Anything about Elvis
More than 30 Million visitors can't be wrong

Just recieved "Spanish Eyes by request" GRM CD

Tue Apr 19, 2011 2:25 pm

Got the new 'upgrage' to the old Fort Baxter CD "Spanish eyes" today that claims to have speed corrected the tape. The intro and the closing vamp both end at exactly the same place, yet the new version runs for 2 seconds longer!!??! So I'm wondering how the slightly slowed down speed has been corrected? I could not spot any previously unedited dialogue as was the case with "Good to be back" / "Just pretend". And this new release sounds to run at the same speed as the old version to me.
It's clear the audio has had something done to it - the sound is louder than before, but to me, it sounds more 'splashy' on the treble and a fraction of the ambience on the original 1995 release seems to have gone.
Of course, the packaging is far better with a lovely 20 page booklet, but, apart from the sound being louder, there isn't any signinficant improvement.

Re: Just recieved "Spanish Eyes by request" GRM CD

Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:26 pm

I have ordered a copy. I never expect any dramatic improvement in sound quality on all these reissues. That is just hype. However, I do expect this new GRM release to run at the correct speed. I hope you're wrong about that!

Keith Richards, Jr.

Tue Apr 19, 2011 3:34 pm

The new one runs 2 seconds longer! Make what you will from that!

Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:06 pm

Like I said before...the Fort Baxter releases from the mid 1990's on are very hard to beat in terms of sound quality. The only points GRM really scored on over the original FB release so for was "Good To Be Back".

Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:14 pm

TONY wrote:The new one runs 2 seconds longer! Make what you will from that!

Well, it does seem strange! But since they pointed out that their release runs at the correct spead, while the Fort Baxter CD doesn't, I would be very surprised if they somehow managed to make it run SLOWER than the original, which ran too slow to begin with! If that is the case, I have bought my last bootleg. I think the bootleg scene pretty much died with Madison but I am looking forward to this particular CD because I don't have the original Fort Baxter CD.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:22 pm

Keith Richards, Jr. wrote:
TONY wrote:The new one runs 2 seconds longer! Make what you will from that!

Well, it does seem strange! But since they pointed out that their release runs at the correct spead, while the Fort Baxter CD doesn't, I would be very surprised if they somehow managed to make it run SLOWER than the original, which ran too slow to begin with! If that is the case, I have bought my last bootleg. I think the bootleg scene pretty much died with Madison but I am looking forward to this particular CD because I don't have the original Fort Baxter CD.

Keith Richards, Jr.

Well...you could at least keep the booklet. :lol:

Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:29 pm

The speed IS corrected. I believe that GRM wanted to make chipmunk release but somehow it didn't feel right :roll:

Since it has been transfered again the fade out could be a little longer. I didn't read anywhere that they wrote "For the first time the uncut uneditted show.." and I don't believe 2 seconds would justify to scream it of the roofs LOL

::rocks

Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:48 pm

TCB-FAN wrote:Like I said before...the Fort Baxter releases from the mid 1990's on are very hard to beat in terms of sound quality. The only points GRM really scored on over the original FB release so for was "Good To Be Back".

But you forgot the best one Vegas Rhythm a clear and big improvment :D

Tue Apr 19, 2011 4:49 pm

Maybe something is wrong with my ears, but to me the new GRM release sounds way better than the old FB CD. SPANISH EYES obviously was dragging, while SPANISH EYES - BY REQUEST appears to run in correct speed. Despite a little error in the booklet (the suit is called BLUE RAINBOW SUIT and not BLUE SWIRL SUIT) and a bad cut & paste job (even Larry Geller couldn't mess the King's hair up like GRM does) the release also looks fine to me.

Maybe I am easy to please, but I am looking forward to other Fort Baxter re-releases by GRAVEL ROAD MUSIC.

:D

Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:23 pm

TCB-FAN wrote:Like I said before...the Fort Baxter releases from the mid 1990's on are very hard to beat in terms of sound quality. The only points GRM really scored on over the original FB release so for was "Good To Be Back".

I agree,i wont get this one just for a booklet and alternate package,i'll keep my fort baxter,actually played this the other day and sounds pretty good to me!

Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:28 pm

Thekingstillrocks wrote:The speed IS corrected. I believe that GRM wanted to make chipmunk release but somehow it didn't feel right :roll:

Since it has been transfered again the fade out could be a little longer. I didn't read anywhere that they wrote "For the first time the uncut uneditted show.." and I don't believe 2 seconds would justify to scream it of the roofs LOL

As I said in my original observation, the intro fades in at the same place, and the closing vamp fades out in the same place. Unless there's a snippet or two of previously cut or edited dialogue, this cd runs for 2 seconds MORE, so how can this CD (which is supposedly 'speed corrected') actually be running at a faster speed than the original release?!

Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:49 pm

Hi Tony ,

Not that it matters but ever heard of time stretching ?
It's not that when speed goes faster or slower the running time is altered . we are talking about a pitch correction and key.

The GRM starts just with a second silence early and ends a sec later with silence..no other reason to be found.

btw Spanish Eyes by Request 61.48 & Spanish eyes by Fort Baxter 61.46

About the jumpsuit . They are right , it is the blue swirl.... or as the designer said , ever seen a blue rainbow... , the blue rainbow was a nickname slipped in by fans.

Last edited by Thekingstillrocks on Tue Apr 19, 2011 6:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:53 pm

Thanks for clearing that up, TheKingStillRocks. Now I am looking forward to the CD again.

The Welz wrote:.... and a bad cut & paste job (even Larry Geller couldn't mess the King's hair up like GRM does)

That one was hilarious! :D

Keith Richards, Jr.

Tue Apr 19, 2011 10:30 pm

Just got my copy and the layout is stunning....as always..no disappointment..

The show is excellent...Elvis was in top condition..and way better here then he was in Vegas...sound is fine, too..

Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:26 am

tuttifrutti wrote:But you forgot the best one Vegas Rhythm a clear and big improvment

Without a doubt, the best sounding bootleg concert I've ever heard.

Wed Apr 20, 2011 10:18 am

Thekingstillrocks wrote:About the jumpsuit . They are right , it is the blue swirl.... or as the designer said , ever seen a blue rainbow... , the blue rainbow was a nickname slipped in by fans. ::rocks

And how does the designer call the "blue swirl suit"? OK, I have to admit that I have never seen a blue rainbow, but I also doubt the existance of a "chineese dragon" and no biologist has ever heared of an "aloha eagle". Maybe one should use the same names and descriptions everyone else is using. It certainly helps to avoid chaos.

Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:37 pm

Hi Dirk,

Chinese dragons are legendary creatures in Chinese mythology and folklore. In Chinese art, dragons are typically portrayed as long, scaled, serpentine creatures with four legs. The Ahola Eagle is in fact the American bald eagle, but given the "Aloha" for a simple reason since there are more Eagle patern jumpsuits made after The concert on hawaii 1973.. but it remains the orginal American "bald" Eagle.
The Blue swirl you refer too is the Four leaf clover or easier said "Lucky" jumpsuit. Its all very logic , if you look close to the paterns of the suits.

If you look at the Blue swirl you notice that the top of the blue lines start at his shoulder crosses his belly and go further down on his leg and on the back another swirl in the same way but opposite shoulder, the original belt which belongs to it has also de vertical stripes on the sides following the patern of the swirls on the suit.
Best shots are from Dayton 74, there he wears it with the right belt.

Hope you get it a little , just tried to explain it !

Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:29 pm

Believe me, if one sticks to the names and expression everybody else is using, life is much easier. :idea:

Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:33 pm

The Welz wrote:Believe me, if one sticks to the names and expression everybody else is using, life is much easier. :idea:

What if everybody would say "The Fat Guy From Memphis" ?
Huhhh .... :mrgreen:

Wed Apr 20, 2011 2:35 pm

After years of strict budget for my Elvis collection - a family with 4 childern is quite expensive - I recently took it on by buying the new GRM discs Spanish Eyes and Good To Be Back. Boy oh boy - I cannot compare to earlier releases but sound and art work are excellent. A great addition next to my FTD collection. Count me in for any new GRM release!

Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:36 pm

KempoDick wrote:What if everybody would say "The Fat Guy From Memphis" ?

Elvis was from Tupelo. :idea:

But I cannot believe that anybody would call the singing junkie in the fag-suits that way. :twisted:

Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:40 pm

Received my copy today.
Although I have the FB release to, i'm quite impressed of this release. Not only the fantastic package (+ postcard and invitation card) but certainly the overall sound is better imo, a bit clearer, but i think when you listen with earphones the feeling is more real.
Certainly no regrets here.

Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:11 pm

dj bobby wrote:Received my copy today.
Although I have the FB release to, i'm quite impressed of this release. Not only the fantastic package (+ postcard and invitation card) but certainly the overall sound is better imo, a bit clearer, but i think when you listen with earphones the feeling is more real.
Certainly no regrets here.

But no speed correction and there is distortion where they have plumped for a higher volume. The whole thing now sounds brash and LOUD. I prefer the original in this instance.

Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:38 pm

But I think we all agree you cannot layout a disc better..just fantastic..
And the sound is decent, too although opinions of course almost every time differ when it comes to sound questions..

Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:30 am

Just compared both cd's. The GRM is a little different soundwise but not necessarily better, imo. I'm no expert on this, but I would say the "mix" is a little different. If you're not interested in lay out or booklet I would let this one go if you already have the FB.