Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Ian Gillan (Deep Purple) On Elvis' Voice

Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:50 pm

From a recent interview with Ian Gillan of group Deep Purple.

How do you define a rock singer? Who in your opinion is the greatest?

It’s all very different; I don’t think it’s a science but if you were ask me who had the greatest voice in rock music of all time I would have to say a young Elvis Presley, without a doubt. He was the Pavarotti of rock music. I remember listening to Dame Kiri Te Kanawa a few years ago on the BBC and the presenter asked her who she thought was the greatest voice she had ever heard. I was expecting her to say something like Caruso, Joan Sutherland or Pavarotti, but she said the young Elvis. He touched us all, he got through to us, his personality. Technically he was perfect, his pitch and tone were absolutely wonderful and his sense of rhythm, something came deep inside him that literally did touch us all. That’s a secret of greatness.

Brian

Re: Ian Gillan (Deep Purple) On Elvis' Voice

Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:26 pm

Mr Gillan himself had a great voice too up until about 15 years ago. A great screamer too. Purple rocked.

Re: Ian Gillan (Deep Purple) On Elvis' Voice

Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:48 pm

Brian Quinn wrote:From a recent interview with Ian Gillan of group Deep Purple.

How do you define a rock singer? Who in your opinion is the greatest?

It’s all very different; I don’t think it’s a science but if you were ask me who had the greatest voice in rock music of all time I would have to say a young Elvis Presley, without a doubt. He was the Pavarotti of rock music. I remember listening to Dame Kiri Te Kanawa a few years ago on the BBC and the presenter asked her who she thought was the greatest voice she had ever heard. I was expecting her to say something like Caruso, Joan Sutherland or Pavarotti, but she said the young Elvis. He touched us all, he got through to us, his personality. Technically he was perfect, his pitch and tone were absolutely wonderful and his sense of rhythm, something came deep inside him that literally did touch us all. That’s a secret of greatness.

Brian

Well done to Ian Gillan for voicing what we all thought on hearing Elvis for the first time whilst growing up in the 1950's. No one who wasn't there can ever fully appreciate the impact he had on us all, it was like an atomic explosion ( he wasn't known as the 'worlds first atomic powered singer' for nothing) it really was the 'big bang' of modern music. There's been nothing quite like it before or since. It is also because of this fantastic innitial explosion that made the low's of the mid 1960's so much harder for us original fans to take.