 EOT-related interview audio. Obviously Elvis rarely gave formal interviews, and the EOT interview/discussion dialogue is probably the most revealing insight into Elvis as anyone would ever hear.


Agreed. 45 minutes of Elvis talking about his career... I find it amazing it has never seen an official release, and that it has never been used properly in films and documentaries. Even most of the "Elvis in his own words" type of books have only used a few quotes from this interview.


I've often thought the same.

Re: Love the July, 1972 interview with Adidge and Abel

Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:35 am

They also used a lot of it in This Is Elvis narrated by the other guy. It would also be an interesting fundament for an ultimate anthology.

Re: Love the July, 1972 interview with Adidge and Abel

Wed Mar 11, 2015 12:09 pm

Wiebe wrote:They also used a lot of it in This Is Elvis narrated by the other guy. It would also be an interesting fundament for an ultimate anthology.


Don't think so.

Re: Love the July, 1972 interview with Adidge and Abel

Wed Mar 11, 2015 4:17 pm

Just listened again for the first time in a while. It is good the way Bob Abel probes Elvis - although he seems reluctant to answer at first. His candid approach seems to open Elvis up and there are some bits of genuine, laugh out loud, humour - especially where Abel is describing the effect Elvis had on the school girls he was trying to impress in his younger days.

Abel also seems very clued up on Elvis' career - clearly a fan and is warm towards Elvis as a result.

Re: Love the July, 1972 interview with Adidge and Abel

Wed Mar 11, 2015 8:03 pm

AndrewJ wrote:Just listened again for the first time in a while. It is good the way Bob Abel probes Elvis - although he seems reluctant to answer at first. His candid approach seems to open Elvis up and there are some bits of genuine, laugh out loud, humour - especially where Abel is describing the effect Elvis had on the school girls he was trying to impress in his younger days.

Abel also seems very clued up on Elvis' career - clearly a fan and is warm towards Elvis as a result.


It sounds like the director also brought photos to spur Presley's memories. Wise move.

Re: Love the July, 1972 interview with Adidge and Abel

Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:22 pm

This audio-only interview was set up by Jerry Schilling at the request of Abel and Adidge. The Colonel was completely against it (but didn't forbid it) saying only that he wouldn't facilitate it. Jerry figures the Colonel thought it would just fall through since he wasn't involved, but Jerry went ahead and set it up anyway. So, the Colonel wasn't present -- a critical factor.

There is a fascinating section in Jerry Shilling's book (Me and a Guy Named Elvis, pgs. 243-246) about this revealing interview. As Jerry says, "They'd (A & A) gotten Elvis in his own words, but those words didn't quite fit the film that had been shot." Only a few lines, including Vernon's quote ("I never saw a guitar player that was worth a damn"), made it into the final cut of the film.

Peter Guralnick's description of the interview is in "Careless Love," pgs. 465-469.

Jerry Hopkins' talks about the interview in "Elvis: the Biography," pg. 276. (He seems to have the date wrong as "the first week of May.") Here is an excerpt:

Afterward, transcripts of the two-hour interview were guarded like high-level war plans and Adidge was quoted in 'Rolling Stone' as saying Jerry Schilling learned more about his boss that afternoon than he had in seven years. Stan Brossette, who worked as Elvis's publicist on many of his MGM movies said much the same thing. A year after Elvis's death the transcript was still being talked about in whispers and when finally a copy was produced, it was handed over with the strongest plea to keep the source unknown."

I just wonder if the Colonel somehow got wind of what was on that tape and took steps to make sure it never saw the light of day. hmmmmm...

Re: Love the July, 1972 interview with Adidge and Abel

Wed Mar 11, 2015 10:35 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:
AndrewJ wrote:Just listened again for the first time in a while. It is good the way Bob Abel probes Elvis - although he seems reluctant to answer at first. His candid approach seems to open Elvis up and there are some bits of genuine, laugh out loud, humour - especially where Abel is describing the effect Elvis had on the school girls he was trying to impress in his younger days.

Abel also seems very clued up on Elvis' career - clearly a fan and is warm towards Elvis as a result.


It sounds like the director also brought photos to spur Presley's memories. Wise move.


It sure was Doc.

Re: Love the July, 1972 interview with Adidge and Abel

Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:29 pm

Because as has been repeated many times and is true. Elvis did not have the greatest memory about his own past. Remember That. :D

Re: Love the July, 1972 interview with Adidge and Abel

Wed Mar 11, 2015 11:51 pm

We do know that a number of early photographs of Elvis would become part of the "montage" segment of the film that was being overseen by Martin Scorsese (with an assist from Jerry Schilling).

Perhaps some of these photos were brought to the interview with the hope that they would not only jog Elvis's memory, but also elicit some stories or comments that could be used in the film.

Re: Love the July, 1972 interview with Adidge and Abel

Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:32 am

drjohncarpenter wrote:
Wiebe wrote:They also used a lot of it in This Is Elvis narrated by the other guy. It would also be an interesting fundament for an ultimate anthology.


Don't think so.

Well the part where he said he got physically ill about the movies made it, didn't it?

Re: Love the July, 1972 interview with Adidge and Abel

Thu Mar 12, 2015 3:20 am

DEH wrote:Because as has been repeated many times and is true. Elvis did not have the greatest memory about his own past. Remember That. :D


Again not true. Stop spreading bs on this forum. You are so wrong so often, and yet continue to post bull again and again, I suspect it's indicative of some kind of psychosis.

Lucky us.

Re: Love the July, 1972 interview with Adidge and Abel

Thu Mar 12, 2015 6:43 am

:lol: just listened to all of this again-its VERY interesting interview indeed and probably the last very lengthy interview he ever did that was recorded!~ :D

Love the July, 1972 interview with Adidge and Abel

Thu Mar 12, 2015 1:00 pm

In spite of what we have, is there really a 2 hour recording?
This recording is so revealing, perhaps the most revealing and most truthful, by Elvis about his career, post 1960. The discussion about the poor film properties, the disconnect between the star, his management, and his Hollywood "partners" at the movie companies, whilst we know it, it's amazing to hear it come from Elvis' mouth. It reminds me of the early interviews where he'd defend himself about accusations of influencing juvenile delinquency, or even the amount of money he had amassed, then like a switch being flicked, it was as if he'd been coached as to what he could say and what he couldn't.
But here he starts to unload. It was around these times that barriers like what Parker had built up and relied on since the '50s were being busted down by other artists, and had Parker and co. had been able to accept those changes and let Elvis be heard by society and the entertainment business in his terms, then perceptions of Elvis may have been very different, and probs opened up more opportunities.
Control of another human being is such an evil menace, on all levels.
I'd love to hear more, if there is any.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Re: Love the July, 1972 interview with Adidge and Abel

Thu Mar 12, 2015 4:43 pm

Jerry Hopkins' biography (pg. 276) does refer to it as a "two-hour interview." However (as noted previously), he also says the interview took place "the first week of May" which is in error -- actually taking place in late July near the end of the project --so accuracy here has to be considered.

Jerry Schilling's book (pg. 245) says, "There was a bit more back-and-forth, and then after about forty-five minutes, the interview was over."

Obviously, Hopkins' account is based on his interviews with others who may or may not have actually been there. Jerry Schilling, on the other hand, was definitely there and experienced this event first-hand so I would give his account more credibility.

Re: Love the July, 1972 interview with Adidge and Abel

Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:33 pm

This is the first time I heard Elvis mentioning Bill Black. Very nice, I believe.

Re: Love the July, 1972 interview with Adidge and Abel

Sat Mar 14, 2015 2:37 pm

i always found it very strange that he attributed bill black in the 68 special not by his name ...but just as a bass player

Re: Love the July, 1972 interview with Adidge and Abel

Sat Mar 14, 2015 4:50 pm

matilda wrote:i always found it very strange that he attributed bill black in the 68 special not by his name ...but just as a bass player

Yeah, that was weird... :?