Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Songs you didn't appreciate...

Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:57 am

I am fairly certain this topic has been discussed but I'm not sure. What are some songs that you disliked or didn't appreciate early on and came to like?

For me personally, I got into Elvis as a kid in the 80s and never liked Polk Salad Annie but now I love it. Two songs that I'm listening to right now that I never fully appreciated were Steam Roller Blues and Early Morning Rain...

Re: Songs you didn't appreciate...

Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:07 am

hmm must have been It Won't Be Long and Never Been To Spain. but now i dig them!

Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:31 am

For me, growing up with Elvis thought the 70's I was buying his current releases and enjoying his 60's 'oldies' I never fully appreciated the "Sun" material as it always sounded as a different person as to who I was in to. I certainly grew to appreciate Elvis' first recordings the older I became.

Thu Nov 22, 2012 10:40 am

Julian Grant wrote:For me, growing up with Elvis thought the 70's I was buying his current releases and enjoying his 60's 'oldies' I never fully appreciated the "Sun" material as it always sounded as a different person as to who I was in to. I certainly grew to appreciate Elvis' first recordings the older I became.

I agree with you. Initially the sun sides sounded like a different artist.

Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:54 am

At the time I dismissed Viva Las Vegas as just another crappy film song.

But, over the years, its frequent use by the media [whenever Las Vegas is mentioned or shown] has made me appreciate its 'classic' status !

Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:38 pm

"Do The Clam" get the right girl and you'll appreciate it very much!

Thu Nov 22, 2012 2:54 pm

jeez...can't think of any

Thu Nov 22, 2012 3:21 pm

For the longest time I despised Wooden Heart with a passion, but I listen to the platinum album while I'm doing odds and sods around the house and it's grown on me. I still really don't like Viva Las Vegas.

BTW, hello I'm new.

Thu Nov 22, 2012 5:41 pm

The entire How Great Thou Art album..
Boy was I missing out!!

Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:11 pm

I, actually, didn't like a lot of the songs from the 50s, except for "TARM". I hated it when he started speeding the song up in the live show in the 70s. :(

I dislike a lot of the film songs, naturally, since I was born after that era and really got introduced to Elvis through VHS showings of EOT and TTWII. So, for that reason, alone, I very much like a lot of the 70s songs.

Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:19 pm

Snake Eyes wrote:For the longest time I despised Wooden Heart with a passion, but I listen to the platinum album while I'm doing odds and sods around the house and it's grown on me. I still really don't like Viva Las Vegas.

BTW, hello I'm new.

Welcome Snake Eyes
my choice would be Promised Land

Thu Nov 22, 2012 6:30 pm

I don't like the studio YDHTSYLM from june 70. But i like the live versions a lot better. Better arrangement and a bit speeded up.

Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:27 pm

philobeddo wrote:I don't like the studio YDHTSYLM from june 70. But i like the live versions a lot better. Better arrangement and a bit speeded up.

i only like the live version of love me tender...not the stuido version

Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:30 pm

Julian Grant wrote:For me, growing up with Elvis thought the 70's I was buying his current releases and enjoying his 60's 'oldies' I never fully appreciated the "Sun" material as it always sounded as a different person as to who I was in to. I certainly grew to appreciate Elvis' first recordings the older I became.

The same goes for me...

Thu Nov 22, 2012 9:53 pm

The point in bold is one that many people fail to recognise on these boards. Just because someone likes the 1970s material doesn't mean that they should automatically like the 50s material as they do indeed sound like different artists. A liking for one doesn't equal a liking for the other.

As for the question of the thread...

Long Lonely Highway
Suspicious Minds

Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:04 pm

Adam and Evil; but I saw the light when it was included on Elvis 75 - Good Rockin' Tonight. :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Thu Nov 22, 2012 11:19 pm

elvisalisellers wrote:Adam and Evil; but I saw the light when it was included on Elvis 75 - Good Rockin' Tonight. :D

The whole "Spinout" soundtrack (including the bonus tracks) ain't that bad of an album, except for a pair of songs.
As for the question of the thread, I can't think of a particular song at the moment, but I used to dislike audience recordings... now I find them a better representation of an Elvis concert compared to many flat and lifeless soundboards.

Fri Nov 23, 2012 12:01 am

Old Shep was the worst.

Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:10 am

As long as i have you
It hurts me.

Sat Nov 24, 2012 11:04 pm

Change of Habit
City By Night
Hard Luck (vastly underrated Blusey track)
The Fairs Moving On

Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:53 pm

The worst three for me are:

Who Needs Money
Confidence
Yoga Is As Yoga Does

Sh*t, but I even started to like "Signs Of The Zodiac" a little when I listened to it a couple of weeks ago.

Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:01 pm

Cant think of any. The songs I didnt like from the onset, I still don't like. Time has not changed my mind. Ito Eats still is horrid as are many others.

Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:37 pm

Twenty Days and Twenty Nights, most of the TTWII album in fact. As a teenager in the late eighties I was much more familiar with the pre 1968 Elvis and his smoother voice and wasn't so keen on what I felt was very middle of the road material which I viewed as very un-Elvis. Only years later did I realise what an idiot I was. :facep: It is of course a great song and one of my favourite albums.

Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:56 pm

To be totally honest, I have never fully appreciated Elvis' body of work recorded at American Studios. It's difficult to explain why but I have never thought of From Elvis In Memphis or Back In Memphis as one of my favorite Elvis albums. There are great tracks that I do enjoy from these sessions but as a whole I rarely ever play those albums. However, as a collector I own pretty much everything to do with these sessions... imports, FTD's, the Legacy Edition... but I find it difficult to play FEIM or BIM completely through... obviously I'm in the minority as I see most people have one or both in their top 5 favorites Elvis LP's.

Image Image

Thu Aug 22, 2013 5:04 pm

elvisalisellers wrote:Adam and Evil; but I saw the light when it was included on Elvis 75 - Good Rockin' Tonight. :D

Please enlighten me.