Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Re: Mystery Train (acetate/tape) full length

Tue Feb 05, 2013 11:45 pm

There is no edit at 1.44.

Wed Feb 06, 2013 3:38 am

Pierre wrote:I can't hear any edited parts in these two releases, but I can hear a cut (rhythm break) at 1:44 on BMG's master. I think many have worked on Mystery Train in the past decades.

I am an Elvis fan and have been for more than 40 years... you're mistaken friend, and your ears are hearing something that just isn't there...

Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:34 am

Pierre wrote:I am not an Elvis fan, but I have some Elvis recordings in my collection, which is mainly Rock, Blues and Jazz. Elvis is important because he was the one who broke the rules of music, he can be considered as the "primate" of today's rock music. Mystery Train is one important piece and therefore I have several issues (of probably the same source). The interesting thing is that a Brazilian release of 1962 and the Joker release (Germany 1987) runs 2:40 minutes. I can't hear any edited parts in these two releases, but I can hear a cut (rhythm break) at 1:44 on BMG's master. I think many have worked on Mystery Train in the past decades.

I am an Elvis fan, and there has never been any official editing of the "Mystery Train" master until the 2004 release of Elvis At Sun.
Last edited by drjohncarpenter on Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Feb 06, 2013 7:18 am

2004 Elvis At Sun. But regardless, the track is not edited at 1.44.

Wed Feb 06, 2013 10:37 am

The voice sounds very strange: like he's singing over the telephone, so I was wondering: could this be from RCA's old "Reprocessed Stereo" messes that they made back in the '60s/'70s?

Or else someone just deliberately made a mess of the recording to make it seem "different."

Matthew said it best. No need to repeat.

rjm

Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:42 pm

Matthew wrote:2004 Elvis At Sun. But regardless, the track is not edited at 1.44.

Yup. Totally forgot about Elvis At Sun. Thanks.

The equally great new Sony transfer of the unprocessed, dynamic Mystery Train makes its debut here on 'Elvis at SUN'. The original, full-ending-to-the last-note version derived from lost Sun Tape Box #1 (that was reported to us by Sven Adamski in 1999) has been recovered from the best available source (tape copy with compression and severe generation loss) and matched with precision during the fade-out, using all the tricks in the book and for once stretching all the 'Elvis at SUN' restoration rules. The result of this impossible task is stunning considering the circumstances.

ELVIS AT SUN: An Overview of the Audio Restoration
http://www.elvisrecordings.com/r_elvisatsun.htm

Wed Feb 06, 2013 12:53 pm

I did read all these posts, most of them are nonsense. I work at BMG, but I am not involved in any Elvis-issues. But the facts are known here. The facts are:

1.) The original Sun-tape was lost. All copies made from this tape have been lost, too.
2.) Before Sun 223, acetates of the full recording have been distributed to local radio stations, it indeed runs 3:10 minutes.
3.) The Sun release 223 and all following releases indeed have a cut at 1:44. BMG confirms that upon request.
4.) The "remix" discussed here is nice, but made out of several known releases. Call it a fake, call it art-work, like it or not.
5.) As usual Elvis fans only believe what they want to believe, and hear only what they want to hear.

Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:13 pm

You obviously didn't get the memo about BMG, must be awful lonely if you still work there...

Wed Feb 06, 2013 1:26 pm

Chads wrote:I did read all these posts, most of them are nonsense. I work at BMG, but I am not involved in any Elvis-issues. But the facts are known here. The facts are:

1.) The original Sun-tape was lost. All copies made from this tape have been lost, too.
2.) Before Sun 223, acetates of the full recording have been distributed to local radio stations, it indeed runs 3:10 minutes.
3.) The Sun release 223 and all following releases indeed have a cut at 1:44. BMG confirms that upon request.
4.) The "remix" discussed here is nice, but made out of several known releases. Call it a fake, call it art-work, like it or not.
5.) As usual Elvis fans only believe what they want to believe, and hear only what they want to hear.

Hi "Chads," nice first post here. Speaking of nonsense:

1) Which local radio stations received acetates of the "full" recording? The window would be narrow: "Mystery Train" was taped in July and released in August.

2) Confirmed "upon request" by BMG, and you "work at BMG" -- really? Then you well know RCA became a part of SONY years ago.

3) Having spoken with the engineers who worked on Elvis At Sun and A Boy From Tupelo, there is no "cut" at 1:44.

4) Having spoken with the engineer who worked on A Boy From Tupelo, "Mystery Train" was mastered from a not-lost Sun tape copy and the full ending from a digital transfer of a 78 rpm 1955 RCA single.

5) Not one of the original 1954-1955 Sun singles ran longer than 2:39, making a 3:10 "master" of "Mystery Train" a stunning anomaly for a Sun record release, or typical radio play.

That’s All Right (45 rpm master) 2:00
Blue Moon of Kentucky (45 rpm master) 2:07
I Don't Care if the Sun Don't Shine 2:32
Good Rockin' Tonight 2:15
Milkcow Blues Boogie 2:39
You’re a Heartbreaker 2:13
Baby Let's Play House 2:19
I'm Left, You're Right, She's Gone 2:38
I Forgot to Remember to Forget 2:31
Mystery Train 2:30

6) Neither Sam Phillips nor anyone associated with the release of Sun 223 or RCA 6357 ever spoke of "Mystery Train" being edited. When Phillips had Presley there were few -- if any -- examples of edited master recordings. Sam didn't bother with such things.

Thanks.

Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:17 pm

rjm wrote:Or else someone just deliberately made a mess of the recording to make it seem "different"

BINGO!

Wed Feb 06, 2013 5:20 pm

"Pierre" and "Chads"... pick one login name and stick with it... no need to create new logins to try and get your ridiculous point across... :facep:

Thu Feb 07, 2013 1:16 am

elvis-fan wrote:"Pierre" and "Chads"... pick one login name and stick with it... no need to create new logins to try and get your ridiculous point across... :facep:

They both work for BMG. ;-)