Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

June 1968 - Press Conference and Comeback Special - Articles

Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:48 pm

Does anyone have scans of the following articles that they can post here? They both give details of Elvis' press conference on 25 June 1968.

'Elvis to Sing, Swing Before TV Cameras Once More' by Wayne Warga
Los Angeles Times, 27 June 1968

'Editor Finds Elvis Presley 'Genuinely Nice Guy' Plans Show Over NBC Next Dec. 3' by Clay Gowran
Chicago Tribune, 1 July 1968

On the same subject, does anyone have a scan of Goldman's assessment of the show itself?

'Elvis? Ah, The Good Old Days!' by Albert Goldman
New York Times, 1 December 1968

Many thanks for any help that's offered.

Re: June 1968 - Press Conference and Comeback Special - Arti

Fri Apr 22, 2011 11:29 pm

Garfield wrote:Does anyone have scans of the following articles that they can post here? They both give details of Elvis' press conference on 25 June 1968.

'Elvis to Sing, Swing Before TV Cameras Once More' by Wayne Warga
Los Angeles Times, 27 June 1968

'Editor Finds Elvis Presley 'Genuinely Nice Guy' Plans Show Over NBC Next Dec. 3' by Clay Gowran
Chicago Tribune, 1 July 1968

On the same subject, does anyone have a scan of Goldman's assessment of the show itself?

'Elvis? Ah, The Good Old Days!' by Albert Goldman
New York Times, 1 December 1968

Many thanks for any help that's offered.

That last review I can well imagine is nothing but a rip on Elvis. The title alone implies the critic saw the special as nostalgia, and not for a past he was fond of in the first place.

Sat Apr 23, 2011 5:50 am

I briefly skimmed Goldman's review...Unfortunately we live in a culture that likes to tear down our heroes. They're almost always flawed and Elvis is no different but this book took it to another level. In his 1968 article he explains that people were reverting back to those golden/simpilar days of youth when you could put on a record and remember the good times. I have no doubt that many Elvis fans felt that way when they saw the 68 special, but I also think he gained a ton of fans at the same time.

I watched the 68 special as a little kid almost 10 years after Elvis died and became a lifelong fan. Its the raw emotion and desperation in that voice that sucked me in. Elvis never sounded the same again. He may have sounded more polished in 1970 but he never sounded that way and I'll love that moment for the rest of my life.
Last edited by TkoTzer on Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:43 am, edited 1 time in total.

Sat Apr 23, 2011 8:55 am

TkoTzer wrote:I briefly skimmed Goldman's review and I didn't get that impression. But I think that underscores his later motives. I actually think he was a fan of Elvis in 1968 ...

Having read other articles of the time from him, it's clear Albert Goldman was an anti-rock, pseudo-intellectual snob. But it would be great if you could post up that 1968 review.

Sat Apr 23, 2011 6:33 pm

All I have is the opening to Goldman's article:

Novocaine lip. Hormone hair. Pale, poached face dripping onto black leather. Yes, its that snarling darling, Elvis Presley, coming up on the home screen for the first time in eight years and in his first special, Tuesday night at 9 on NBC.

And Alan Hanson refers to it in his article on the '68 Special:

http://www.elvis-history-blog.com/elvis-comeback.html

It would be interesting to read the whole thing.

Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:21 pm

Garfield wrote:All I have is the opening to Goldman's article:

Novocaine lip. Hormone hair. Pale, poached face dripping onto black leather. Yes, its that snarling darling, Elvis Presley, coming up on the home screen for the first time in eight years and in his first special, Tuesday night at 9 on NBC.

Boy, what a nasty opening from a nasty, mean-spirited journalist.

Sat Apr 23, 2011 11:24 pm

drjohncarpenter wrote:

Brutal.

Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:41 am

So as to not look like a complete fool, which I will when I post this article, I read some excerpts and thought it to be much more positive. I basically got the impression that Goldman was stating that fans were reminiscing about their childhoods and simpler times during this special.....HOWEVER, after obtaining the full article I feel like a complete idiot because it is definitely in line with everything else we've ever known about Goldman.So, please forgive me for my earlier statements and "enjoy" the full article.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:44 am

Goldman - what a fool. His motives become so blatant when he rips Elvis' appearance in the 68 special...has any entertainer ever looked better?

Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:19 pm

Goldman was just full of hate.

Mon Apr 25, 2011 1:35 pm

TkoTzer wrote:So as to not look like a complete fool, which I will when I post this article, I read some excerpts and thought it to be much more positive. I basically got the impression that Goldman was stating that fans were reminiscing about their childhoods and simpler times during this special.....HOWEVER, after obtaining the full article I feel like a complete idiot because it is definitely in line with everything else we've ever known about Goldman.So, please forgive me for my earlier statements and "enjoy" the full article.

No worries! Thank you for sharing this with us.

How odd that Goldman spends two-thirds of the preview praising Tom Parker and how much money Elvis earned in Hollywood that decade. In fact there is almost nothing about the show itself -- did he not see a screening before writing the article?

And notice also how Goldman offers not one single complimentary thing about Elvis' look, voice or achievements. He calls Presley a "carefully embalmed Roaring Boy" and the show "a triumph for the Colonel." A triumph for the Colonel.

What planet did this man (hater) live on?

In fact all of Goldman's comments regarding rock music are subtly or overly derogatory -- no surprise, because he hated rock 'n' roll.

In fact, the Elvis caricature by the legendary Al Hirschfeld is the best part of the piece.

Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:05 am

TkoTzer wrote:So as to not look like a complete fool, which I will when I post this article, I read some excerpts and thought it to be much more positive. I basically got the impression that Goldman was stating that fans were reminiscing about their childhoods and simpler times during this special.....HOWEVER, after obtaining the full article I feel like a complete idiot because it is definitely in line with everything else we've ever known about Goldman.So, please forgive me for my earlier statements and "enjoy" the full article.

Many thanks for sharing, TkoTzer.

Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:17 am

Garfield wrote:

Many thanks for sharing, TkoTzer.

Yeah, I read his book on Lennon a bunch of years back. It really is disappointing how people can shape perceptions. It underscores the need to learn as much as possible from various sources. The 68 special whether you fully appreciate it or not represents the end of an era in my opinion. Elvis let loose for the last time and that voice would never be hear again. That growl is what made elvis famous and if anyone ever questions his success...point them to that growl.

Fri Jun 24, 2011 8:27 am

I suppose we can pity the fool: Goldman. Not feeling pride in himself, he took pleasure in trying to ravage the reputations of deceased men he envied.

Still, I recall Lennon's still young child taking to the radio to defend his murdered father. Goldman's cruelty knew no bounds.

rjm

Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:51 pm

Novocain lip? Pale? His lips were fine! If he thought Elvis was pale in the '68 Special than I dread the thought of what he considered not pale because he must have been blind. Elvis was anything but pale! He had a glowing tan, sure he was sweating a lot, but it wasn’t unusual for him. He was also wearing tight leather under bright lights and he wasn’t the only one saying that the suit was stuffy. Even the guys thought it looked hot and uncomfortable. Novocain lip? Pale? His lips were fine! If he thought Elvis was pale in the '68 Special than I dread the thought of what he considered not pale because he must have been blind. Elvis was anything but pale! He had a glowing tan, sure he was sweating a lot, but it wasn’t unusual for him. He was also wearing tight leather under bright lights and he wasn’t the only one saying that the suit was stuffy. Even the guys thought it looked hot and uncomfortable. Nothing was wrong with Elvis or the stage performances, nothing. Goldman= Narcissistic, disrespectful and tasteless.

Fri Jun 24, 2011 3:58 pm

Elvisfan10 wrote:
Novocain lip? Pale? His lips were fine! If he thought Elvis was pale in the '68 Special than I dread the thought of what he considered not pale because he must have been blind. Elvis was anything but pale! He had a glowing tan, sure he was sweating a lot, but it wasn’t unusual for him. He was also wearing tight leather under bright lights and he wasn’t the only one saying that the suit was stuffy. Even the guys thought it looked hot and uncomfortable. Novocain lip? Pale? His lips were fine! If he thought Elvis was pale in the '68 Special than I dread the thought of what he considered not pale because he must have been blind. Elvis was anything but pale! He had a glowing tan, sure he was sweating a lot, but it wasn’t unusual for him. He was also wearing tight leather under bright lights and he wasn’t the only one saying that the suit was stuffy. Even the guys thought it looked hot and uncomfortable. Nothing was wrong with Elvis or the stage performances, nothing. Goldman= Narcissistic, disrespectful and tasteless.

He wrote his book to illicit responses, making ridiculous statements as mentioned. Even till this day, 43 years later, his incredble looks still jump out off the screen, when viewing video of this show.

Sat Jun 25, 2011 6:20 am

Joe Car wrote:
Elvisfan10 wrote:

He wrote his book to illicit responses, making ridiculous statements as mentioned. Even till this day, 43 years later, his incredble looks still jump out off the screen, when viewing video of this show.
If only everyone were pale like Elvis was during the '68 Special! :)

Sun Jun 26, 2011 6:22 am

Elvis in 68 had skin like burnished brass. He was beautiful. Not to mention the most creative and shattering set of performances of entire rock era.

The whole world was soon at his feet . . .

Forget Goldman. Notice that no one remembers or cares when "the author" died? He left nothing of value to this world.

Too bad for Albert. {Also the name of that dog in a 68 film.} But the love you take=the love you make.

rjm

Sun Jun 26, 2011 7:06 am

rjm wrote:Elvis in 68 had skin like burnished brass. He was beautiful. Not to mention the most creative and shattering set of performances of entire rock era.

The whole world was soon at his feet . . .

Forget Goldman. Notice that no one remembers or cares when "the author" died? He left nothing of value to this world.

Too bad for Albert. {Also the name of that dog in a 68 film.} But the love you take=the love you make.

rjm
I love watching the performances on the big screen TV so I can sit close with the sound up. It's unfortunately not the same, but at least I have the footage.

Tue Jun 28, 2011 3:15 pm

rjm wrote:Elvis in 68 had skin like burnished brass. He was beautiful. Not to mention the most creative and shattering set of performances of entire rock era.

rjm

:smt023

Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:25 pm

Thanks God, I didn't read Goldman's books. I only read an article in one magazine when he explains his"suicidal theory". The appreciation about Elvis made me to vomit. Secretely, Goldman I think he admired the Colonel for making so much money, and he, an "classy intelctual" have to live on a professor salary. In his mind Elvis was a dump hilbilly (Albert hates Southern americans and all the music from here, including rock'n'roll) who has luck for having the Colonel his manager. I think this embarassed most Goldman: the money Elvis made comparing to what "mr. Professor" earns.

Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:54 pm

midnightx wrote:
drjohncarpenter wrote:

Brutal.

.....and blatantly untrue.......