Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

What was the last consistently great year for Elvis?

Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:53 pm

What was the last great year, in terms of Elvis' consistency in the quality of his performances, his health, and his physical appearance and level of fitness?

When was the last year before the decline truly started--was it 1973, or earlier, or later?

Re: What was the last consistently great year for Elvis?

Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:56 pm

I would say 1970.

Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:58 pm

I think it was 1973, even tho there were certainly problems that year...

JEFF d
EP fan

Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:00 am

I was going to write 1972, then I remembered that he split from his missus.

Wed Aug 21, 2013 12:16 am

He was beginning to get a little heavy towards the very end of 1972 but he it didn't seem to be anything worse than his pudgiest days during the movie years. Still what with a lifetime grammy award, a successful documentary movie, the hit New York shows, Burning Love riding high in the charts plus Elvis ending the year fairly trim as he dieted to prepare for Aloha for me 1972 is his last great year. My heart wants to say 1970 but I still think 172 was just about good enough to qualify as the shows were still exciting and he consistently made the effort from what I can see. He began putting on the beef properly, beyond any previous weight gain from mid 1973, he had voice problems, overdoses, depression, the less than satisfactory July session and some less than stellar on stage antics. And then there was My BOy - just kidding! :D

Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:31 am

AARRGGHH!

Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:36 am

Clark Gable wrote:What was the last great year, in terms of Elvis' consistency in the quality of his performances, his health, and his physical appearance and level of fitness?

When was the last year before the decline truly started--was it 1973, or earlier, or later?

What year will it be when you purchase your first Elvis book?

Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:45 am

Personally and professionally, 1969. There isn't a single picture from that year where he doesn't ooze confidence and control.

In 1970 he looked great, was at his peak vocally, and did some of his best concerts. has the death threat in August that ushers in his gun obsession, the erratic September 1970 sessions, as well as the infamous Nixon meeting at the end of the year, all of which exhibit odd behavior and early warning signs of what was to come.

1971 and 1972 have high points, '72 in particular, but the cracks were beginning to show: the voice changed, the material got schmaltzier and uninteresting, he REALLY began rushing the oldies, and his appearance went up and down rapidly.

Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:55 am

1977, he was always consistently great IMHO.

Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:05 am

steve in SC wrote:1977, he was always consistently great IMHO.

Wasn't so great after around mid August.

Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:09 am

This forum's a got a bit of a morbid fascination with Elvis' decline. Anyone noticed?

Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:15 am

U.S. Male1990 wrote:Personally and professionally, 1969. There isn't a single picture from that year where he doesn't ooze confidence and control.

In 1970 he looked great, was at his peak vocally, and did some of his best concerts. has the death threat in August that ushers in his gun obsession, the erratic September 1970 sessions, as well as the infamous Nixon meeting at the end of the year, all of which exhibit odd behavior and early warning signs of what was to come.

1971 and 1972 have high points, '72 in particular, but the cracks were beginning to show: the voice changed, the material got schmaltzier and uninteresting, he REALLY began rushing the oldies, and his appearance went up and down rapidly.

I've said it before, Elvis was at his peak vocally in 1970 if we don't count the years before 1964. He also was into guns long before Auust 1970.

Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:18 am

Yes...I have noticed..what was Elvis worst songs? What year did Elvis start to suck? What year was the last year before the year he went down hill? what, what, what. Blah, blah, blah....sounds like a Beatles or Michael Jackson forum. Lot of negative vibes man.

Wed Aug 21, 2013 4:23 am

Bill Tanner wrote:This forum's a got a bit of a morbid fascination with Elvis' decline. Anyone noticed?

what else is new?

Wed Aug 21, 2013 5:40 am

No offense, but this forum gets beyond ridiculous at times.

Elvis' last great year, are you kidding ?

Your asking us, just humans against humans, opinions, about when we think about was Elvis' last great year.

I mean, who are we to judge, are we of a higher power ?

Last I recall, Elvis Presley was a human being, correct ?

Ask yourself when you think it was Elvis' last greatest year, or better yet, ask yourself when you think your last greatest year was.

Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:02 am

Elvis at his worst...accomplished WAY more than any of us ever will...including most of the great entertainers before or after.

Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:06 am

i think it was 1970 (until the death threats and Nixon visit)
Last edited by yaso on Wed Aug 21, 2013 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:12 am

As for shows being atleast good consistently 1975 hands down.

Wed Aug 21, 2013 6:51 am

Another great thread started by our resident movie star... keep 'em comin' Rhett...

Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:51 pm

Consistently - 1971.

Brian

Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:11 pm

'69 - no doubt.

Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:17 pm

Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:40 pm

Wed Aug 21, 2013 2:45 pm

1958 !!!

Wed Aug 21, 2013 3:59 pm

No no mink it was 1952